Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Fans of Jimmys groundbreaking lps from the early 60s with Bley and Swallow might want to check out this Capitol release from 1955
    Already working out his minimalist ideas on what i call “ rhythmless rhythm section”
    Theres bass and drums but deconstructed and sparse used as pure compositional elements more then for rhythm. I mean there is an implied rhtyme ( sometimes in my head i think i hear an implyed swing to this even!!??) but If this sounds too intellectual for its own good let me say emphatically the result is truly beautiful and endlessly interesting

1955 Amazing.

[​IMG]

lschwart, bluemooze, Berthold and 6 others like this.
  2. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I stared to play Explorations the night before last but after a few minutes realized I was in the mood for somexploratory and put on Ben Monder’s Oceana. I’ve had these 3 albums of Ben’s for a while and I’ve had them all off the shelf in the last week for the first time in a while and really have been enjoying them. When I listen to one of his albums I feel kinda like I’ve just been beamed down from the Starship Enterprise to an exotic planet that I’m exploring for the first time (Star Trek original series, of course).

Yesternow likes this.
  3. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

That makes for a nice morning. Has anyone ever noticed the humming sound that is on some of this album? I think I read on here years ago that the mono version did not have it. I've since got the mono though, and it's there too. Doesn't take away from the music but maybe someone on this thread knows the story?

xybert likes this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Yazz Ahmed, "La Saboteuse"

bluemooze, peter1, MagicAlex and 3 others like this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

They are trying to clear out old stock, not new releases. Anyway, if they offered a sale on that so soon after release, many advance order people might be upset, etc.

6. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I finally got a copy of this on CD. Jimmie Rowles, known more as an accompanist than band learder, put out this wonderful album under the aegis of Stan Getz. Jimmie's rhythm section is Buster Williams and Elvin Jones. Getz also plays on several cuts. Personal highlights are the Wayne Shorter tunes, one of which features Jon Hendricks & Co. A really great album.
    [​IMG]

7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I have no idea when it was released but I did figure it was probably a newer set; that makes sense.

8. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I haven’t but I actively DONT try to track errant noises down. In fact I generally glaze my eyes when such talk starts happening ( common on the Music Matters thread).
    As soon as I hear these things that’s all I hear unfortunately so the ostrich technique works best for me. [​IMG]

peter1 and Mugrug12 like this.
  9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Giving my second listen with my first bourbon to

Kamaal Williams
    The Return

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Not to mention the great vocals by Jimmy Rowles

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

12. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Well I certainly wouldn't want to get into the Messi topic of being great at free kicks for Barcelona vs being bad at penalty kicks for Argentina.

:)

Yesternow and Stu02 like this.
  13. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

WP: The second part of the twofer and first time listen: Max Roach: Deeds, Not Words

um.. just wow, great stuff. Can't believe I didn't have this in my collection before now.

[​IMG]

Oh and I wasn't kidding about Speak Brother Speak and needing more Clifford Jordan. Recommendations welcomed.

bluemooze, jay.dee, Berthold and 5 others like this.
  14. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

See this thread: Question about Bill Evans Portrait in Jazz, high pitched noise....

I'm sure that there was another thread that went in to more detail but i can't seem to find it.

Another thread with some related info here: Bill Evans - Portrait in Jazz vinyl, best way to go...

bluemooze likes this.
  15. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

The incomplete concert by the sea (CD 3) 2015.
    The Mrs. went to bed so the volume is respectable.

I have X number of blue note late 80's releases that were off direct two track tape and
    Y number of 2000's that were 24-bit transfers. Do I need to "upgrade" the old Cds.
    Lee Morgan 'The Sidewinder' is from the late 80's. Any thoughts?

bluemooze likes this.
  16. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Harris Eisenstadt - Golden State

Personnel: Nicole Mitchell: flute; Sara Schoenbeck: bassoon; Mark Dresser: contrabass; Harris Eisenstadt: drums, compositions.

A wonderful album. That front line of flute and bassoon sounds so fresh, and Dresser and Eisenstadt are something to behear too!

[​IMG]

17. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.
  18. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Yeah i haven't heard it either, thankfully.

rednedtugent likes this.
  19. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

20. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Julie London - Calendar Girl (SHM-CD)

[​IMG]

bluemooze and vanhooserd like this.
  21. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I listened to that earlier today. Very nice album. I really liked the album she did last year with The Decemberist under the name Offa Rex.

Stu02 and Tribute like this.
  22. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Was playing

Ever since digging this one out a couple of weeks ago I’ve had it on the mind and have been wanting to give it another listen. The tracks “Kush” and “Mantra” were always my faves, but a fresh listen reminded me how enjoyable is the entire album and also added new faves “Four Folks Songs”, “Love is Proximity”, and “A Day in the Life of Man Ray”.

Ben Allison & Medicine Wheel - Third Eye

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    bluemooze, xybert and Six String like this.
  23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Now Playing

Bill Evans - Explorations (SHM-CD)

[​IMG]

24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Just got home from a show at Gold Lion Studio with Thumb Screw, the trio with Mary Halvorson, Michael Formanek and Tomas Fujiwara. They played SF last night. This is was a lot more intimate and probably less $. They played a lot of original music but they did play a Herbie Nichols song (House Party Starting) and The Peacocks by Jimmy Rowles. The latter was up there with Bill Evans and Stan Getz versions of that beautiful tune. Mary's exquisite use of delay an expression pedal really set a mood appropriate for the song. Jaw dropping, as was the rest of the show. What a great trio. I missed them last year when they came through and played the Nebraska Mondays gig at Luna's Cafe. Glad to finally get to hear her play and she did not disappoint. I picked up both of their cds, one of originals (Ours) and another of standards (Theirs).

Edit: I see jazzmonkie posted the Jimmy Rowles album on the previous page. :righton:

bluemooze, Stu02, eeglug and 3 others like this.
  25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

The Glass Bead Game on Strata East is a classic by Clifford Jordan. His Live At Ethel's on Mapleshade is very good. Also Spellbound on Riverside and Blowing In From Chicago with John Gilmore on Bluenote. I have another that is a tribute to Leadbelly, These Are My Roots on Atlantic but fair warning there are some tracks with banjo so you might want to hear that one before plunking down your money.

WorldB3 and Lonson like this.