Looney Tunes, Golden Collection Vol. 2 coming

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve-oh, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Steve-oh

Just read through the whole transcript, tons of other info on Warner releases on there as well. :righton:

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Yep: a Cary Grant box set on June 1, and they're also working on new releases of Prince's three films. I held off buying Purple Rain since it was only 4:3. They're working on some Hitchcock as well. A lot of goodies coming our way. :thumbsup:

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

More cartoons! Yaay!

5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

For me, having to buy this "next set" JUST for "What's Opera Doc" sucks!

While I LOVE the old classic WB cartoons, it was just shameful that the first set was "so" complete, but purposely excluded that ONE classic title! I would have bought the second set without ANY reserve, if they wouldn't have pull that "trick" on us to be somewhat "forced" to buy a second!

Ha-Ha, the jokes on them! I've already made a DVD copy of "What's Opera Doc" from my very clean VHS tape!

Chris C

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Chris C

There were a lot of classic Looney Tunes left off the set. It was not just the one.

They left of "One Froggy Evening", "Duck! Rabbit! Duck!", "A Corny Concerto", "The Great Piggy Bank Robbery", "Operation: Rabbit", "Three Little Bops", "A Wild Hare", "Rabbit Hood", "Rhapsody Rabbit", "The Big Snooze", ...

They barely scratched the surface of the early to mid-40s stuff.

Some of my favorites I hope to see are the Ralph Phillips cartoons ("From A to Z-Z-Z-Z" and "Boyhood Daze"), Friz Freling's "Hare Brush" ("Repeat after me: My name eez Elmer J. Fudd, Millionaire. I own a mansion und a yacht"), and "The Dover Boys at Pimento University or The Rivals of Roquefort Hall".

Regards,

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

All due respect, but if you're buying a Looney Tunes box set only for "What's Opera Doc," you're probably better off with your VHS dub to DVD-R.
    :sigh:

Isn't there one other WB cartoon you'd like to see and own? :confused:

After all, they couldn't get all of the best ones on the first box. Gotta save a few choice bits for volume two.

I'm just grateful that there's a second box to look forward to. I remember hearing about WB waffling about putting out box sets at all. As I recall, they weren't too confident about how well they'd sell. That's why we got the truncated double set released at the same time. Turns out, the 4 disc set flew out of the shops, and WB is overjoyed.

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

exactly! I have a mental wish list for Vol 2. Actually, I liked to see at least one of the newer generations included, like "The Ducksorcist" (sp?) or Chariots of Fur, also maybe at least one Black and White Porky/Daffy

there are so many to choose from the 30's through the 50's! (perhaps "Bedtime for Sniffles" just in time for Christmas!)

9. Ken_McAlinden

There were a series of shorts produced recently by Larry Doyle. One of them, "Whizzard of Ow" is on the Looney Tunes Back in Action DVD. It is not as good as the classics, but it is way better than most of the 70s and 80s stuff. Unfortunately, the cartoon is pretty obviously panned and scanned on the DVD and the opening shot of the cartoon is pretty much ruined as a result.

Other titles produced that I have not seen are:

Hare and Loathing in Las Vegas
    Cock-a-Doodle-Duel
    Duck Dodgers in Attack of the Drones
    My Generation G... G... Gap
    Museum Scream

These are not to be confused with those lame webtoons they tried to pass-off on a couple of DVDs last year. I'm not sure how the lack of success of the "Back in Action" film will influence the development of further shorts.

The latest Space Jam DVD included a bunch of the latter day shorts including "Another Froggy Evening", "Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers", "Night of the Living Duck", and "The Duxorcist". The bad news is that except for "Another Froggy Evening" (which is OK), they are all pretty poor. That being said, they are all still better than Space Jam. :)

Regards,

10. Steve-oh

I think most agree there are plenty of good 'toons left for another set (or several), but what about extra materials? I liked a lot of the documentaries on the first set, are there more good ones out there?

