Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Sure. Try it out! Welcome.

rxcory and Crispy Rob like this.
  2. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

I had never even heard of Decware, but their machines sure look great. I wish I could say that about the Meier gear...

Jan‘s amps offer different levels of crossfeed, so you can adjust it to your needs. To me, it is a major relief not have a sax blowing STRAIGHT into my left or right Meatus acusticus. Art Pepper meets the Rhythm Section in stere over headphones without crossfeed, is nothing but painful.

3. Postercowboy

Well, you may want to check that one out on Youtube before buying the album. It‘s different, to put it mildly and not everybody likes it.

Electric and tinnox like this.
  4. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Thank you I told my friend I know some had guitar and he recommend that one

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

My Taboo Mk IV headphone/speaker amp has two types of cross feed and they are adjustable. I just don't prefer to listen to them and usually leave them bypassed.

6. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

It's a fair jump from Kind of Blue to Bitches Brew, if you're going straight into the electric period, In a Silent way might be a more gentle starting point.

Having said that, you might love Bitches Brew straight off, you wouldn't be the first person.

7. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I don't believe in taking it slow when exploring new and possibly challenging music. Bitches Brew is a must hear. There is the remix and the original LP mix by Teo Macero. The MFSL SACD uses the original mix. Most Sony CDs have the Mark Wilder remix. If you're not strapped for cash, I'd say get the MFSL.

bluejimbop likes this.
  8. Postercowboy

New, possibly challenging for some, absolutely enchanting for others:

Jen Shyu - Song of Silver Geese now out on Pi Recordings

[​IMG]

9. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

In a Milt Jackson mood today. Just finished Bags Meets Wes! Now playing:

Milt Jackson- Live At The Museum of Modern Art 1965
    [​IMG]

10. Postercowboy

I believe in making educated choices. Back in my vinyl days, I would preview everything I found interesting in my local record stores, these days I do it online. Why not sneak-peak a new album when you have the chance?

On Bitches Brew the MFSL is the way to go, but already the SACD is $40, the vinyl is even more expensive. That amount of money only to probably find out it‘s an album you‘re not so crazy about after all?
    It was an interested project, and a major hype when it came out, but to me, it’s nowhere near Miles’ greatest work. If I had to choose a personal top-five from his electric period, Bitches Brew would not make it. Nothing wrong with it, there are just so many other Miles Davis albums I like better.

11. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

12. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I also sample most music before spending money on it, but a very select group of albums just needs to be experienced by anybody interested in the genre as a whole or a particular artist. Bitches Brew is one of them imo. The MFSL will be easy to sell on once it's out of print. Not much of a risk.

rxcory and Electric like this.
  13. Postercowboy

I don‘t know about that. First of all, I think music should be fun, not an academic endeavour.

For anyone seriously interested in Free Jazz, there is no way around Peter Brötzmann‘s Machine Gun album. It took about 30 years for this album to be recognized as anything but unstructured noise... And for good reasons. I grew up with the Experimental and Noise music scene of the early 80s, so for me this album was rather easily accessible and I still like it a lot.
    I believe that is one of the albums everybody seriously interested in the history of Jazz should have heard at least once in life. I also believe, that once is good enough for most.
    To me, Bitches Brew falls in the same category. A landmark release, but not necessarily everbody‘s cup of tea. Everyone can agree on KOB, but BB is an entirely different animal.

jay.dee likes this.
  14. Postercowboy

Made me pull this one out:

Modern Jazz Quartet 1957 Cologne 1959 Bonn Blu-Ray Audio

It‘s fun, and while I like Milt Jackson‘s cooperations with Miles Davis, Coleman Hawkins, and others, this is probably the only MJQ recording I will ever need. I do like them as a concept, but there‘s only so much 19th century chamber jazz I can actually listen to.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Soulpope and BluTom like this.
  15. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Certainly understand the sentiment. I have to be in the mood as well.

Now playing:

Sun Ra And His Arkestra- Supersonic Jazz
    [​IMG]

rxcory, bluemooze, Six String and 4 others like this.
  16. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Bought a lot of CDs just to find out later I really didn't like them. So back in the dark days I illegally downloaded several albums. Mainly those I just liked a couple of songs. Now thankfully we can access them legally by many subscriptions available.

This was one of those cases.

I consider Billy Cobham an exceptional drummer, but that "speed" fusion is not what I like.
    But this track... I'm a sucker for ambient songs played by top jazz players.

Great late night song:
    Heather, taken from
    [​IMG]
    Do you like that cover ? It's the image of that song (that's what I like to think :)).

Roger Thornhill likes this.
  17. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

One of his best
    [​IMG]

rxcory, lschwart, bluemooze and 10 others like this.
  18. moops

moops Senior Member

This is a great cost effective way to sample some Miles Davis and it includes the original mix of Bitches Brew ......

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B005ELZNH0

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Starwanderer and Joe F like this.
  19. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Thank you will check into very much appreciated

moops likes this.
  20. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

If you want the albums most like Kind of Blue, then I recommend Milestones, 1958 Miles, Someday My Prince Will Come, Seven Steps to Heaven, and E.S.P. With only 1958 Miles featuring the Kind of Blue band, though there is some overlap on some of the others.

For live material, I’d recommend In Person Friday and Saturday Night at the Blackhawk, Miles in Europe, My Funny Valentine, ‘Four’ and More, and the forthcoming collection of concerts with John Coltrane from 1960.

bluemooze and tinnox like this.
  21. Joe F

Joe F Senior Member

Not much listening today, mostly organizing and cleaning my listening room. My ABC Impulse section.[​IMG]

rxcory, yasujiro, Moebius and 11 others like this.
  22. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I love "Bags" but my wife loves him even more.

bluejimbop and BluTom like this.
  23. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Listening tonight to Bobo Stenson's new cd on ECM, Contra la indecision. Another great one in Bobo's excellent series on ECM.

Connot get my tablet to correctly paste a picture.

24. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Kind Of Blue and Bitches Brew were my intro to Miles...I played 'em back to back. This was about six years ago. KOB I dug right away whereas I'm still trying to digest Bitches Brew. I like it, but I admit it's not a Miles Davis album I reach for very often. I liked my wife's reactions: for Kind Of Blue she said something like "I like this- we should put this on before bed sometime!":p Bitches Brew on the other hand -particularly when Miles comes in on the delayed trumpet on the title track- simply got a "What the f--k is that?!" from the missus:laugh: Haven't played it in her presence since...

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You could play Kind of Blue to go to sleep, and set up an alarm clock to play Bitches Brew at 6 AM. It'll get you up. Clock makers have spent a lifetime searching for tones that will make someone shout ""What the f--k is that?!"

But a bottle of this stuff will put you both to sleep. Better do it when you don't have to get up at 6AM

[​IMG]