Looking for recommendations to solve a problem

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TeleKing, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeleKing

TeleKing Forum Resident Thread Starter

Forever, I've been using iPod classics in my office with my office stereo. I have 4 iPod classic 160 gigs iPods I've been using with a lot of my favorite music stored on them lossless.

Unfortunately, the batteries are dying, and the "iPod dock" doesn't charge them while playing.

So now I'm in a dilemma.

I work from home, so I listen to music pretty much all day long in here. Sound quality is important.

I also have all my music burned to a few 4 Gig hard drives. I'd love to be able to access them and listen to anything on my hard drives.

I do have Apple streaming that I can run through my computer and iTunes, but it's just streaming, and not the best quality.

Ultimately, I'd love to have a similar situation to Apple music streaming, but it actually accessing my losses hard drives instead of streaming. I have a monitor that I can use to use as a video interface so I can see playlists, etc.

I'd love to be able to create playlists within this system like I could iTunes, etc.

My receiver isn't Tidal compatible, but that might be an option.

Any suggestions on this?

Thanks

2. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Get the batteries replaced. There are also services on the bay that will replace the HDD with sd card of your choice sizewise. As to Tidal, you can either purchase a bluetooth dongle or use a tablet to connect to your receiver. I use Bluesound Node2 and Vault2. It can access your NAS and play the files.

3. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Am I missing something, or can't you just create an iTunes library on your computer, and use that as a server? If you don't have a DAC, use the headphone jack on the computer as an analog output. Direct the iTunes preferences to import your HD library, but uncheck the option to copy the files to the iTunes Media folder when adding to library.

4. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

There are about 8,392 ways to accomplish this and 98% of them are better than the iPod dock.

Simplest option would be to get an Airport Express and just Airplay over to it from iTunes. The Airport Express is discontinued but still readily available.

SamS, quicksrt and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Why cant you plug your laptop/PC directly into your receiver? Full use of iTunes!

6. BayouTiger

That seems like an obvious choice, but I'm betting the receiver is across the room.

7. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Please be aware that Apple just implemented AirPlay 2, with multi-room, long buffering and Hi-Res capabilities, thus the old Airport Express relies on a now obsolete protocol.

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

...aaannd, the remote is forever tethered to someplace across that room, or can you move it around, because it's a remote control...? :idea:

9. TeleKing

I have an itunes on my computer. Normally, I can just stream it using an Airport Express as the person above mentions, but that's just streaming quality. That's not the quality I'm used to in my lossless system. I'm looking for better quality than streaming.

I can't really connect my computer to my receiver as my receiver is against the wall, and my computer (and listening area) is in the middle. It wouldn't look good having a cable run directly in the middle of the room to the receiver. I have a fairly large office. Pretty close to 20X20.

As for replacing the batteries in the iPods, I can't find any locally to do that.

Thanks for the input!

10. BayouTiger

Yes, but still does the trick for the current problem. I just connected my newly updated iPhone to my old AE without issue. Supposedly it is still supported.

11. wwaldmanfan

iTunes converts redbook or higher sample rate files to 16/44.1 Apple Lossless when streaming to an AirPort Express. If you start with a lossless file from your HD, you'll get lossless, CD-quality playback from AE with iTunes.
    If you have $400, this is the solution to your problems:
    https://audioengineusa.com/shop/adapters/d2-24-bit-wireless-dac/

12. TeleKing

If you have $400, this is the solution to your problems:
    https://audioengineusa.com/shop/adapters/d2-24-bit-wireless-dac/[/QUOTE]

I misspoke. I have Apple TV, which I use for streaming. I have it hooked up to a regular TV (the only purpose of this TV is to stream), which then shows my iTunes library through Apple TV. I have the sound going out of the Apple TV using the digital out in the Apple TV into my receiver. I do have an Apple Extreme and an Apple Express lying around I don't use. Which of the three would be better? I do have $400 to buy the DAC you recommend.

How I would hook it up if I used the Extreme or Express and the DAC you recommend?

Also, from my work computer which has my iTunes library, I have one of these linked below hooked up through the Thunderbolt. It has a great DAC in it already, but not sure how I can use it to stream? How do I get the signal to my receiver potentially using it?

Universal Audio Apollo Twin MKII DUO 2x6 Thunderbolt Audio Interface with UAD DSP

I use the above to run my small monitor speakers I use about half the time while I'm working. I also use it to record vocal tracks in my office, which is the best place I have to record vocal tracks.

Thanks so much for your help!

13. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I know, I know, I've been using the Airport Express for this task since I don't remember when, and I still do, and it is still supported and it will be in any foreseeable future. It has been a comfortable and reliable tool I have enjoyed now for decades.

SeanRichard likes this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Getting your battery replaced is the easiest trouble-free answer. Had a battery replaced for an iPhone a few years ago. Cost me all of $50. No need to fiddle with configuration or worrying about this or that.

rodentdog likes this.
  15. TeleKing

The iPod Classic has been discontinued for at least 4 years and they do not make the batteries anymore. It's not a product they service.

16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Wasn't talking about Apple. Tons of places will replace the battery for you and tons of batteries are available online or through those non-Apple repair centers for your player.

rodentdog likes this.
  17. timind

timind phorum rezident

Where in Indiana are you. I recently replaced the battery and hdd in my ipod classic. Installed 512gb of memory also. If your nearby, I'd do it for you, or show you how to do it.

18. wwaldmanfan

Use iTunes' AirPlay feature to stream to the target device(s). Works with Apple TV, Airport Express, and third-party AirPlay-compatible speakers like my Libratone ZIPP.
    You don't need the Audioengine DAC if you have a AirPlay-capable device like the Apple TV.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

How about getting JRiver player for pc and play the files from hard drive to receiver on that.

Start fresh with new hq player with all the features you never got with iTunes. And also replace batteries in iPods of course.

20. Twodawgzz

Twodawgzz But why do you ask such questions...

Like me, you're probably waiting for your last iPod Classic to bite the dust. I have one in the car that temperamentally sometimes plays and sometimes doesn't - no logic as to when. My other one just keeps on playing just fine (after about 3 others have died due to bad batteries, discs, or jacks). Fixing them is beyond my patience, and I wouldn't pay to have them repaired.

So eventually, I plan to get the FIIO X5 3rd generation, unless a newer version comes out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.