Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Duke Ellington and Johnny Hodges - Back To Back (Verve) AP stereo SACD
    Now this is my kind of Ellington. Hodges is amazing. I've had this on cdr for years so glad to have a really nice version. Like Smokin' At the Half Note the sound on this disc is really superb.

2. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

Martini #2 calls for Miles' ultimate @$$holery on full display.

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
    Original 1970 US pressing on Columbia Records

[​IMG]

3. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I just got this SACD today as well, I was also thinking it sounded like they were in the room with me, well, ok, in my case I was actually thinking that it sounded like they were in the room next to me (since I was blasting it from the living room over to the kitchen), but same difference, I suppose.

bluejimbop likes this.
  4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Yeah, it has a real presence as does Back To Back (posted above). I'm listening to my last new disc which is Duke Ellington & John Coltrane on Impulse and while it sounds good it lacks that little bit of magic that the Verve albums have.

Lonson likes this.
  5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Wrong drug! :D

6. OldJohnRobertson

:D

7. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Listening to Eric Dolphy Last Date on a Japanese Limelight LP I picked up recently. I first heard this album about 30 years ago when I was in graduate school and borrowed the cd from the Evanston library. It is really a great album, music band and sound.

[​IMG]

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Johnny Hartman "The Voice that Is" Impulse! Analogue Prouctions SACD

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Six String like this.
  9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

John Tchicai With Strings
    Not real strings but electronic sounds that he plays over.

bluemooze and Lonson like this.
  10. dpb

dpb Forum Resident

Marc Ribot ‎– Don't Blame Me
    [​IMG]

James Carter Quartet ‎– Jurassic Classics

[​IMG]

and a few John Zorn

11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Eastern Rebellion (Timeless)

Cedar Walton
    George Coleman
    Sam Jones
    Billy Higgins

Such a fine album.

12. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I enjoy jazz cover albums if they're innovative and a bit outside-the-box, and both of these qualify. As a big Bruce Cockburn fan, I've had the Occhipinti for a while but the CJT was a new one for me (my wife brought it home) and is a nice find; great sounding disc, to my ears.
    The Cockburn tribute features Don Byron, among others. Both are well worth seeking out if this kind of project floats your boat.

jay.dee likes this.
  13. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Well it looks like I kicked up some interest with this. I had pulled out the Blue Notes Collection [box, on Ogun] from 2008 last night and this morning read through the accompanying booklet. It's mind-blowing what those folks had to go through to simply play their music. Clearly it was the playing of that music that gave all of their lives a penultimate meaning and allowed them to so constantly bear the harassment, deprivations, poverty and general suffering that they did. Most of them were never able to return to their homeland either and virtually all of them died young, or too young. (I think Louis Moholo may still be alive.)

There's a book written by Chris McGregor's wife Maxine published a number of years ago. It's a good read on the subject:

Maxine McGregor: Chris McGregor and the Brotherhood of Breath: My life with a South African jazz pioneer. Flint, MI: Bamberger Books, 1995; ISBN 0-917453-32-8

I also heartily recommend the various Brotherhood of Breath recordings (and there are quite a few out there). Even though there is a lot of overlap in the specific compositions performed the energy and vitality of those recordings is quite unique in the pantheon of jazz.

Craig's Story and jay.dee like this.
  14. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Yes, they all shine here, but how many times do they quote "It Ain't Necessarily So"? This and Way Out West make me think Grant could've made a great Xmas record.

15. Lonson

To the "It Ain't Necessarily So" quotes I say "So What" ("So What" seems melodically influenced by the Gershwin tune to me). Yeah, Grant could have made a great Xmas record. I'm glad he didn't. I don't really like Xmas records.

My favorite Blue Note Xmas record is Duke Pearson's. I play it once every three years or so. . . .

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  16. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

Heard this for the first time today. If you happen to have grown up in the era, I give you...

bluemooze likes this.
  17. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

NP El Chico Chico Hamilton
    August 65 Impulse
    Jimmy Cheatham Trombone
    Al Stinson bass
    Sadao Watanabe alto and flute
    Gabor Szabo guitar
    Victor Pantoja and Wilkie Bobo Latin
    Latin percussion[​IMG]
    Any of you drummers may like this very much percussive groove lp from Chico.
    I’m thinking Carlos Santana must have known this record

18. Lonson

Yes, I love all the Chico Hamilton Impulse! records (though some on this forum dismiss them). Great players and some exciting music.

As a drummer Kenny Clarke and Chico Hamilton were inspirations. And there is a recording of Chico's group playing on the evening I was born. . . which is cool. :) (And ironically Kenny Clarke also recorded the same day, perhaps even the same time, with Hank Jones as part of the Trio on Savoy).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Stu02 likes this.
  19. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

Arguably the all time first Jazz-Rock/Fusion album:

20. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I subscribe to the Now-Again Records drip.fm service and this was included. They also released it as a deluxe LP. I agree that considering they were budget recordings, the sounds is pretty good. I love hearing underground or private press jazz, and have enjoyed that reissue.

21. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

What a joyful album. And what a marvel Hank Jones was at 87 and playing like that.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, bluejimbop, markp and 3 others like this.
  22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Miles and the Second Quintet at the Plug Nickel (Columbia)
    Box set disc 6.

23. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Amazing hearing Chico’s late 50s west coast sound and then his Latin Infused El Chico lp and then within 12 months he has this sound
    This track is so different with the syncopated percussion almost sounding like a machine or almost electronically processed ...
    It’s so modern in feel for 1966 to my ears anyways.

tribby2001 likes this.
  24. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

lovely synergy between Kenny, Ron Carter and Billy Cobham on this ...one of my favourites from Creed Taylor’s label
    [​IMG]

25. OldJohnRobertson

And now for my score of the day today. Not an original pressing, but close. Judging by the label and the advertisement inner sleeve, this was pressed around early 1969.

John Coltrane - Coltrane Jazz (1961)
    1969 US stereo pressing on Atlantic Records

[​IMG]