Live albums with no overdubs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SolitaryMan, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Apologize if it's been mentioned already...

Pictures At An Exhibition - ELP

2. "Is Everyone Listening?" by Supertramp features the band just before the release of "Crisis? What Crisis?" performing some songs from that album as well as "Crime of the Century". It was on CD 20 plus years later on Burning Airlines and features no overdubs at all.

Roxy Music's "Heart Still Beating" features little to no overdubbing IIRC as the band had been broken up for years when it came out. Ferry didn't want the album released at all. It's not their most energic years or collection but the best moments are quite good.

3. Surely you jest. There's so much overdubbing that was done on that album it could almost qualify as a studio album.

4. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Just about everything on all of NRBQ's live albums are all live.
    I think one track was recorded at a sound check, but no attempt was made to hide that fact.

5. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

You are absolutely correct. That one is a pure live album!

It's officially known as "Chicago At Carnegie Hall" (their fourth Columbia release), it remains the best selling (4-record set) multi-disc record (reached #3 on Billboard Album Chart and certified platinum) and was released in late 1971 for Christmas shoppers.

Attached Files:

6. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Sheffield Labs are among my favourite audiophile (vinyl) records. All of their recordings were recorded live without overdubs. The artists cannot afford to commit any mistakes during the recording session as the music is being recorded live straight to the lathe cut disc.

Some of my favourite direct-to-disc recordings are:

SHEFFIELD LAB:
    Lincoln Mayorga & Distinguished Colleagues Vol. II - The Missing Linc
    Lincoln Mayorga & Distinguished Colleagues Vol. III

Note: Session artist Larry Knechtel (Bread) was the bass player of the above recordings.

Harry James: Comin' From A Good Place
    Harry James: The King James Version
    Harry James: Still Harry After All These Years
    Dave Grusin: Discovered Again
    Tower Of Power Direct
    Adam Makowicz (ma-ko-vitch)

NAUTILUS REC.

Victor Feldman: Secret Of The Andes
    John Klemmer: Straight From The Heart
    John Klemmer: Finesse
    Tim Weisberg: The Tip of The Weisberg

COHEARENT REC. (engineered by our own Kevin Gray)

Victor Feldman: In My Pocket

7. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

After all those years, the voice and the vibe are different and you can't recreate either.

8. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

Aerosmith - Live Bootleg?

I am assuming that Jesus Lizard - Show and the live Archers of Loaf album are not overdubbed, but I have no info regarding that.

9. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

What about any or all of the King Biscuit Flower Hour releases?

10. frank010

frank010 Well-Known Member

Overdub heaven.

11. frank010

They are. Sign O The Times - supposedly a live in concert film - was mostly filmed on a soundstage at Paisley Park, with crowd shots from the tour's Rotterdam stop. You can find bootlegs of him and his band playing multiple takes of songs and going through the various dance routines.

12. the original has some backing vox added.

Iggy's tv eye live & PiL's paris au printemps are untouched

13. no exceptions for Nirvana.
    but David Live was overdubbed ( and still they couldn't give it any life or energy!)hammersmith 73 was overdubbed
    Oy Vey Baby sounds untouched

14. sorry for the triple post this thread got me thinking.
    no actual overdubs on the clash @ shea stadium but lots of pro tooling

1st disc of the police' 1995 album (boston 79) sounds clean but disc 2(atlanta) prob had "fixing" on tea in the sahara

15. frank010

Parts of Heart Still Beating were originally released as The High Road - Can't Let Go, Like A Hurricane, Jealous Guy and My Only Love. These were overdubbed. Like A Hurricane is hideous, but the rest of the EP is great.

16. frank010

Stage was supposedly undubbed. Why don't I believe that?

Oy Vey Baby was indeed untouched, ditto the forthcoming Nassau Coliseum show on the Station to Station deluxe reissue.

17. Resonater

Resonater New Member

I mixed the recently released, Leonard Cohen's "Songs From the Road", and this CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/Vinyl contains no overdubs. Just the live performances as they happened.

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

According to Tony Visconti Stage was undubbed, as was David Live except for the backing vocals.

19. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Anybody mentioned 4 Way Street? It doesn't sound overdubbed to my ears. Stills was mad at Crosby 'cause he wanted to fix something here & there, but the old Croz was happy with the 'honest feeling' of the album.

20. Some of Frank Zappa's (w/ or w/o The Mothers) basically live albums admittedly contain tons of overdubs on some tracks:

"Roxy & Elsewhere"
    "Bongo Fury"
    "Tinseltown Rebellion"

Others are not supposed to:

"Ahead of Their Times"
    "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore" (any volume)
    "Imaginary Diseases"

Others still don't sound like they do to me:

"Fillmore East, June 1971"
    "Just Another Band From L.A."

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Fillmore East has a few overdubs (for instance, there are two Flo & Eddies at the end of "Tears Began To Fall").

No overdubs on YCDTOSA except where noted (one studio track included on YCDTOSA 5, one overdubbed track on YCDTOSA 6).

JABFLA, Imaginary Diseases and Ahead Of Their Time have no overdubs.

22. I didn't know that: thanks pbuzby!

23. Tom Petty's vocal on "My Back Pages" is also an overdub. The TV footage makes clear that Petty's mic wasn't functioning properly. The little bits of vocals that can be heard do not match what's on the final album and video.

24. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

This is a great thread...

25. Live at the Fillmore East by The Allman Brothers and Derek & The Dominos at the Filmore West always struck me as two albums that appear to have no overdubs. Since DD had broken up by the time the album was issued, I doubt there are any overdubs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.