Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. This is a video DVD from Montreux in 1977, Milt Jackson, Ray Brown, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis, Clark Terry, and Jimmie Smith (the drummer, not Jimmy Smith the organist). It's cheap and man, does it sound amazing!
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  2. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

NP - and which reminds me I need to pick up Basra at some point.

[​IMG]

3. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

His friend Pharoah Sanders has this great compilation 2 CD set from his impulse era.
    [​IMG]
    For the first time edits and cuts are very well done. Easier to digest some of the longer tracks.
    Note that I have no problem with jazz long tracks, usually they are my favorites.

Well, I've just put "compilation, CD, edits and jazz" on the same post - going to be expelled from this thread for sure.

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

No, you're going to stay put. Happy to have you posting here and none of those words are verboten. :)

I don't have the compilation, I just have all the Pharoah releases on Impulse separately. Wondeful work.

Yesternow likes this.
  5. Lonson

Since discussion has turned to "Out to Lunch" (a release I respect more than I like--though I respect it a helluva lot!) I stuck in the Blue Note SHM-SACD that arrived last week.

Eric Dolphy "Out to Lunch" Blue Note SHM-SACD

[​IMG]

Of the four new SHM-SACDs I've heard this one sounds the best.

bluemooze, Noisefreq1, markp and 9 others like this.
  6. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Roy EldridgeRoy Eldridge and His Orchestra [(A) from The Complete Verve Studio Sessions] (Clef EP C 158 / Mosaic — Verve Records)
    — Roy Eldridge (trumpet) Buddy Tate (tenor sax) Teddy Brannon (piano) Clyde Lombardi (bass) Charlie Smith (drums).

[​IMG]

Also issued as side A of the Clef 10" LP MGC 113 Roy Eldridge Collates and as part of the 12" LP Rockin' Chair (Clef MGC 704 / Verve MGV 8088).

[​IMG]

Roy EldridgeRoy Eldridge with Strings [(B) from The Complete Verve Studio Sessions] (Clef EP C 131 / Mosaic — Verve Records)
    — Roy Eldridge (trumpet), unidentified orchestra of strings, flute, French horn & rhythm section with George Williams (director).

[​IMG]

Also issued as side B of the Clef 10" LP MGC 113 Roy Eldridge Collates and as part of the 12" LP Rockin' Chair (Clef MGC 704 / Verve MGV 8088).

[​IMG]

bluemooze, markp, Stu02 and 3 others like this.
  7. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Had to split this post to fit in the extra images:

Roy EldridgeThe Roy Eldridge Quintet / Rockin' Chair [(C) from The Complete Verve Studio Sessions] (Clef EP C 199 / Mosaic — Verve Records)
    — Roy Eldridge (trumpet, vocals) Oscar Peterson (organ) Barney Kessel (guitar) Ray Brown (bass) J.C. Heard (drums).

[​IMG]

Also issued as side A of the Clef 10" Eldrige Quintet LP MGC 150 and combined with the 10" LP Collates to create the 12" LP Rockin' Chair (Clef MGC 704 / Verve MGV 8088).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  8. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I just played the Music Matters two-LP 45 rpm edition over the weekend. I think the sonics on the album generally are a little overrated, I think the record suffers from the RVG overmodulated drums problem, but the pressing sure sounds better than the old, played to death Liberty copy I bought 25 years ago, and there's a lot more kind of room sound in warmth than I remember in the old mastering!

I never much warmed to the Dolphy Prestige albums. But Out to Lunch and the Five Spot live stuff with Booker Little just blew me away on first listen, as did Iron Man. And like I said, Dolphy, he was in the middle of so many moments in the era -- he's there on stage with Coltrane at the Vanguard in '61 as Trane is assembling the classic quartet; he's there for the Free Jazz session; he's there with Mingus as Mingus tries to respond to the new thing; he's there on one classic albums after another --Blues and the Abstract Truth, Out Front, Jazz Abstractions and Point of Departure; it's quite amazing, his footprint on the era.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  9. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Thanks for that detailed reply...good stuff...over my head to some degree musically but things to ponder and learn from.

10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I had to come in to the office today and it’s quite a drive, so I was able to play:

Donald Byrd - Fancy Free (SHM-CD)

[​IMG]

Darius Jones - Big Gurl (Smell My Dream)

[​IMG]

William Parker - Oneal’s Porch

[​IMG]

All fantastic. The Darius Jones is really a thing of intense beauty, I expected to more enjoy the other Jones album (with an extra horn) that I have, but this trio album ended up being my favorite.

11. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Robert Dick & Ursel SchlichtPhotosphere (Nemu Records)
    — flute & piano; recorded live at Kulturhaus Dock 4, Kassel, Germany in 2004.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  12. Lonson

My favorite Paul Jeffrey album finally released on cd.

Paul Jeffrey "Family" Mainstream Records/Solid Records Japan

[​IMG]

with George Cables (p), Stuart Butterfield (fr h), Joe Gardner (tpt), Hamiet Bluiett (bar), J.C. Williams (b cl), Bob Stewart (tuba), Wilbur Ware (b), Stanley Clarke (b), and T.S. Monk. (d)

bluemooze and Soulpope like this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In the early 1980's, I called Roy Eldridge at his home phone. He was absolutely thrilled to be talking to a fan, and he chatted for nearly two hours! It was great fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lester and Roy

[​IMG]

Roy, Ella, Max and Oscar 1952

[​IMG]

14. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

I have a copy of this album, which I've loved for decades but the title is "Chick Corea - Extasis". It was years later that I found out this was actually Pete's record. I assume that Chicks label sometime later basically stole it and put Chick's name on it. If I remember, it's Chicks first example of him playing on a commercial recording.

15. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

I agree, this is an absolutely wonderful sounding SHM-SACD. I also love Wayne Shorter‘s SPEAK NO EVIL from the same series.

Lonson likes this.
  16. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Gong - Gazeuse!

I was reminded of this on another thread. One of my favorite albums of all time. I'd like anything with four percussionists.

Pierre Moerlen – drums, vibraphone, marimba, timpani, glockenspiel
    Didier Malherbe – tenor sax, flute
    Allan Holdsworth – guitars, violin, pedal steel
    Mireille Bauer – vibraphone, marimba, glockenspiel, toms
    Benoît Moerlen – vibraphone
    Francis Moze – fretless bass, gong, piano
    Mino Cinelu – percussion

bluemooze and alankin1 like this.
  17. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Unlike many other Dolphy recordings I have never really warmed up to Out to Lunch, maybe because I listened only to the RVG remaster which is said to sound cold and detached (and it does IMO).

However, I dig plenty of the music that seminal album inspired, including its entire reworking (or rather re-imagining) devised by the Japanese guitarist Otomo Yoshihide:

[​IMG]
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTWYiy7Nz1g

bluemooze and Lonson like this.
  18. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

The RVG remaster is just plain horrible. I could never relate to that one myself. The new SHM-SACD is a complete different story. What a wonderful album!

bluemooze and jay.dee like this.
  19. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

Have you had a chance to listen to the ECM albums with Bobo Stenson ?
    From 1989 -1996 they recorded 5 albums , all of which to me his best period

20. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

Yes let’s not forget he sounds wonderful on Blues and the Abstract Truth
    I am very happy with the sound of the music matters 33 Out to Lunch , and would consider the record itself to be a contender for my desert island

bluejimbop, Morbius and Gabe Walters like this.
  21. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Gave this AP 2x45 from the Black Friday sale a third spin (4th and final of my 4 purchases). I forgot to post it over the weekend... Mine has one loud tick on side 3, but otherwise it is perfect like the other three 2x45 sets I purchased during the sale. Anyone else have this or is it just my copy?

WP: Grant Green - Grantstand

[​IMG]

Next up, a couple Blue Note Classics this evening. Starting with...

NP: Hank Mobley - Thinking Of Home

[​IMG]

Recorded July 31, 1970 and didn't see a release until 1980.

22. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

The kick drum is too hot on the whole recording. I've always been annoyed and distracted by the fuzz on it. I'm also not all that crazy about the RVG soundstage or bass. It's not particular to the MM version, it's the underlying recording. But the MM version has a nice sense of space and the surface damn sure beats my old well played copy!

23. Lonson

I like Yosihide but didn't know about this one. Cool.

jay.dee likes this.
  24. I bought this on release, I just couldn't resist the photo of the stern obasan (trans. formidable old lady not to be messed with) on the cover. There's lots of humour in the music too, it's clear that Otomo loves the source and wants to pay homage rather than just slavishly imitate. By chance I was listening to some of this a few days ago as I reorganised my cd storage system. I've never played these back-to-back but I've a feeling it would be fun.

jay.dee likes this.
  25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I got the SACD version in the sale, I’ve been sticking to the SACDs of their Blue Note series, although I did get three of the on sale 45s for titles that I wanted that weren’t on sale on SACD.