Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Correction, two choruses. (And it's no fast blues number either, it's probably less than 60 BPM which would put it at well over 90 seconds).

2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Who said anything about 200% humidity? It's more like 10-15% except in the winter when it usually rains which I like.
    This summer was extremely unusal for the number of 100 degree days (over 30). It's usually 15 or maybe 20and they usually aren't stacked up together. Normally it's 90s for a high and upper 50s to low 60s at night which means we open our windows at 8:00 and the house is 70 degrees in minutes and by bedtime we're in the 60s and reaching for a blanket.
    That is perfect imo. What sucked this summer was multiple days of 100 degrees + and multiple times. Maybe that is the new normal, I don't know. Time will tell, but it hasn't been the usual for the 35 years I've lived here and I've been to Philly and great town but the humidity was horrid. No way I'm running scared to the east coast for one summer. I'm made of stronger stuff.

dzhason and Crispy Rob like this.
  3. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Somebody on the thread was saying that about having a hot and humid summer, maybe I'm confusing you with someone else. Perhaps fastandskillful over in Japan.

4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I think so. It is famously humid in Japan and he did mention it.

dzhason likes this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Humidity is relatively rare in California, and on this side of the coastal hills, 100 degree days are extremely rare, and even 90+ is rare. But on the downside, as discussed above, is that decent used vinyl below double digit prices is hard to come by, not to mention the high cost of living in general. I did pick up a good Tower of Power record for less than $2 earlier this year, but that sort of thing is the exception, not the rule.

dzhason likes this.
  6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Maybe... east coast is still b:ignore:...

7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

If by saying that you mean folks who live there have to go around saying "this humidity is a b", "these bugs are a b", "this snow is a b", "these toll roads are a b", etc., well then, yeah. Just kidding -- I hail from the east coast and like to visit, especially in the fall (which I never do, now having school age children). Looking forward to next year's visit, where I hope to make it back up to Maine for the first time in two decades after a work-curtailed trip about 10 years back.

dzhason likes this.
  8. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Heh heh, nothing like stoking a little east coast vs. west coast rivalry to lighten the mood. Truth be told, I love all of the cardinal directions equally, it's those intercardinals that I keep an eye on.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

My friend's record shop has lots of $1 records. If you are starting a collection and don't have much you'll find some bargains but for someone who has a big collection the chance of finding something special that you don't have and have been looking for is next to nil. My time is worth money too and I'd rather look in the stacks with a better rate of return.
    I spend as much time listening to music and talking to Rick as I do actually looking at records so time is of the essence. I'm not thirteen and spending four hours in a record shop doesn't work for me anymore. I like to do other things besides hunt for records, like play the ones I already have.

dzhason and Crispy Rob like this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

The problem with that as I see it is with the internet it isn't always easy to tell when someone is having fun vs. a serious jab and people can react in ways they might not face to face, emoticons or no emoticons. It's also been done to death and I fail to see the humor in it anymore.

dzhason likes this.
  11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Well I thought it was all light hearted but am fine putting it to rest and never speaking of such things again. We don't want a Biggie/Tupac situation to develop.

dzhason likes this.
  12. teag

teag Forum Resident

Like falling into the ocean?? :laugh:

dzhason likes this.
  13. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Hey, I love the west coast, after going to visit my wife's uncle's family there several times in the early '00s it used to be my dream to move to San Francisco. Now after I've lived in a variety of different places in the last 20 years I've figured out that I can be happy anywhere (although the giant freaking centipedes in Dominica really freaked me out, so maybe not there). Nevertheless, I realize I have a problem keeping serious, from here on I'll try to straighten up and fly right.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Tom Jobim "My Soul Sings." This is a fascinating collection of non-Jobim tunes done by the maestro in his final years for inclusion in the "Songbook" series of cds from Brazil. Excellent sound and those excellent arrangements and "familia" band from the late period. I love this!