11. dcooper

dcooper New Member

I'm also willing to give them a pass for not including "What's Opera Doc" and "One Froggy Evening" on Vol. 1. Why would there be a demand for Vol. 2 if 1 had "everything." However, there's no way 1 COULD have included everything.

And I agree with Reechie that if you only want "What's Opera Doc" you probably shouldn't waste your money on any of the compliations.

12. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I don't mind. I'll buy the second volume without hesitation. Changing laserdiscs is such a pain... :D

13. Look forward the 2nd Looney Tunes set later this year. I'm also stoked to read about the The Searchers getting a full photochemical film restoration followed by a new transfer. I bet the DVD will look amazing.

14. stereoptic

How is the Back in Action movie? I didn't see it, and Iw asn't all that crazy about Space Jam - I thought it was too topical and "trend oriented"

15. Ken_McAlinden

Back in Action is a lot better than Space Jam in that the Looney Tunes characters are recognizably themselves and the hit to miss gag ratio is a lot better. It wears a bit thin as it becomes increasingly obvious that the characters are best suited to short films, though.

If you like old sci-fi films half as much as Joe Dante likes old sci-fi films, you will not want to miss the section of the film that takes place in a laboratory in New Mexico.

Regards,

16. Ken_McAlinden

I thought "The Searchers" received a downtown film restoration by the good folks at UCLA several years ago. The current DVD isn't perfect, but it's very good for a 1997 transfer and the few problems it does have don't seem to be related to the film element used.

Regards,

17. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Yes, and for those of us who would like this to be an ungoing series (perhaps eventually encompassing most or even all of the theatrical LT/MM shorts), it's really just as well that they *don't* "blow their wad" by including all of the most popular and iconic titles right up front. Holding stuff back to keep the casual fans interested in further installments is not only a good marketing strategy for Warners; it's the best way of ensuring that more diehard animation buffs will get to see more of the lesser-known gems.

I hope the next one features more '40s and prewar shorts. Guess we'll have to wait and see!

18. RDK

RDK Active Member

Any word on what "bonuses" will be in this set? The first one had so much great stuff, I don't know what else they can add...

19. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Hey I'm excited for more Looney Tunes cartoons coming on DVD. I still have all of my laserdiscs of this stuff, but there were a lot of things that still didn't make it to LD or VHS to my knowledge. One of my all time favorite Daffy Duck cartoons is one called "A Design For Leaving" that pairs him up with Elmer Fudd. The great line in that cartoon is when Elmer asks what if he pushes the red button on the control panel and Daffy goes "NO, NO, NO, NO, don't push the rwed one!!!" "Don't ever push the rwed one!!!" :laugh:

20. Ken_McAlinden

:laugh: "For a small price, I can install this little blue button..."

Regards,

21. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

LOL!!! That's it!!!!!! :laugh: :righton:

22. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Not being defensive here BUT...I LOVED the first box, I was just disappointed that they left "What's Opera Doc" off of it. Do I want MORE cartoon from them, HELL YES! But since they got ALMOST all of what I call the "CLASSICS" on that first box, they could have marketed the next box as something else, other than Volume 2 adding just a FEW classics next to a bunch of GREAT, but NOT CLASSIC cartoons, IMO!

Chris C

23. reechie

reechie Senior Member

No need to be defensive, as I said, "with all due respect..." :)

But I think you're underestimating just how many "classics" these guys came up with. When you see the second box, I bet you'll be going "Oh! I forgot about that classic...OOH! That one's a classic, too!...Hey! There's a classic I haven't thought about in years!

You get the idea... :D

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Reechie is right. Even what might seem like some of the slighter cartoons are in fact finely crafted gems. Like the cartoons with the two muskrats(I think). Those are very funny.

Evan

25. stereoptic

I've found that there is always a funny gag or two even on the cartoons that I don't like.

Regarding Vol 1. - why was Baton Bunny which is Bugs Bunny "solo" on the Looney Tunes All Stars disc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.