Looking for new ipod

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by greelywinger, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia Thread Starter

Since my old i pod doesn't work any more, I was thinking about upgrading.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=169052&highlight=wet+ipod

I used to have 4 GB, I'm looking to go up to at least 16 GB.
    I'm looking for one that is durable and can work good in cold weather.
    Not too comfortable touch screens.
    All I need is something that will hold a lot of music.
    Also needs to be reliable.

Darryl

2. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

The Classic is just what you need! I have an 80 GB one and I am happy with it.

http://www.apple.com/ipodclassic/

Sometimes you can buy a refurbished unit from the apple website and that can save you a few pennies. Good luck!

3. greelywinger

Which generation do you have?

Darryl

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Nano? Sounds like you want to stay with solid state.

5. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

I don't know what your price range is but looking at Apple's website, the new Classic (120GB) is $249 or you can buy a refurbished 120GB for $209. Sometimes you will see the 160GB in the refurbished area for a price that is comparable to a new 120GB.

6. Kustom 250

Kustom 250 Active Member

I love my Touch. I probably use the apps and web stuff more then I use it to listen to music.

But having tuff like Pandora gives me a ton of music I wouldn't have on an iPod without the web access.

7. greelywinger

I just got an i pod nano (4th gen) 16 GB
    My last nano took a lot of abuse before finally giving in.

Darryl

8. greelywinger

Seriously considering getting a 64 GB ipod touch this time.
    Will the touch ever increase beyond 64 GB?

Darryl

9. If its only for music the classic kicks ass 160gb I wish they upped it to 240 or 320 but it seems that probably will never happen. But you can get a 240 mod version from third parties

10. greelywinger

Not just for music this time.

Darryl

11. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

It's possible, but even if we saw a 128GB version down the road, the earliest would likely be in the fall (when the next expected refresh should occur). But given iCloud and how its being pushed, I wouldn't necessarily count on it.

12. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX

If sound matters to you, get a used iPhone 4 or 4s without contract. Those sound a lot better than any iPod I've used.

13. bigtyke66

bigtyke66 Forum Resident

Have you compared iPhone 4 to the 5/5.5gen Classic? I think the consensus used to be that these were the best sounding version--still had the Wolfson DAC. If that's not the case, I would love to find a nice sounding replacement for my elderly iPods.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. HiFiGuy528

I sold my iPod Video before I got the iPhone 4 and 4s and now 5 so I didn't get to compare the two. :(

15. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I've been looking on ebay and Craigslist for a used Ipod Touch 4th gen 64gb. I don't want to pay a lot, and these seem to stay in the $175-$200 range. One day I'll luck across one. 2 of my children have bought ipods off ebay and have not had any problems. I wouldn't use on for my home listening, but to play through computer speakers, I think it would be fine. The question is, would I load the ipod with lossless or lossy files?

16. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Even though a Classic offers more space than an 80GB touch, I'm looking at going with the Touch. I greatly prefer the experience of flipping through albums rather than scrolling through a click wheel.

I do think the sound on my 5.5 gen iPod is slightly better than on newer models with the Cirrus DAC, but not enough where I would buy another model with a Wolfson chip today- it's been 6-7 years since models had the Wolfson, for me that's just too long for devices that are built with a relatively short product life in mind. Even with light use and taking very good care of it, my 5.5 gen is starting to develop dead pixels, can't hold a charge well, and has moments where it unexpectedly crashes (yes, I have updated the firmware and have already tried reformatting it many times). I'm expecting it to die soon.

dmleman likes this.
  17. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Well, what else do you want to do with it? That will probably color our answers.

As a former iPod tester, let me say: SOLID STATE. All the hard drives break. So will the solid state, but not nearly as soon.

64GB is quite a bit, unless maybe lossless. I found past 32GB I had enough on there to find something I wanted to listen to at the spur of the moment, and that the act of deleting and reloading forced me to explore my library and rediscover stuff, which was very serendipitous.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Surprisingly speaking: I have never had an iPod Classic hard drive fail. This is after owning about 15 of them over the last 9 years (presently 8). Two of those are Nanos and one is a solid-state Touch, and one is a solid-state iPhone. Four are Classics, 80GB and 160GB. Once in awhile, they go "stupid" and have to be reset; I've actually had the Touch go stupider, to the point where it had to be reformatted and restored. Not so much with the Classics. And some of my Classics have been rained on, dropped, thrown into suitcases, tossed into cars, and generally treated very casually. A few have some pretty major dings, but they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. (Plus they're thoroughly backed up, so it wouldn't be a disaster if they died.)

I'm stymied by Apple's reluctance to embrace bigger SSD's across the line, and I'd like nothing more for them to have at least a 128GB Touch out there (if not 256GB). I believe RAM prices are being kept artificially high, and after all these years, you'd think it would've come down exponentially.

ZeroCrossing and Lownote30 like this.
  19. HiFiGuy528

I curious about how the 128gb iPad 4 sounds. If it sounds as good as iPhone 5, I'm sold. Anyone here has an iPad 4?

20. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Try the online Apple store - you can get a refurbished 4th gen 64GB for $229 - these feature a new battery, outer shell, and of course earbuds. Plus a 1 year warranty.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod

21. greelywinger

If I'm gonna spend that kind of money, I'd rather get a 5th gen over a 4th gen.

Darryl

22. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I've been watching Apple's refurb site to see when/if the 5th gens are added. So far nada. The newer units are more difficult to repair - not sure if it will be worthwhile for Apple to refurb defective units.

Keep in mind that the 5th generation has the new lightning connector. You will need an adapter to make this unit work with older ipod connectors.

23. greelywinger

I have a lightning to USB connector that came with my iPad.
    Works well charging my current iPod nano.

Darryl

24. hogger129

hogger129 Well-Known Member

Why not spend about half the money and get a Sansa Clip Zip / 64GB microSD card, and then install Rockbox on it? I think I spend a total of around $140 on my Zip and SD card. With Rockbox, it'll play all the same formats as my iPod Touch will, plus FLAC and a few others.

It's nice too because if the player ever breaks or gets damaged, all you have to spend is $40 to replace it.

FWIW, I have had one iPod go belly up (not sure if it was the drive or what), but that was an old iPod Mini I had some years ago. I gave my 120GB Classic to my dad for his birthday, I think 2 years ago, and it's still going strong according to him. I bought it when that model came out - not sure when that was. He had an 8GB Nano and it just wasn't enough capacity for him.

But again, with two of those 64GB microSD cards, the Sansa can have more capacity than the iPod. That's really a deal breaker for me with the Apple stuff (doesn't offer expandable memory). I also hate the fact that after all this time they haven't upgraded the iPod Touch to 128GB, even though they've done it on the iPad, or why they haven't officially introduced a 240GB iPod Classic even though the drive has been available for some time.

Also, have you thought about the Cowon players? I heard good things about those. I can't remember if the Z2 is supposed to be like the iPod Touch, or which model is.

25. hogger129

hogger129 Well-Known Member

EDIT: I see now that you won't be using this for "just" music, in which case I'd say look at the Cowon Z2. I'm pretty sure they offer expandable memory and they run on the Android OS so I think you can just use Droid apps on it. Again, I'd really look at the Cowon Z2 if you want something like the iPod Touch (cause of apps). Plus from what I can see, the Z2 offers expandable memory, iPods do not. People say the Cowons are supposed to sound better than the iPods too but I haven't tested it myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.