Lost: Season 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by grbl, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Done!

:D

Attached Files:

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Y'all check out www.hansocareers.com ? Look closely at the job listings. Several letters in each are in grey instead of black. If you feed them into a anagram generator, you get many possibilities, but the most intriguing is "asylum inmate"...

My friends and I had fun trying to match the job listings to various folks on the island, too. I know it's just a viral Monster.com ad, but...

3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Sounds plausible, but then what was Libby doing in the mental institution where Hurley was; in addition she was all drugged up?

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

oops, i forgot to put a winky on the end of the sentence! I was being facetious! :)

5. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

:laugh:

6. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

:whistle: Imagination stretched or stressed.

Is that a chicken dish? Post? #901

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Reconnaissance? Acting?

Regards,

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Or being silenced? (This is where Ken blows 1000 holes in my dopey theories. :D )

9. Dave D

Dave D Done!

It's the new KFC dish! See the Off Topic section for more! :)

As far as the show, I think it's the X Files Factor. Too many promises with too little payoff.

10. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Becoming all too true - a long hot summer to forget too - :)

11. GoldenBoy

Seriously? Thank GOD I gave up fast food 10 years ago.

I think The X-Files was very strong through its first 6 series then slacked off a bit for 7 and 8 until finally 'jumping the shark' for 9 and 10.

12. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

No comments about the Rhodes colossus' foot with four toes? Or is that the original dropping foot from Monty Python?

What I found mind-blowing were the sailing scenes. Sigh... Blue moving water was made for video.

As the world according to the Others seems to be divided in good and bad guys, what is Jack doing with Kate and Sawyer as prisoners of the Hostiles? Are there skeletons in his closet that haven't been flashed-back yet? ¿Related to his tatoos?

Looking forward to the third season. October seems so far away.

BTW, Claire's legs --which are delightful to my eyes-- weren't shown even once in the second season.

13. sbroache

sbroache Forum Resident

There are other character name connections to philosophers... Rousseau (the French woman) and we just found out Desmond's last name is Hume!

14. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

The websites and commercials are all part of "The Lost Experience." It's sort of like an interactive game with the audience to keep everyone occupied and satisfied over the summer. The center of it is www.thehansofoundation.org.

It won't be central to the plot, but will sort of flesh out the back story and goings-on of the Hanso Foundation. Read more about it at www.thelostexperience.com.

15. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Claire looked very beautiful last night.

The large stone foot made of rock was pretty mindblowing. What that means, I have no idea.

16. GoldenBoy

Emilie de Ravin. :love:

Attached Files:

17. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

So, is one of the writers finally making use of his Bachelor's degree in Philosophy. :laugh:

18. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

In the season finale, Michael is reunited with Walt. We find out that Henry Gale is the leader of the Others. We learned what happens when the button isn't pushed. And most importantly, we found out why the place crashed!

Exactly how much pay off do you need? If everything was laid out in black and white terms, the characters wouldn't really be 'lost' anymore, and the whole show would be pointless.

19. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Do you smell Carrots ? :)

20. GoldenBoy

I agree. What would the point be if they completely revealed everything? It would be like reading the last two chapters of a novel first - you already know what happens so why bother finishing it?

Of course, someone will now chime in and say they like reading the end of the book first. ;)

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...a friend of mine used to do that!...it freaked me out!...he was a Gemini, he told me that was his excuse for doing such.:D

22. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

I find all the references to philosophers and psychology itself to be very interesting. For instance, Jean-Jacques Rousseau befriended David Hume, but because of Rousseau's extreme paranoia, they parted company. (Sounds a bit like Danielle, doesn't it?) Also, Rousseau's philosophy was the exact opposite of Hume's: he stated that feeling was superior to reason and left room for a belief in God, whereas skeptisim and reason would only lead to despair.

Hume was a skeptic--he did not believe in the existence of a "great Perceiver" or God figure. He also doubted the existence of the self and the external world. Like Locke, he was an empiricist--all of the mind's contents come from experience through impressions, which is everything we see, hear, feel, love, hate, desire, etc. There is no objective reality, only what we can perceive, drawn from our own experiences.

Locke, as we know, was also very important in the world of politics as well as philosophy and psychology. He concluded that all human knowledge emerges from ideas generated from experience. Of course, he was the first to discuss the "tabula rasa" or "blank slate" theory--there are no innate ideas because children are born as a blank slate and the slate becomes filled by knowledge gained from experience. Both Locke and Hume were extremely influential to the neobehaviorist movement in psychology (c. 1887), and as I mentioned in an earlier post, the entire Dharma Initiative reeks of B.F. Skinner's book Walden II, an examination of a utopian society that functions through operative conditioning principals and a strong believe that freedom is an illusion. Concepts of behavioral engineering and social organiztion were hot topics in the late '60s, early '70s when the Dharma Initiative was developed.

23. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Easy there Grape Ape! ;) (Sawyer reference)

I was talking about the show as a whole, not just one season. The X Files offered to "reveal all" and did nothing. The skeptic in me thinks that 5 years from now, we still won't know a thing about the black smoke, that friggin horse, the numbers and how they pertain to Hurley's lotto win, the chicken hawk calling Hurley's name etc....

24. Drew

Drew Senior Member

The other similarity Lost shares with X-Files is that the episodes that mean anything are the season-finales, season premiere's, and of course sweeps week. The rest is fodder.

25. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

I wouldn't call them fodder but I wonder why can't the producer make more "plain" episodes, just with dialogue and people walking from one place to the other. They seem (I have never produced a TV show) to be cheap to make and would certainly bring in more revenues and perhaps keep the viewers happy/happier. Based on that I want to believe that there is a master plot and nothing is fodder. And that patience will be rewarded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.