DCC Archive LP artwork- lost in the shuffle--

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Winston, Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Winston

Dr. Winston New Member Thread Starter

It's not mentioned often enough but very little is made of the fact that great classic LP cover art has been cheapened and shrunk to the point I hardly ever pay much attention anymore---

Does anybody here remember getting a new Beatles, Stones, Moody Blues, Yes, etc etc and analyzing the cover, reading the liner notes that didn't take a magnifying glass, looking for clues, etc. It was part of the LP buying expereince.

I know it would cost a lot more but if say The Beatles catalog were ever reissued again wouldn't it be a gas to get full LP size artwork with the new SACD or CD enclosed. Theres a whole new generation of fans that have never been able to buy it new in full size form--what's the chance DCC could do this in the future to make a great product even more unique?

2. Ben

Ben New Member

Doctor:

What a fantastic idea!

Take it from me...DCC just received an inspiration that they could have paid a big-shot marketing firm a lot for...hope that doesn't cheapen it for them...

Attention: Steve - this is a "Eureka!" moment...they don't come that often (believe me)don't let it get away!

Whoa, Doctor!

Ben
    :eek:

3. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I think the best approach would be to do something like what was done for the limited edition Live at Leeds CD. You got a stock CD (in a jewel box with a miniature booklet), but it came in an album jacket that held both the CD and full sized reproductions of all the original inserts. I think it would be great if the Beatles CDs could be reissued this way. I actually prefer that approach to using mini LP style cardboard sleeves. I know all those Japanese imports that have mini LP style packaging are very popular (and EXPENSIVE), but I find it impractical to actually store the CD in a cardboard sleeve. With the Live at Leeds limited edition reissue, you got the best of both worlds.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yep, that reissue was actually pieced together very well, and the idea was nice. It's very true, it's not practical at all. :(

Sorry to dissapoint, but for the CD medium, a jewel box is still a great invention, and for storage purposes, even bad-stock CDRs last longer stored in a normal Philips-style jewel than sleeves of any kind.

I still lend fantasy to a time when the CD medium will become massive storage, and the CD will come close to 7-8" in diameter for more of a storage limit to be "pushed" and to signify a different storage medium.

The 1st prototype CD I've seen was in 1980 or 1981 when they used what seemed to be a mere laserdisc and playback unit, but with a see-through chassis. It was on something like the "Today" show. An audio engineer was talking about that unit and format to replace Lps in the year 2000 or sooner. They were only partially right; they reinvented it to the 5 1/4 "Compact" disc, and still in the year 2000 Lps were still being bought...just not as much ;)

The lazerdisc was a whole different waxball.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Ah yes! The memories of strutting around the record store proudly displaying your latest intended purchase. In those days you thought you were bad stuff carruing around the new Yes or Boston LP. These days you gotta slam it down on the counter (not too hard, though, those cases are a pain to replace!) to make people take notice of your purchase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.