‘Lost In Space’ series reboot in the works

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

After the pretty bad 2nd season, they tried to make the 3rd season more like the early episodes of the first. They occasionally succeed.

But bad or not , the colors of the 2nd seasons were always vibrant ...!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  2. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

The first season was more than pretty good, as it generally was with every Irwin Allen production. But, as with all of his shows, he shot the budget wad on script writers for the first season.
    The original Lost In Space was so cool if you ask me. In the first episode Dr. Smith was a murderous spy whose mission was to FU the mission and kill the family. By the third season he was a bumbling clown/coward.

It is a great premise for a series. But it needs good writing.

Deesky likes this.
  3. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Lost in Space's low budget sh***iness is what makes it awesome. Make it too good and it's not LIS.

4. Remurmur

I agree with Mr. Harris and think that Oldman's Dr. Smith was the only laudable element worth mentioning from the movie.

5. Remurmur

Agreed. The first 6 episodes or so of the first season showed what a great series Lost In Space could have been.

I continued watching as well, even though the escalating cheesiness of the 2nd season was a total turn-off, even to the 10 year old that I was.

To me, the the Jupiter 2 was the true star of the show in the 2nd season. I would have loved living on it ....:)

EdogawaRampo likes this.
  6. EdogawaRampo

I don't think the original was especially low-budget for the time, not for 1965 TV. In fact, you can see on YouTube a network promo about how they spent a wad of cash on effects...

Different world.

Found it:

Little science mistake on the part of CBS narrator: they weren't on the way to a new galaxy. They were on their way to the solar system of Alpha Centari -- the closest star to the Earth besides our own sun.

7. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Loved this show - when I was 5. The reason this show is so bad is that they were following the audience. It went bad when they learned that it was mostly children watching, and started playing to them. The best way to make this work would be to make it as terrifying as the title implies. "Lost" - is there ever a more unsettling feeling than not being sure of your surroundings? "Space" - the vast unknown. The possibility of dying instantly at any moment. Real, unimaginable horrors.

It would be a tough TV show to make. No soft landings or sustainable environments = lots of CGI. Darkness. Fear. A family clinging together while being pushed to the limits of sanity.

As a TV show, this concept doesn't stand a chance. Make a movie, but change the title.

I'll be in Hollywood, if anyone wants me.

8. EdogawaRampo

One of the coolest saucers ever, no doubt.

Remurmur likes this.
  9. Remurmur

And after rereading this post, I suddenly realize that I need to start proof reading a bit more before I hit send ...
    geez...:)

10. EdogawaRampo

Not sure that's how it went down. What I read (somewhere...don't remember now where) is that after the first season, Allen didn't have the money for the contemporary SF writers he had doing the plot episodes for the first season and that's when the crap came in.

The same thing happened with all of Allen's shows. Remember The Time Tunnel? At first, it was a Cold War weapons project to alter the outcome of history. Soon after, you had Merlin the Magician entering the modern age through The Time Tunnel, etc. First serious, then goofball.

Morton LaBongo and Remurmur like this.
  11. Remurmur

Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea eventually slid from serious to "goofball" as well...

12. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Yeah, but... Talking carrots? :p

13. EdogawaRampo

I'm sure there were no talking carrots in the first few episodes of any of Allen's shows. Afterwards, all bets are off. I remember talking carrots, but can't remember which show. And with Irwin Allen, it could have been any of them.

14. Remurmur

Well... drugs WERE cheap and plentiful then...;) :)

15. EdogawaRampo

And crossing the US/Mexico border in a MetroVan chock full of 'lettuce' didn't warrant a second look. Wave 'em through.

16. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I just downloaded the 24/96 of Marcin Wasilewski Trio - Spark Of Life. I was listening to Wayne Horvitz last night and it made me think of Layfayette Gilchrist a couple of keyboardist I really enjoy.

Simon A likes this.
  17. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

You're right the reboot need that. ;)

18. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

That and Heather Graham in that suit... :love:

19. Remurmur

YES....:love:

I would add anytime Heather Graham was in a shot, in that suit, without that buffoon Matt LeBlanc...:)

Simon A likes this.
  20. Remurmur

And speaking of that "movie"

The only reason That I own it on DVD, is that I was able to find a copy of it in the Big Lots bargain bin for just $ 5.00 as a four play package along with Contact, Red Planet ( another cringer), and Sphere.
    That made it just barely worth buying.

Except for Heather Graham in that suit of course...:)

21. smarone313

smarone313 Forum Resident

I say remake it as show about an individual who is trapped in a spaceship, lost in space. Eventually, he is partnered with multiple robots to assist him in mundane housekeeping tasks. To fight the boredom, they occasionally watch movies together and make comments about the more inane moments in those movies.

22. Remurmur

Great concept!

I'd watch that! ;)

23. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Crap. How did that end up in this thread. I thought I was posting in a jazz related thread.

24. I find it amusing that the only character in the original show that had any kind of emotional growth/development was the Robot.

25. Remurmur

LOL. :)

I thought you were making a Lost In Space related comment and I was just missing something.

And you got a like and a response to boot !...:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.