London Hi-Fi show

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by aashton, Sep 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aashton

aashton Here for the waters... Thread Starter

Well I'm glad to say that the return to the Renaissance and Le Meridian Hotels near Heathrow was a massive improvement over last years debacle at Hammersmith - hotel rooms aren't great by a long chalk but some of them are far less great than others ;)

I had a chat with Tim De Paravacini in the E.A.R room and asked him about the longevity of the 12AX7/ECC83 valves (tubes) in the V20 Amp - he believes that they are good for 5,000+ hours because of the unique way he has used them. If he did go into the details of the special way then my haven't got a clue what your talking about filter was working 100%. The massive E.A.R M100A monoblocks were driving Quad ESL-989 loudspeakers with a dose of Echoes from Pink Floyd - Tim was rightly proud of getting a mention in the credits on the album. The overall sound was very relaxed at low to medium volumes - one of a handfull of fine sounding systems at the show - but when the volume rose in loud passages the sound became muffled and it became harsh - so close but no cigar.

The usual scrum for the Krell demonstration didn't materialize this time round - in some ways this was a shame as this (as it was last year) was for me the most disappointing demonstration of the day. I now know what to do if I want to spend £100,000 ($150,000) on a mid-fi system - it was a full 7.1 setup with Krell DVD Standard , Showcase Processor, Showcase Amplifier (for rear and center speakers), FPB-750CX Monoblock front Amplifiers driving LAT 1 Loudspeakers at the front and a couple of pairs of LAT 2's at the rear helped along with a Master Reference Sub and LAT-C Center :eek: First music up was a Santana DVD - now I have a fair idea what a Snare drum sounds like although I don't have a Tama in my collection (as was being played) - I think the designers and distributors would do well to spend a few £100 on a drum so they know when something just sounds wrong. A Diana Krall DVD was also cued - now the piano had some of the associated characteristics but why does it come out of the rear right channel crazy. The venue was a wide open concert hall - massive amounts of space around Diana - but if it wasn't for the visual cues I would have sworn she was singing in my bathroom - very processed and unnatural levels of reverb - maybe this is the sources fault but it didn't make for my idea of high fidelity. A Bruce Springsteen CD seemed to be overpowered by the by bass line - a case of the subwoofer not being properly integrated. I don't know why but about a fifth of the people left the demonstration before the end.

In comparison to the kit above a system made up of Copland CD and Integrated amp and the new Sonus Faber Cremona stand mounted speakers was relatively inexpensive (circa £6K) but we went back there 4 times as it was an oasis of musical pleasure - it just did it right.

Sony put on a very impressive SACD demonstration with the new SCD-999 player into a 333 Processor and Amp and using Sony speakers all round. When I get my remembering and thinking heads together I will post more about this:)

All the best - Andrew

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

As much as I like Dan Dagostino as a person, I have never like Krell sound. The never seem to get the midrange right to my ears despite the great expense. Better off sticking to C-J and Audio Research.

The Krell speakers are a particular disaster. I have listened extensively to the LAT 1 and LAT 2 and I have to say they may be the worst deal in high end audio. Expensive, horrible sounding (even with $70K of front end) and way too much bass for their own good.

I hate to rail against one manufacturer like this, but I just have too much experience to feel differently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.