Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I think that you are right. But considering other musical genres, there have always been artists that had lived unconventionally. Also among classical musicians, we know biographies where unconventional behaviors are described. Some names: Schubert, Mozart or coming to more recent times, Leonard Bernstein.

2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Has no one mentioned this yet? It's the obvious choice, but it's also just the greatest of the great -- pretty much Bird's best playing (he practiced very hard for these sessions, and contrary to common belief that Norman Granz put him up to recording with strings, it was Bird who wanted to do it and he had to convince Granz to go with it, or so I've heard). Just about my favorite Bird. In fact, my wife and I both love it so much it was the dinner music at our wedding:

[​IMG]

3. Moebius

Moebius Forum Resident

The Vandermark Five - Elements of Style, Exercises in Surprise (Atavistic / 2004 CD)

[​IMG]

This was hitting the spot today. Found my copy at the local charity shop incidentally.

bluemooze, MagicAlex, jay.dee and 2 others like this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Keith Jarrett "A Multitude of Angels" Disc 2, Ferrara concert

5. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

So great. Love it thanks!

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I am not a big fan of jazz with strings, but I love this release. It's fantastic. Been way too long since I've played it, but I should get it out again soon.

7. tensummoner

tensummoner wish i had a nickle.. thats it just wish i had 1

loving this thread. getting some damn good feedback and answers from everyone, TY. Seal is an odd artist, maybe that's why I like him. true he did release an album of "standards" recently yet I was primarily thinking just about his second album. his first was no doubt house techno, but his second... hmm hard to define... jazzy downtempo? its also near impossible to find on vinyl. the few copies I have found are going for well over $200 depending of where they are pressed. Germany and UK big money ...but the Brazil pressing still selling for over $100.

8. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Seal playing saxophone. Hard to define... Jazzy ?!?

bluemooze likes this.
  9. Yesternow

Thanks @Lonson and all others who gave several "jazz with strings" album advises. Some of those I already have (like the amazing Getz/Focus) but others I need to look for.

Following @chervokas lead I'll play another classic (from the great Gil/Miles team):
    [​IMG]
    Miles has great album covers, but IMO this is not one of them. I really don't get that picture.

Found this online that might help if anyone else shares my doubt:

"Roy DeCarava (the photographer) said that he had been trying to track down Miles for some time to get the cover photo because the album was done and Columbia wanted to get it out there. Only thing missing was the cover photo. Miles kept dodging him, not showing up for appointments, not returning his calls, etc. So, finally, Mr. DeCarava just shows up at Miles’ house one day and knocks on the door. Miles answers the door, looks at him for a minute and just says, “ahh ****, Roy”. So Miles invites him in and they shoot the photo in the back yard of Miles’ upper west side brownstone with Miles’ wife. I think he said it took no time at all, very quick."

xybert, bluemooze, Berthold and 3 others like this.
  10. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Today's listening list was Hamiett Bluiett - Live At Carlos I: Another Night, great stuff

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Dahabenzapple and jay.dee like this.
  11. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

LP - original Columbia pressing

[​IMG]

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I actually love this cover. And I think it's significant, the opera is a love story between Porgy and Bess and this cover seems to show an affectionate moment between a man and his woman. (Who happen to be Miles and Frances).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  13. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Miles smiles and Coltrane ponders. Just framed these Don Hunstein prints.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AaronW, bluemooze, Crispy Rob and 9 others like this.
  14. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I agree. I actually think it's pretty sexy. (I hope I don't have to elaborate).

L.

Lonson likes this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Nice Work If You Can Get It

16. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Indeed.

L.

17. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Haha nice! He's already better than captain beefheart.

18. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Tonight's commuting music:
    [​IMG]
    Disc two...I put on "Calypso Frelimo" as soon as I got to the bus stop and it was just fading as I walked through the door into work, so my commute takes about thirty two minutes:laugh:

Some of the edits in that track are hilarious...Teo Macero certainly didn't seem to hide the fact that some of these tracks were edited, pieced together, etc, did he?

xybert, bluemooze, Crispy Rob and 4 others like this.
  19. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Charles Tolliver Big Band 2

[​IMG]

Soulpope, markp, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  20. Yesternow

Now playing:
    [​IMG]

Has it's ups and downs.
    I'm a Gil fan, but in this case I prefer Jimi's original versions.

Soulpope and bluemooze like this.
  21. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I know that album. I think that Evans has arranged more impressive version of Hendrix's Tunes in his various live albums of the late seventies and early eighties.

A nice example is this album recorded at Royal Festival Hall in 1978:

REST OF GIL EVANS LIVE AT THE ROYAL FESTIVAL HALL LONDON 1978

It only includes two pieces composed by Hendrix:
    in particular Voodoo Chile arranged by Howard Johnson is a little jewel; the tuba player is Bob Stewart.

[​IMG]

22. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Never heard this one, but that's a heck of an interesting band. Thanks for this, I'm gonna try to give this one a listen.

eeglug likes this.
  23. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

If you like it, there are 2 other albums from the same run of concerts - I don't have them but they're probably of comparable quality. (One of them has Mulgrew Miller in place of Pullen).

24. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I'm not sure that's on Teo, during this whole period, from In a Silent Way through his mid-'70s retirement, Miles was doing a lot of extreme cutting and pasting in the studio to pull pieces together. All the studio albums have extreme and abrupt cuts. That was part of the Miles conception at the time.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  25. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Marcin Wailewski Trio

[​IMG]