Listening to Ten Years After... and digging it

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dnuggett, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I'm listening to the self titled and digging it. What's your favorite album from this band?

2. chodad

chodad Hodad

Cricklewood Green

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Aside from what was already mentioned, A Space In Time is another good one. Ssssh is good too and I like Rock & Roll Music To The World as well. Watt is one of the weaker ones IMHO.

Their live albums are fantastic! Recorded Live, Live At The Fillmore East 1970 and Undead are awesome.

zelox, Scopitone, old school and 4 others like this.
  4. +1.

footlooseman and bluemooze like this.
  5. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Count me in as a general fan and particularly the first album as well. All around great band with a high-quality catalog of excellent records. Cheers!
    ------------- Chris

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They are one of my favorite bands and Alvin Lee was really good especially live!:righton:

zelox, mooseman, Humbuster and 3 others like this.
  7. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

Ssssh, Cricklewood Green, and Stonedhenge get the job done for me.

MONOLOVER, ti-triodes and bluemooze like this.
  8. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Yeah, the first album is one of the great little unknowns...definitely my favorite of the catalog.

9. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Rock N Roll Music To The World. It is also one of my all time favorite albums. Wore the 8 track to it out back in the early 70s.
    Second to that is Recorded Live, which I think is the greatest live guitar album ever done.

John Fell and bluemooze like this.
  10. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Ssssh and Cricklewood Green.

905, Remurmur, John Fell and 2 others like this.
  11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I saw these guys in 1971 and it was a great concert. Alvin Lee was something else.

12. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I like them all, but Rock and a Roll Music is my favorite. Check out Alvin Lee solo too, On the Road to Freedom is very good.

13. old school

old school Senior Member

Undead just a true classic and killer live album.

14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:righton:

old school likes this.
  15. Same here. It was at old Forum in Montreal.

footlooseman likes this.
  16. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

A Space in Time ........

texron, zelox, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  17. Linolad

Linolad Forum Resident

Ssssh! For me

bluemooze and Zeki like this.
  18. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes sir. "Woodchopper's Ball" just kills. I got to see Ten Years After twice before Woodstock and they were a great live band. The first time Buddy Guy and Junior Wells opened for them, and the second time Bo Diddley did. A musical education.:D
    Alvin Lee was the focus of course, but the whole band was good. Ric Lee is pretty much forgotten about these days but he was a very good drummer.

19. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

I'm a TYA nut and I admit it. "Cricklewood Green" is their peak for me, and for some I'm also a sucker for WATT, if just for "I'm Coming On" and "My Baby Left Me" .
    Though decidedly different from its two predecessors, I rate "A Space in Time" as my 2nd fave.
    For those who don't know, "Recorded Live" was rereleased as a double CD last year with a large bunch of fantastic extra tracks from that early 1973 tour (a frigging last, I may add).

Their first album is real cool, almost casual; to me, it sounds like FRESH CREAM taken a step further into more Blues and a bit of Jazz plus the organ. And Alvin sported the same Afro look as Big E at that point, haha!

zelox, footlooseman, slipkid and 2 others like this.
  20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Good point Dondy! Now Recorded Live is twice as nice. :edthumbs: Some of the tracks added are actually jams which highlight the band's ability to improvise.

zelox and Dondy like this.
  21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Great point about Ric Lee Glenn. I would also add that Leo Lyons was somewhat overlooked as well. The rhythm section was adept at rockers, jazzier and improvised numbers and slower blues numbers which shows their versatility.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  22. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

That's the Ten Years After era I love the most. Alvin Lee's hair style was freakin' cool back then! My three favorite albums are the self-titled, Undead and A Space in Time.

Invader Zim and bluemooze like this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Besides the Blues and the Jazz influences one thing that really stands out to me is the early Rock and Roll sound of Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and even Elvis. They kept that sound pure and powerful. Choo Choo Mama and Baby Let Me Rock n Roll You Are examples of this wonderful earlier sound that they never dropped or wantered down.

That sound is essential to any band claiming to play Rock and Roll.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    bluemooze and zphage like this.
  24. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Intererstingly, aside of quoted bits and pieces in "Im Going Home", their first out-and-out R & R number to occur was Sweet Little Sixteen" on WATT. And that was already three years into the game!

25. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

From 1967 to 1972 they had one of the greatest stretches of albums by anyone.
    It's hard for me to pick a favorite, but for now I'll say Cricklewood Green.

zelox, bluemooze and dylankicks like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.