[​IMG]

Soulpope and Jackie P like this.
  15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

One doesn't need to be serious all the time but I've lived in a lot of places in my life so I've heard a lot of rivalries concerning this place and that place either sucks or is paradise and it has really gotten old. So I apologize for calling you out but it must still be a hot button for me. Paradise as we all know is in the mind and attitude. Every place has its good and bad points and it comes down to preferences really. Having seen these kinds of things blow up into name calling and worse, I feel it has no place in a thread like this that tries to be inclusive. If one wants to start such a discussion, start a thread on that topic and flail away. I just won't be joining in.

16. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Finally found this in the bins. Wish I hadn't sat on my hands for so long,

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, Crispy Rob, DTK and 3 others like this.
  17. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I'm not sure where to post this so I chose here because everyone here knows these albums.
    I just got Wayne Shorter's Super Nova CDP 7 84332 2 and Odyssey Of Iska CDP 784363 2 albums on Blue Note CDs from 1987. In other threads I have read that CDs from this period are superior at least to specific titles, for example The Beatles catalog and Bowie's Low, Heroes, Lodger German pressings and others.
    Anything about these particular CDs that I may or may not like as compared to different versions, if there are any (btw I should have checked that first)

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

A terrific live session.

[​IMG]

Soulpope likes this.
  19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Those are pretty good versions. I prefer the more recent Japanese cd reissues, but these early ones can be great sounding. I didn't like the early Blue Notes on a previous incarnation of my system that much, and they sound better now but I still prefer more recent masterings, but we're all different and so are our systems and rooms (which is why I don't really believe in a "forum consensus" regarding sound quality).

JeffMo and YpsiGypsy like this.
  20. Richard Rowland

Richard Rowland Well-Known Member

First Meditations - John Coltrane ( ABC Impulse )

vanhooserd likes this.
  21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Those were probably taken from the master tapes and if so should state that on the back cover. I don't own those so I can't comment about them specifically but the early Blue Note cds used the master tapes which in a general way can be better than the RVG remasters which some people on this board have issues with. That might be what you've heard regarding the early cds. Imo the Beatle albums don't sound as good as many of my jazz cds but you can't really compare albums across the board like that so take that with a big grain of salt. Most of those old Blue Note cds were recorded live with little or no overdubs unlike The Beatles who were frequently bouncing tracks again and again trying to squeeze more pieces and parts onto a song.

YpsiGypsy likes this.
  22. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

It's ok, I feel neither offended nor called out for anything as I have no sincere interest in such rivalries and felt we were just engaging in a bit of good-natured and satirical ribbing. Since I generally don't take such rivalries seriously, I probably take it for granted that there are those who do, even those who are willing to do so to a point resulting in tragedy. It is for those tragedies resulting from an inability to let go of such trifles that I do feel sorrow, and this is something that I do also feel has gotten old. Plus, the last thing we need, after all, are further thread splinters into "Listenin' to West Coast Jazz and Conversation" and "Listenin' to East Coast Jazz and Conversation".

Crispy Rob likes this.
  23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I sat on my hands for a long time on getting Pangaea, which I'm glad I finally got up for. Earlier today I was playing a bit of Miles Live at the Fillmore West (aka Black Beauty), which I promise had nothing to do with recent thread proceedings, it's just the first thing that comes on when I choose Miles Davis on the hard disk drive in the van.

Crispy Rob, DTK and Leeston like this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My wife just showed me the quarterly summary of credit card charges with ALL music items highlighted in yellow (MANY box sets!!). That was a preface to a meeting on finances on Monday.

Next time, I'll ask her to use a different color, like green. (You remember the children's song: "Yellow means caution; Green means GO!")

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stu02, Crispy Rob and dzhason like this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Many decades ago, my girlfriend always talked about "harmony." Not musical harmony, but spiritual and metaphysical harmony. She always wanted to know if I was "in harmony". Now I considered myself "new age", but more "Old School New Age" (like Charlie Parker-Jack Kerouac style new age). I usually was silent or mumbled something unintelligible.

I took a trip out to California without her to drive the entire coast. Along the way, I came to a place called Harmony, California. I took a photo of the village border road sign, with the population (as they used to do) and mailed it to her. I told her that in California, there were ONLY 18 people "in Harmony".

[​IMG]