Looking for 6SN7 tube rolling recommendations...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Wanting to experiment with a Schiit Saga preamp in for a listen. Has anyone tried other than the stock tube? What 6SN7 tubes work well in general?

2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I rolled so many 6SN7s and found them wooly sounding except one stunning exception- Sylvania 6SN7GTA. This tube has the plates on a 270 degree angle to each other. Later Sylvania (late '50s & '60s) same style Sylvania for some reason do not sound as good. A 1955 6SN7GTB is good, but how do you know what year as most selling the tubes do not state the year of manufacture. The 'GTA' version is guaranteed pre 1954 manufacture. These Sylvania 6SN7GTA have a huge top getter (shiny chrome) and a taller than standard black base. Another great 6SN7 are Tung Sol round plate. But, who wants to spend $200+ a tube in NOS.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  3. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

In my limited experience it really is a sort of linear older-is-better. Black glass VT-231's of all make are amazing. But they stopped making them after V-J day, so, you know.....

Thankfully the Saga like my AN UK M2 only needs one. Because it's hard enough to find even one 1940's tube that isn't microphonic, much less a pair.

tlowe, jfine, SandAndGlass and 2 others like this.
  4. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I heard poor 1940s 6SN7s. Stay with the early to mid 1950s Sylvania 5SN7GTA. This plate/tube design was not built in the 1940s. The stellar Tung Sol 6SN7 round plate is a 1940s tube though.

LeeS likes this.
  5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I have too, its because they were old and microphonic. Of course, I also disagree with basically all of your opinions on tubes, so there is obviously room for opinions here.

KT88 likes this.
  6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Cool, looks like I should look for the Sylvania GTAs...

7. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Although I have limited experience with the 6SN7 family...I have tried some new production Shugaung CV 181-Z, along with a couple of pair of NOS RCA VT-231's, and most recently a pair of the Sylvania 6SN7 GTA's.

In my Linestage, in my set-up, the Sylvania has the very best tone of them all. I'd like to try the Tung Sol's , but I cant stand the Tariff.

8. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I have rolled more tubes than you ever had in upgraded (not stock) equipment SO I could actually hear the tube performance in the finest details. Cannot hear tube details on mediocre gear. I was a part time audio tube dealer. I had more exotic tubes such as vintage Genalex than one can imagine. I just do not want others to be misinformed about tube performance. So, if you disagree with every tube I ever mentioned, I have to question your amplifier(s), quality of your speakers and frankly your experience. I see a Citation II amplifier in your profile. It is an accurate, but rather bland sounding amplifier. It is like a Fisher 500C. But, certainly a cut above many vintage amplifiers. I would not want a stock Fisher 400.500.800 either. Upgraded Fishers, I feel differently. Sorry, no offense taken.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  9. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

billnunan, LeeS and Tullman like this.
  10. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Yes, it is a great tube. I used to sell tubes (owned about 10,000 audio tubes) so I about heard it all on seriously upgraded amplifiers that produced crystal clear audio. My customers had a lot of $10K to $100K audio systems. So, I truly know tubes and the sound on high-end gear and my customers seem to agree with me. The Sylvania 6SN7GTA is not warm sounding and may be a little on the bright side. But, the clarity and accuracy is great.

hi_watt likes this.
  11. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Oh, thank goodness. I'd hate to think you were the sort who exhibited extremely insecure behavior and accused people with different opinions of being wrong. :love:

12. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Has nothing to do with insecurity, but you did state every tube I ever mentioned of not being a good performer. Seeing my customer base of 100s that have agreed with me, that puts you in a severely minority position. Again, I want audiophiles to hear & use great sounding tubes. Granted not every amplifier responds the same, but a majority has respond well to the same tube. Your statement of every tube I recommended as not good sounding is not good for the tube audiophile community. And, do not talk the original poster out of not trying the Sylvania 6SN7GTA, because that is what your original post implied..

13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Nope, I sure didn't. I said my opinions are different then yours. The tubes that I prefer are also very well regarded. Do you recall your thread about Chinese amps where our host voiced his opinions were different then yours as well? Is he wrong too?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  14. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Your statement- ' Of course, I also disagree with basically all of your opinions on tubes'

15. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Right. Note the key words: “opinions” and “disagree”.

More importantly, the phrase you omitted: “there is obviously room for opinions here”.

Now stop being insecure about contrary opinions on vacuum tubes. That’s weird.

Strat-Mangler and Dennis0675 like this.
  16. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The big three are;

- Ken-Rad VT-231 with staggered plates
    - Sylvania 3-Holed 6SN7GT 1952 Big Boys
    - Tung-Sol 6SN7GT with round plates

The first one gives you the most bass slam and detail in low-end frequencies you'll ever find. Creamy mids but not the most detailed, and a good but not extended high-end.

The 2nd one will give you more detailed mids and a more open sound in general along with an airy top but is a tad bass-shy.

The 3rd one is the most expensive and the only one I haven't gotten yet. Supposed to give a wide soundstage with great extension on both ends as well as layered mids.

hi_watt, rbbert and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I'm currently running a Sylvania 6SN7GTB to good effect in my Saga. I don't what year it was made.

Since the Saga is using the 6SN7 as a buffer, I think the differences between different 6SN7's will be more subtle than if it was being used for gain.

The single 6SN7 is one of the things that attracted me to the Saga. It gave me an opportunity to use all those 6SN7's from my collection that became orphaned when one of a matched pair died before the other!

Ham Sandwich, Helom and Strat-Mangler like this.
  19. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

My first post. Hello.

Currently no need for 6SN7s, but used an Audio Space Ref. 300B for about 10 years. This called for 2 6SN7s. I had a great deal of fun rolling them.

Like so many, I wanted to try the round plate Tung Sol, but wasn't flush enough to justify the prices. Went instead for the round plate Tung Sol 6F8G (WWII era) with adaptor. If you can find an adaptor that fits the opening on the Schiit, that's one option (though no idea on the price or availability of 6F8Gs these days). Be advised though there are other Tung Sol 68FGs that are not round plate.

While I never found a 7N7 ("loctal") that sounded great in those positions, that's another option. Again, contingent on the diameter of the adaptor.

I also had good luck with a used set of RCA CRC-6SN7 GT black glass that I picked up for super cheap from my local B&M audio dealer. I think they were WWII era as well.

I also tried out (more than one pair) the Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z. They sounded great in that application, but two consecutive matched sets suffered from a complete failure of one channel. I have come to believe that it was something about the amp, rather than any inherent flaw in the CV181-Z. It was just really hard on those driver tubes, and military spec was both the best sounding and hardiest of the many tried.

20. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The new Lyr 3 from Schiit uses this tube type in a hybrid gain stage. I’m thinking of getting one with the Multibit DAC card to replace my HRT DAC, my Schiit Asgard, my Sys (which is acting in reverse as a source input switch), and to perform as a preamp for an eventual two-channel system with a power amp. One box to rule them all!

Once the Lyr 3 arrives I will certainly return to this thread if I get the itch to roll tubes.

billnunan likes this.
  21. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I know that some will balk at this suggestion, but there are nice Russian military spec tubes to be had on eBay for less than $10/tube.

I've got a bunch of them. I leave the 6SN7 preamp on 24/7 and have had my current pair in there for years without having them go bad or microphonic.

I'm very happy with their sound in a tube preamp that I have that was produced by a division of Cary Audio.

NormB, inperson and billnunan like this.
  22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

hi_watt and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

24. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

25. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Really, like in suppressed highs? I found the opposite compared to NOS Raytheon and Tungsol 6SN7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.