Listening to the Guess Who

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kennynd, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yep, and then they went into "Orly" like as if it was the current hit. I about fell outta my chair.

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

*paradise

3. pool_of_tears

A great 1-2 punch.

4. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of that era too.

With the addition of Bill Wallace for the recording Artificial Paradise, Burton realized that 2/3 of Brother was now in the band. AP was as democratic an album as the Guess Who would ever produce. 5 of the tunes were co-written by Wallace (including one with his lead vocal).

Once Artificial Paradise tanked, the Guess Who went back to being the "Burton Cummings show". #10 had one Wallace co-write and no lead vocals.

5. pool_of_tears

Exactly!

Burton's ego kicked in, and he had to have control for #10. Not sure why, as that album (which I love) tanked. Yeah, Burt...how did that work for ya?! :)

Comet01 likes this.
  6. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

Also, Kurt Winter had only one co-written song on #10 and one co-written song on "Road Food". He did most of the songwriting with Burton on his first album with the band "Share The Land". The last two albums with them hardly had any of his
    contribution. Not sure if that was Burton's fault or not.

7. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Actually Wallace had 1.5 lead vocals. He's lead on "Bye Bye Babe" and then trades off leads with Cummings on "All Hashed Out" which to me is one of their great deep cuts. Stellar musicianship for all on this cut.
    In my opinion Cummings made a mistake in sidelining Bill Wallace and Donnie McDougall from the songwriting process.
    Artificial Paradise didn't sell but some of that blame can go to the cover and the packaging. They should have tried the democratic approach for at least one more album.
    Also a poster above pointed out the Brother connection and Kurt Winter's songwriting on Share The Land. I think it's well known Bill Wallace at least co-wrote those songs and is uncredited so Winter's lack of songwriting by AP, #10, and RF is not that surprising.

Comet01 likes this.
  8. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't think the name Guess Who helped in the long run.

BeenAround likes this.
  9. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

More like the Canadian Deep Purple.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

People went to their concerts expecting songs from "Guess Who's Next".

11. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Some of their songs were good parts joined to bad parts, like "Self Pity" which not only shifts tempo, but also mood and context. I'm guessing Burton needed a song and joined two unfinished pieces to send an album off to the pressing plant.

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Running through the entire catalog, once again. Up to Live At The Paramount, the extended Buddah CD that is.

Bumping to reignite the Guess Who Appreciation Society that lives right here, in the wood paneled walls of SH.tv :tiphat:

clhboa and Mr. LP Collector like this.
  13. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I was playing American Woman the other day. 3 big hits on one record.

Mr. LP Collector and Myke like this.
  14. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Ages ago, I was fortunate enough to hear the complete Paramount show. Fabulous. The Buddah disc is well done, but the whole show is superb.

Myke likes this.
  15. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Was that Time Being at the automotive Building.
    I saw them there but can't remember the year...very early in their career.
    Might have been 68 or 69.

16. John54

John54 Senior Member

No, I was in the bleachers at Excruciation Stadium ...

17. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

The fact that the Guess Who are not in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame is a travesty.

18. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Totally agree!!!!

19. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Me too. I had to look....

INDUCTION PROCESS

EACH YEAR, THE ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME FOUNDATION'S NOMINATING COMMITTEE SELECTS THE GROUP OF ARTISTS NOMINATED IN THE PERFORMER CATEGORY.

Ballots are then sent to more than 900 historians, members of the music industry and artists—including every living Rock Hall inductee—and the five performers receiving the most votes become that year's induction class. Beginning in 2012, fans were given the chance to vote for the nominees they'd like to see inducted into the Rock Hall. The top five vote-getters in the public poll form one ballot, which is weighted the same as the rest of the submitted ballots.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  20. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

And the lp after that, Share The Land, had 3 chart hits as well; Hand Me Down World, Share The Land, and Hang On to Your Life.

Saw these guys a few decades back. Love them then, still do!!

Myke likes this.
  21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I just today got my Guess Who two-fer of Road Food / #10 SACD in with stereo and quad sound layers. I'm waiting for the sun to set here in the west so it's nice and dark before I fire up everything and sit down to really listen.

here check it out:

duttonvocalion.co.uk store: The Guess Who - Road Food & #10 [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel] | New releases - Popular | CDSML8538 |

Derringer's first two arrived as well on a 2-fer.

duttonvocalion.co.uk store: Rick Derringer - All American Boy & Spring Fever [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel] | New releases - Popular | CDSML8540 |

22. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Just thought I post that Amazon has the Iconoclassic reissue of Road Food in stock for $10.99, it had been hard to find or kinda expensive when I looked before. I ordered a copy, will arrive Friday. Can't wait to give it a listen!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088317E4

23. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Got both of those in the mail yesterday myself. Haven't had time to listen to either all the way through but "Clap For The Wolfman" sounds great in Quad.

Myke likes this.
  24. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Nah....that would be these guys. :)

25. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I don't know if you have any of the others but for a few more dollars you could have this also. It was mentioned earlier in the thread. Wheatfield Soul is not part of it but that is OK. I wasn't really a fan of it. The next 3 are very good. Canned Wheat being my favorite. So Long, Bannatyne has two of my favorite songs in Pain Train and Rain Dance. I will be interested in your opinion of Road Food. I have mine...............:shh::D

By the way, the sound quality varies on each of these.

[​IMG]

carlwm and ccbarr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.