Los Angeles feature film visual effects industry in full collapse

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by pcfchung, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

The Pope just made news by suggesting that people have smaller families, no more than 3 kids.
    I'm not Catholic, but I'll bet no other Pope has done that.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

To that end, maybe he should be handing out condoms at all his speaking events.

matty j, Larry Mc and Scott222C like this.
  3. pcfchung

pcfchung Forum Resident Thread Starter

No one should ever uproot their family to work for Weta. :) They don't offer any permanent positions or longer term contract (12 months or less). If you get laid off, there is literally NO other studios in the region. Who wants to move the family around the world every few months? It is only okay for younger, single people.
    You can say that about any VFX house now. Gone were the days when ILM would offer their workers a 4 year contract (that used to scare people off!). Now you move around like a nomad.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I am a former economist and a die hard believer in the capitalist economy, and believe that it is the job of senior management to maximize the profits to the business owner(s), but I think taking away jobs from Americans and exporting them to other countries for marginal increases in profits is going a little too far.

Vahan likes this.
  5. pcfchung

pcfchung Forum Resident Thread Starter

Apple; Walmart have been doing it. Nothing new.

somnar likes this.
  6. Raylinds

And they're not alone, it is a shame.

7. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Yeah, it's about the tax credit and benefits. Be mad with Canada - they are using tax payer dollars to bring business there. Why else do you think Canada created these programs?

It's also an issue within the US. Austin, TX used to be the BEST place to make a movie - but they don't do tax credits any longer. So everyone I know in film there has had to move to Louisiana or get out of production. Whenever govt's get involved and decide how its best to use your money, well... then they are using you to get "their business". Studios, productions execs, line producers... I mean, they are incentivised to leave and work elsewhere.

If people went to the movies that proudly displayed, "Produced with all crew within the USA" then business would come back here. But of course, people vote with their wallets, and in the end, talk a big game of "how things should be done" but then run off and buy their products Made in Wherever.

So this isn't unique to this business. It's all of them.

Jeff

8. violarules

violarules Senior Member

However, taken to the illogical extreme of late, if you maximize profits, you will be left with a huge wealth gap and no one left to buy your products. You well know that the overwhelming majority of the economy is based on consumption. Either that or we will all be subservient to the monied elite. But, you're an economist, so I don't need to tell you that... :sigh:

somnar, wayne66, Deesky and 1 other person like this.
  9. So why isn't CA offering similar credits to retain these jobs and skills in CA ??

ZEP77 likes this.
  10. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Your state of Oregon also has massive tax rates, sadly.

11. There seems to be a common thread here. Many businesses have been leaving the U.S.A., especially California, for some mysterious reason. It's hitting Hollywood hard right now, but they're hardly the first and certainly won't be the last.

I wonder why? :rolleyes:

12. ZEP77

ZEP77 Houston/Pontiac '77 Video. Where are you?

I know? This makes no sense that they do not do this. With all the other "tax breaks" given to the fat cats, this should be a no-brainer for California.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It'll bite them in the ass. As my friend the business lawyer likes to say: "Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered." Right now, most American businesses are thinking like hogs.

14. Raylinds

I'm an economist, so I know that this will not happen. The media loves to exaggerate these things. The natural forces of supply and demand will keep things in balance.

15. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

It's sad that you have talent in art, and choose to make a living with it
    because of your talent. Basically is taken away from you.
    The last time boom time for traditional animation was 90's.
    I don't know, what going to happen to CGI cartoon field.?
    If dreamworks still makes dumb movies like "Turbo" again.
    More lay offs will happen.

16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Aren't most film profits made OUTSIDE the US? Especially stuff with lots of CGI.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm not an economist, so I must be ignorant, but I do know about the French Revolution...

18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah but that's not really going to happen is it?

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I hope not, but I wouldn't rule it out. If you keep concentrating the wealth in the top few percent of the population, giving them more concessions, exemptions with less oversight and accountability, and incentivize a kind of feudal robber baron society while hollowing out what used to be the middle class and eroding the social safety net, there may well come a time when things end in tears.

20. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

No the evolution of technology requires diminished proximity between humans. For analog animation you needed the whole team to be in the same place. With digital you can send a project around the world in seconds.

Add to that the tax-incentive bidding wars between states (and countries) and there is zero stability in the animation biz.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  21. Raylinds

Yes you are ignorant. The French revolution is to the capitalist economy as steam is to nuclear power.

22. Raylinds

You think you are clever, but this is nonsense.

23. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

Got anything more than insults before you get reported, MISTER ECONOMIST (TM)?

Scott222C and Deesky like this.
  24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Wow, we have a genius in our midst.

25. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

Wrong! The real job of senior management is to maximize their own income, which boils down to: export jobs, decrease wages, increase (short-term) profits, hence maximizing their incentive bonuses and salaries.

Robin L and wayneklein like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.