Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Thanks. I've seen that one before on lp but that's been a decade if not more. The Theresa label that the other one is on is a small label out of the SF Bay Area so it might be harder to locate. I'm not sure about cd releases though I have seen other titles on cd from the label so it is possible I guess. The pianist John Hicks recorded for the label too and they are also good imo.

2. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

Sorry for this additional obsession with Birdland

This is the same spot today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A painting based on the image, but the artist removed the most interesting focal point. He probably thought buyers of his print would avoid it with a jazzman in the picture
    [​IMG]

The original building still stood recently, but maybe not for long. The joint is still a bar/eatery (with the added feature that the staff removes their clothing, especially when it is hot)

[​IMG]

It recently become a strip club...that is Birdland

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  3. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

But today, the infamous sidewalk sheds are in place, an omen for a short future for one of the meccas of bebop. A new sterile glass tower rose next door, an indicator that this will be the next phase for Birdland. But the strippers still have work. That white building to the right replaced the cluster of the greatest jazz clubs of NYC and the world. When you walk down 52nd Street today, you will not be bumping into anyone on the sidewalk.

Real estate barons killed the life of this city. Now, most of the shops are the same that you find in any suburban mall.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Doggiedogma and jay.dee like this.
  4. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 Yellow brick, Black on black

At least we still have the vanguard

:cool:

5. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

That is great.

You should have met Max Gordon (the owner of the Vanguard). His very presence, his conversation was pure jazz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

It was on this spot out in front of Birdland, in 1959, that Miles Davis was beaten up by police for being who he was

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Doggiedogma like this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

But at the grand opening in 1949, an all star line-up played at Birdland. Lester Young AND Charlie Parker. Notice Harry Belafonte's name there, years before he became a big star, singing with Bird! Hot Lips Page and Getz and Tristano, Warne Marsh too. 8 hours of music until 4AM. All for 98 cents. Parker probably got the sweet spot at midnight.

But Lester opened Birdland, which was probably on his mind as he spent that evening looking out at the door to the jazz mecca.

By the way, they had cages of birds all over the club when it opened, but they could not survive all of the smoke

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

A very unusual 1949 image of Lena Horne by Herman Leonard. What a powerful woman. She might have enjoyed today's movement.

[​IMG]

9. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

It's late, just time for that last 3AM set at Birdland on opening night in 1949. Charlie Parker and Lester Young are blowing together. Simply unbelievable.

It is time for me to start up the imagination machine and enjoy their music together

[​IMG]

Blue Note, bluemooze, peter1 and 2 others like this.
  10. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 Yellow brick, Black on black

Looks like lennie tristano on piano no?

11. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

yes

Mugrug12 likes this.
  12. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum Resident

Cannonball revisits several of his career favorite tunes, just a few months before he passed away.
    [​IMG]
    I'll revisit this one today:
    Cannonball Adderley - Phenix, 1975

13. yasujiro

yasujiro Forum Resident

NP: The World of Cecil Taylor - Candid/Tokuma 32JDC-103

[​IMG]

It was recorded at the Tommy Nola’s penthouse studio onto 2 track recorders.
    IMO this 1987 CD is the best digital mastering that sounds powerful, clean and well articulated.

bluemooze, xybert, Joe F and 6 others like this.
  14. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

A thank-y0u to the late Nat Hentoff...

yasujiro likes this.
  15. yasujiro

yasujiro Forum Resident

16. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Tenor Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone – John Coltrane
    Bass – Art Davis (tracks: 1 to 4), Reggie Workman
    Drums – Elvin Jones
    Piano – McCoy Tyner
    Alto Saxophone, Flute – Eric Dolphy (tracks: 5 to 8)

John Coltrane - wow! In 1961, was there anyone else that was stretching songs to 20+ minutes and having extended solos as long as Coltrane? I believe that Coltrane might have been the man who began the "jam" band form. Hearing his improvised solo's (and Dolphy as well to a lesser extent) are just so far ahead of what was happening in not just jazz, but music in general. I know that Hindu music can have long sitar passages, but in America was there anyone else at this time period that was improvising and extending solos and stretching songs like Coltrane?
    I just can't get enough of Coltrane from late 1960 - 1963.

rxcory, bluemooze, xybert and 8 others like this.
  17. Bobby Boogaloo

Bobby Boogaloo Heavy on the grease please

Mingus' bands with Dolphy were doing it, albeit a bit different, but they were definitely stretching things out. I think it was pointed out earlier in this thread how Dolphy was a common participant in all of the new movements in jazz during this time frame.

rxcory, Gabe Walters, Stu02 and 2 others like this.
  18. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Forum Resident

19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Hampton Hawes - The Seance (Contemporary) gold/green stereo label
    Red Mitchell and Donald Bailey complete the trio recorded in a club in L.A. 1966.

rxcory, bluemooze, vanhooserd and 2 others like this.
  20. Bobby Boogaloo

Bobby Boogaloo Heavy on the grease please

Never seen or heard this before but I'll have to remedy that. The cover art is outstanding. Does anyone know the artist? Was it Phil Carroll who created it or was he serving more as art director for this, using someone else's art?

21. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Serge ChaloffBoston 1950 (Uptown Records)
    — With Nat Pierce, George Jones, Joe MacDonald, Sonny Truitt, Joe Shulman, Rollins Griffith, Al Vega, Jack Lawlor, Sonny Tacloff, Milt Gold; Hi-Hat, Boston; Celebrity Club, Providence, RI.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, xybert, Joe F and 4 others like this.
  22. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

This photo gives me a headache. I know it's using any available space possible for advertising and adults can make any choice they want but seriously how am I supposed go to Yoga, drink a beer, drink less beer and drink kombucha instead while finding my soul mate while sucking on a e-cig in a strip club. ahhhh America.

bluejimbop, NorthNY Mark and Mook like this.
  23. Lonson

Lonson Don't get around much anymore Thread Starter

Keith Jarrett "After the Fall" Disc 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze, xybert, cedarbrew and 4 others like this.
  24. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

How is it?

25. Lonson

Lonson Don't get around much anymore Thread Starter

I think it's great. But I'm a big fan of this trio.