Looking for a Linear Tracker

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by anede001, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anede001

anede001 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm interested in getting a small linear tracking turntable the size of an lp jacket, like a Technics sl-5,6,7. I haven't had too much luck online as I'm looking for something that's been well looked after. Any suggestions for where I should be looking as one vinyl aficionado giving a new home to another's past treasures? ;)

Also, for the owners out there, what should I be expecting to service if I do find one?

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Quite a lot if you do, the arm mechanism will need cleaning, new belt or belts, at minimum. Are you handy mechanically? Do you know basic electronics? Automatic turntables are often more complex than manual tables, linear tracking tonearms much more complex than pivoted. The SL-7 is the bare minimum I can recommend, the SL-10 better yet. Biggest drawback is the limited T4P selection available currently.

3. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

I'd second the cartridge selection is limited for a P-Mount. Not all the current ones are to the original spec, so make sure the tonearm has a balance adjustment. Or look at Cartridges and comparability first...

4. timw

timw Senior Member

How about a Technics SL-10? This is no toy. It's a very cool and well built Direct Drive turntable. It came out in the early 80's I believe and can be found selling on ebay pretty regularly. It still fetches quite a high price if in mint condition. It originally came with a nice moving coil cartridge and has a built-in MC preamp(Which can be bypassed for MM p-mount carts.
    It's basically a 'close & play' type TT with the linear tonearm located in the upper cover. I am amazed how they packed all the electronics and mechanics into something this size! (It is the size of an LP record cover!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not too familiar with the models 5,6, & 7, but if they're built anything like the SL-10 and you can track one down, you might do all right.
    Just be sure to test the tonearm mechanics. This usually seems to be the problem area in these vintage linear tracking TT's.
    Best of luck!
    Tim

JoelWat likes this.
  5. Don S

Don S Forum Resident

I have a used SL-10 and have yet to set it up. Does anyone know of a place where I can send it for maintenance?

I could find some local but I rather have someone who is very familiar with linear.

Thank you!

6. timw

timw Senior Member

Don, What seems to be the problem with yours? If the tonearm is 'sticking' you might just need to lubricate the gears and replace the tonearm motor drive belt:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's not an easy project to do but can be done with the help of the service manual and some patience...

Tim

JoelWat likes this.
  7. Don S

Don S Forum Resident

Not great at this stuff...was looking for an expert to take a look :)

8. timw

timw Senior Member

No prob..Understood. Hopefully you can track down a repair place. It's worth it for this TT!
    Best of luck.....

9. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I have an SL-7 - love it. As other posters have indicated, it may jam if left unused for long periods of time. I found the Service Manual online, opened the arm assembly up - the lubricant was gummed up, and was able to get it back to normal. Tools required - Philips screwdriver. Patience required - moderate. I suspect most decent electronics repair facilities would tackle the job if you also gave them a copy of the Service Manual.

I also have a SL-3 that went into storage when I got the SL-7.

10. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I owned the SL 10 for a few years. I liked it, and it was a serious turntable that came with a serious cartridge. I gave mine to my sister because I wanted a change and she had a cat that liked to sit on the dust cover while records were playing. The SL 10 never skipped and was the all time champ at tracking warped records. I'd recommend it if you can find one in good shape.

11. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I recently purchased an SL-QL15 that would stick at certain spots on an LP, resulting in it skipping. I had to open it up and replace the arm belt and voila good as new.

My biggest beef with it though is that I'm used to being able to dust off an LP while it spins on the platter which is impossible with this model. It needs to be closed in order to spin.

12. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I've bought and sold 3 or 4 of these. Never had a problem. Remember they won't work unless there's a record in them for testing. (that helps a lot, most people think they're busted).

Never paid more than $10 either.

13. anede001

Thanks a lot for all the very helpful feedback, everybody! Awesome stuff. I'm well aware of all the drawbacks to owning one of these, but I feel really compelled to have one in my collection. I think it's a cool part of vinyl history.

Timw - thanks for your guidance and excellent pictures. I can tell that you really have an affinity for your sl-10. That may be the model that I'm looking at now. I was overlooking it before, just because it seems to ask a premium in price, but it's clearly the flagship. If I were to find one without the MC cartridge, would you still recommend it over the other models?

Marblesmike - good point. So what do you do to clean your records if it has to be closed to spin the platter?

MikeyH - thanks for the tip. You've given me hope of finding one! Where did you find most of yours for $10? Goodwill?

14. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I just recently picked up an SL-10 with an original Technics 310MC cart and it is amazing. I specifically needed it for a small footprint system in my master bedroom. Good luck finding one for $10, maybe if you spend a lot of time at yard sales. I paid $200 at a local record store and that's cheaper than any on ebay that are in workin condition. In my area all the thrift stores look up the value of gear on ebay and where I use to see tons of turntables on the shelves, they are now usually in the bidding cabinets where they routinely go for more than they are worth.

15. timw

timw Senior Member

Anede001, Yes, I would still recommend the SL-10 if it doesn't have the original MC cart. Finding one in decent condition for a reasonable price could tough however. I believe most P-Mount carts will work with this TT. There's a button on the rear of the unit to switch between MC or MM carts. There's also a button you can press while the cover is open to spin the platter to wipe records clean before you close the cover to play them...a nice feature!
    There's good info/specs and downloadable info over at vinylengine.com on this model as well as many others...
    http://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-10.shtml

Tim

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And also, the SL 10's original included Technics MC was the only T4P compliant moving coil ever made. Ortofon's P mount HOMC is not T4P compliant, it likes being tracked around 2 grams tracking force so is best in it's 1/2" mount model.

17. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Just a note - the SL-i0 has a button to spin the table with the top open-just for LP cleaning. I also have a Bang& Olsen 4200 - nice table also, easier to work on ..... Carts are more expensive.

18. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

No idea...it's not my main turntable but it seems it's not possible with my particular model according to the manual.

19. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

You can absolutely spin the platter for dusting on the SL-10. You mentioned the jacket-size being a priority, otherwise I would recommend the SL-QL1. Both the SL-7 and the SL-QL1 were the next generation and are made with resonance-free material, and sound equally as good, with no MC step-up transformer. Both weigh a ton, like the SL-10. The SL-10 has design going for it, though--it is really gorgeous in person.

20. Danglerb

Danglerb Forum Resident

Unless you have no one even decent in your area shipping issues could outweigh competence for a simple clean and lube.

21. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Be patient and watch Craigslist. There are many of these out there. Be prepared for some maintenance (replace drive belt for the arm, lubricate arm).

22. anede001

Thanks, everyone. You all have really been of great assistance. I'll be searching for an SL-10 and will keep you guys posted as I go.

23. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

I own an SL-5 that is currently not working (sticking tonearm) as it hasn't been used for a number of years. The direct drive system is still working though it probably needs a damn good lube. If anyone can help me with a service manual for this it would be greatly appreciated.

I bought it brand new with my second ever paycheck as a student in 1983/84 and until now it has been absolutely bullet proof. It was a sad day when Panasonic decided to get out of the audio business and drop their Technics brand. Well made gear at a reasonable price.

24. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Try this site:
    http://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-5.shtml

25. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.