LP Cover Upgrade: Have I Jumped the Shark?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ROFLnaked, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a particular mono 6-eye Columbia LP in nice VG+ condition, but the cover is completely split on top & bottom. This record probably has decent collector value, but it's one I reach for frequently and I have no designs on selling it. Plus, the splits aren't too apparent when it's in the snug-fitting plastic protector.

An opportunity has presented itself for a trashed vinyl copy of this record with a decent, non-split and non-taped cover for 20 bucks. The $20 won't break the bank, but I'm over the barrel on how prudent it would be to throw $20 at something that only I will ever know or care about; something that has no bearing on the listening experience.

May I know your thoughts?

2. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I've done this before and I'm sure I'll end up doing it again.
    As long as it's an identical cover then I'd say go for it.

lightbulb and Panama Hotel like this.
  3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

All that matters is that it matters to you.

gillcup, curbach and lightbulb like this.
  4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

A trashed LP for twenty bucks? What is the title? Unless its screamingly rare pass and keep looking.
    I have done this many times and never would pay more than a couple bucks. Usually 50 cents.

LinnsondekLP likes this.
  5. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Go for it! I have spent more than that to get a good cover. I won't be selling my collectables but someone in the future will thank you.

gillcup likes this.
  6. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I had a similar experience recently, but it was with a CD and the replacement copy was only $5. My old copy of Van Halen 5150 still functions fine, but years ago I had ruined some of the cover artwork by spilling beer all over it. So I ordered a copy of an old Made In Japan which was only $5, partially because I noticed it came in a nice old smooth edged case with all the artwork intact. Sure enough, when I received this replacement copy the disc itself was pretty trashed, but now for $5 I have a nice old heavy case and artwork for my original disc! I think $20 would be stretching it, though.

7. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

It’s all relative .....
    Are you a retiree living off limited earnings?
    At work, do you pretty much cough up $100 bills every time you sneeze?
    (I don’t really know what that means, besides being a very serious medical condition...)

But I hope you get my gist.....

8. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

It’s about the music for me. If I got it for a buck, sure, but twenty? Nope.

That’s the cost a a new record! I’d rather get the new record.

9. Anachostic

Anachostic Forum Resident

I don't see any issue with it. I'm guilty of doing this with CDs - swapping out the jewel cases. It will make for a great future Antiques Roadshow moment.

"This CD is in immaculate shape, and the fact it is a Japan pressing increases its rarity. CDs like this can easily go for four figures. However, see here, the jewel case has smooth sides? That's pretty typical for that era, but take a look here, inside, the spindle has 12 teeth, and this label only pressed CDs from a particular plant that had spindles with 8 teeth. So, I can definitively say this CD is not 100% original. It is rare, but without an original jewel case to go with it, I'm going to put its value at... twenty-five cents."

superstar19, jacethecrowl and MitchLT like this.
  10. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Stop making sense, you.

Chemguy likes this.
  11. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

It's a no-brainer! I'll accept a less than perfect record (if I have to) but a trashed cover? No chance!

The sleeve (condition and completeness) is probably more important to me than the condition of the record within... In my experience, a nice copy of the record isn't usually far away but a near perfect sleeve can be a challenge...

12. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Life's too short, man. Grab it and get a nice cover for something that you enjoy. I usually upgrade covers, inserts etc. when I see them and they aren't too expensive. $20 would probably be about my limit on something that's important to me.

Plus, if it's collectible as you say you can probably sell it back to another dealer for a few bucks who will try to resell it. Sadly in my experience, people are accepting trashed records these days much more frequently than before - both buyers and sellers, both trashed records AND jackets! A trend I find disturbing but alas, this appears to be the current state of the market.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    gillcup and Raunchnroll like this.
  13. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Some of my best records are marriages. A so-so record in a NM cover, then a NM record in a so-so cover. Personally I'd buy the good cover provided it is indeed the correct one.

gillcup and MrSka57 like this.
  14. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Me too, especially the 'Laugh-In '69' TV soundtrack.
    NM record 1st, NM cover 3 years later.

15. JerryC

JerryC Forum Resident

Hey...it's only $20. Go for it. If it will make you feel better, skip a fast food meal or 2 to make up for it!

superstar19 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.