DCC Archive Live albums... Best and worst.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ian, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Driver8

Driver8 Well-Known Member

Best:
    Allman Brothers - Fillmore East
    Grateful Dead - Live/Dead
    Grateful Dead - Europe '72
    Grateful Dead - Grateful Dead
    Grateful Dead - 5/8/77
    Crosby/Nash - Another Stoney Evening
    Neil Young - Live Rust
    Phish - New Years Eve 1995
    Who - Live at Leeds
    Doors - Absolutely Live

2. coldnebraskablue

coldnebraskablue Member

Would add to the "Best" list - My Morning Jacket - "Okonokos"

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  3. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

One of the best (and newest):
    King Crimson - Live in Chicago 2018
    This current version of KC is a beast

One of the worst:
    Bob Dylan - Live at Budokan
    Love Dylan, but these Las Vegas-style versions of his back catalogue are pretty bad, IMO

crozcat likes this.
  4. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Forum Resident

Nice to see Love mentioned, so lucky to have that one documented. Stellar performances from Arthur and band.

Still my favorite!

5. T-Mac

T-Mac Well-Known Member

A few in the best category
    AC/DC - If you want blood, great live album from the Bon Scott years
    OZZY - Speak of the Devil, great solo takes on the old Sabbath catolog, wore it out back in 82.
    Motörhead - no sleep till Hammersmith . A sonic onslaught if there ever was one

A few for the worst
    Aerosmith - Live Bootleg, just never got into this one, sounded like the spark was gone save for Mother Popcorn
    The Doors - Alive she Cried. Love The Doors but just a fragmented waste
    KISS -Alive IV. Zzzzzzzzzzzz

6. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Best: Queen "Rainbow '74,

[​IMG]

7. Siegmund

Siegmund Forum Resident

BEST:

(I'm going to leave out all the usual suspects)

Tim Buckley: Dream Letter. All of Tim Buckley's live albums are worth owning but this is probably the best and it sounds like it was recorded yesterday.

WORST:

David Bowie - Stage. The 'Berlin' material wasn't really suitable for live performance and the sequencing goes out of its way NOT to sound like a live concert (with that cardinal sin of live albums - fade-outs between tracks!).

8. I can just about live with overly energetic performances, but those electronic drums that Bill Bruford (ab)used so much during this period ruined many otherwise great projects, such as the Yes "Union" shows - did every odd song really need his mechanical rattling accompaniment in the background?

9. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I can’t say what’s best or worst since I’ve only heard a small fraction of what’s out there.

My favorites are
    Charles Mingus - The Great Concert of Charles Mingus (1964 European tour)
    John Coltrane - Olatunji Concert- The Last Live Recording (1967 hard to believe he would be dead a few months later with the shear power of this performance. Actually, there are several live Coltrane albums among my favorites—pick one)
    Miles Davis - Dark Magus (1974 - An evil sulfuric sounding wall of noise with some of my favorite guitar work on record)
    Peter Brotzmann - 3 Nights in Oslo and The Sclippenbach Trio - Swinging the Bim (2010 and 2001 - sounds that would peel paint)
    James Brown - Love Power Peace Live At the Olympia, Paris 1971 ( a well
    Oiled machine worthy of Ellington’s band)
    Speaking of which - Duke Ellington- The Legendary Fargo Concert (1940 - Blanton, Webster, Hodges)
    Jerry Lee Lewis - Star Club Germany(1964 - the Killer shows the upstart beat boom acts who’s boss)

Most disappointing (remember, this is my opinion- don’t take this like I just insulted your mother)

Live At Leeds — when I bought this circa 1975, it was already considered a classic “best ever”
    type of record. Side one - so far so good. Side two. —uh oh —Magic Bus - never liked that song. My Generation medley- just give me a powerful 3 minute My Generation, please— I very rarely like medleys.

Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out. This seems to be where Jagger stopped singing and started with that annoying barking he continues with today, plus too much guitar noodling, which I don’t come to the Stones for.

Least Favorites

Dylan And the Dead (of course I knew it would be terrible, but I still bought it, though no longer own it)
    Bob Dylan At Budakon (or “Vegas Bob” as we used to call it)
    Rolling Stones - Still Life (absolutely appalling. They should be ashamed of themselves) Love You Live would have made the list as well, but side 3 is salvageable.
    Aerosmith - Live Bootleg - I’m always surprised at the love this thing gets. I always thought they should play this in schools to discourage drug use.