Looking for new ipod

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by greelywinger, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

That is not a proper cassette tape for audio. That is an extension of DLTape. A data storage format for computing and servers. One thing to note. High spec Apple iPad is getting dangerously close to MacBook Air prices. Within under $220 at present. Which means the Apple MacBook Air is worth considering in place of the iPad for little more money than a 128GB iPad.

2. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Yeah, I said the same thing once. You'd be surprised.

This is coming from someone who doesn't even like talking on the phone.

3. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia Thread Starter

I think the only time I've used my cellphone this year was to call my sister at Easter, to confirm Mom & I were at the restaurant.

Darryl

4. greelywinger

Just got a 160 GB classic.

Darryl

Get2Me likes this.
  5. uncle b

uncle b Forum Resident

Congrats. That thing rules. Apple Lossless music, and lots of it.

6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'm still hopeful for a rumored "iPad Pro", with around 250 or more GB's, to replace my 160 GB iPod's. Using an iPad, hooked up to a DJ controller and using a great little app program called "DJAY 2", with the best of my music collection actually "loaded in it", is what I want my future of "mobile" music to exist of, as I don't even like the word "cloud", let alone ever use it!

7. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

What's wrong with the cloud?

8. Goratrix

Goratrix Well-Known Member

There's never going to be a high-capacity iPod ever again. The business has changed in the last few years, and it's not in the interest of Apple to provide a large storage for music, they want to direct people to streaming and cloud. The future of high-capacity music players is in SDXC cards.

9. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Data caps.

10. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

So carry what you can and put the rest in the cloud?

11. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Data upload / download costs through time will be higher than using on-site storage.

12. greelywinger

No more money for apple's coffers from me.

Darryl

13. RoyalScam

It's very simple to me...you pay to store in the cloud (unless it's Google, but you're limited), then you pay to stream, and you're up against a mobile data cap where you either get throttled, or downgraded in speed, or have to pay more for a higher cap. Versus: it's all on my iPod/iPhone with me, and I'll likely get better battery life to boot.

colinu and superstar19 like this.
  14. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

So if you weren't downloading stuff from the cloud you'd not be paying for data?

I only have 3GB a month, and do some streaming and also the occasional download from the cloud and I never come close to hitting my limit.

15. Chris C

I've tried to explain this in other threads, but, if you are in, let's say rural Ohio and you need your music for business and you have little or no wi-fi connection, then you my friend are screwed and that is why I hate the cloud. Plus, if I were to actually pay Apple for the cloud service, for all of my 30,000 and climbing iTunes music library, it would cost me well over $500 dollars a year. I may be a bit goofy sometimes, but I'm not a stupid idiot! People like myself, who use their music libraries in a "professional" mode "need" a pro version of either the iPod or iPad and we needed it about two years ago! Apple's great idea of the cloud, which is perfect for the average daily commute or weekend getaway, but it serves absolutely no purpose for a professional and their needs.

And before you try to debate the "well why not by a non Apple product that already has the big gig storage and no need of wi-fi"? It is a very well known fact that iTunes libraries do not play well with other brand laptops, PC's or tablets, plain and simple, plus the DJ app that I use is MAC only compatible, so going to other companies isn't the answer for me.

allnoyz likes this.
  16. RoyalScam

I wouldn't pay for 3GB per month. My cell plan is expensive enough. Nor do I want to pay Apple or Amazon anything to store my own music, especially if I can fit it in my pocket...which was the original theory of the iPod anyway.

Get2Me and allnoyz like this.
  17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Chris C,

Why iPod? When I am in mobile DJ mode, I carry a laptop with BSI WaveCart and a 1TB hard drive filled with tunes and a proper audio interface to the console. And no DRM in my way. I can backup the library with no Apple hassle. You are a pro, why put up with Apple hassle.

18. Chris C

This is the exact question that I keep asking myself, again and again. I guess that I have just invested so much time with my iTunes library, that I can't give up the ghost?

19. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

DRM died many years ago. That is no longer a concern.

I'm not sure why being a professional should preclude you from using Apple products. Trent Reznor would certainly agree.

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

In most non HipHop or techno based live performance DJ and broadcasting, it is a 99% PC world. Rivendell the main exception which uses Linux. There is one Mac based program which for the secular world is very unsupported for reasons which discussed here goes into forum rules issues. Mobile DJ folks needs are different. They are really more like broadcast radio playout than like live performance or scratch based systems like Ableton Live, Cubase, Traktor, Serato Scratch Live and similar.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  21. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Sure, PC still rules the personal computer market.

My question is why can't a professional DJ use OSX? It's not like they don't have programs.

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Most of them who do straight playout of music do not have. Save for iTunes. iTunes is not really a professional solution on handling segues for one and chokes on large libraries most pro mobile DJ use demands. In the PC world, you have a lot of options which are suited for use like ZaraRadio, BSI Stinger and WaveCart, and various other packages used in broadcast radio. Many have Lite options suited well to Mobile DJ use. Most OSX options outside iTunes are often for live performance needs like Ableton Live and Cubase, which for many straight DJ needs is overkill. For hip hop, techno and other such sampling based, creative manipulation of sound elements those are great. And for use in live concert based use, superb.' But overkill for a wedding DJ or other similar needs.

23. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

So professionals can easily make do with Macs? They just have to be bigger time professionals.

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

This:

Just add NSA.

25. greelywinger

Now that the classic is no longer. Here's hoping Apple will finally come out with the 128 GB touch.

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.