Love Forever Changes Mono 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mt.Elga, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Mt.Elga

Mt.Elga Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just picked this up early at my local.. Haven't spun yet... Just wondering about this release... Thoughts?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  2. Mt.Elga

Sure..Its a Rocktober Rhino release by Bernie Grundman.. Not sure if it's a fold down or not..

theebrianrector42 likes this.
  3. theebrianrector42

theebrianrector42 Forum Resident

Thanks. I had no idea it was coming out.

4. Mt.Elga

Me either!..The cat at my local knew I would be interested..On the streets October 2nd..

pool_of_tears likes this.
  5. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

Seeing what went on in the discussions here leading up to ERC's mono release of Forever Changes, I am under the impression that there are no mono masters. ERC's was fold down from the stereo master.

WithinYourReach and sharedon like this.
  6. Mt.Elga

That's what I thought..I will be in touch later on the spin..

vinylshadow likes this.
  7. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Please share your thoughts because I wonder if they did some remixing done in Mono if it would sound better

8. theebrianrector42

This is true, yes. I still want it strictly as a collector.

vinylshadow and Mt.Elga like this.
  9. Mt.Elga

I shall..

10. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

electric-recording-company-taking-pre-orders-now-true-mono-love-forever-changes

Electric Recording Company Taking Pre-Orders Now for True Mono Love Forever Changes REVISED! PLEASE READ!!!!!
    Michael Fremer | Jun 12, 2020

[​IMG]

original and new ERC produced covers. (Photo:ERC)
    accepting pre-orders for its limited to 300 copies edition "True Mono" reissue of Love's iconic album Forever Changes. HOWEVER DUE TO A MISCOMMUNICATION, I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT IT IS A DISCRETE MONO MIX. IT ISNOT!. IT IS A FOLD DOWN FROM THE STEREO MASTER. MY PROFOUND APOLOGIES. I HOPE ERC WILL REFUND YOUR ORDERS IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED

11. theebrianrector42

Yes! I would also love to know what's what.

Mt.Elga likes this.
  12. Mt.Elga

Yup..

13. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

We have gone over this time and time again here at the Hoffman forums. There never was a dedicated mono mix of Forever Changes.

14. theebrianrector42

Yes, yes. We know this. My interest is purely as a collector. I just want to know how it sounds. Where it's sourced from. Etc.....

Trixmay 988 and TheMovieRad like this.
  15. Mt.Elga

Ok,it's doesn't have the soundscape of the stereo but Arthur's guitar and vocals are way up front..I like the direct sound of the mono..fold down or not..

16. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I know this is a very dead horse on this forum but liner notes in the 50th imply that there is a difference between a straight fold and the mono “mix“ as presented in the 50th. Presumably that’s just the result of mastering or something but it’s curious they they expressed it that way in the liner notes.

Trixmay 988 likes this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have the original LP issue of the Mono FC album...upon listening to it years ago I was disappointed...it does not sound good...YMMV. : )

18. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

The 50th liners alluded to the idea that it might be folded from an alternate stereo mix but gave no evidence of where they got that idea. Seemed like something they threw in there as to make it not seem a worthless inclusion.

The original mono was folded using CSG process vs doing a straight fold. I don't know what source the modern mono CD and vinyl have used. Word is the original was cut using the stereo tape and folding (with CSG) on the fly. So the modern mono releases are either modern creations or maybe they had a safety dub also made of the original mono creation.

Six Bachelors and Pelvis Ressley like this.
  19. theebrianrector42

I used to have an original, also. I agree with you that it was disappointing. I wasn't disappointed in how much I received for it when I sold it, however. It's incredible what people will pay for a minty mono original.

20. theebrianrector42

So it's cut by Grundman but does it say if he cut from analog or hi-res digital?

21. Mt.Elga

Doesn't say..

22. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Pretty sure Grundman cuts everything with a digital step now. I'm hoping they remixed it somehow I think that would make it sound best at this point

Machiventa likes this.
  23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Grundman doesn’t cut in AAA anymore? I don’t believe that.

24. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

My local record store had it on when I walked in and it sounded great to my ears. I never had any previous exposure to Love. I have heard of them of course but this album sounded good. I was there for a half hour to hear some songs. I ended up picking it up for myself.

25. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

Yeahhhh, I'm not interested in a fold down mono version. I can't believe some people spent $400+ on the one from ERC. Then again, this is the SH Forums so I can believe it. I'll stick with the 2012 Chris Bellman cut.