LPBin LP storage cabinet - I like it!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GKH, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GKH

GKH Senior Member Thread Starter

I just got it put together last evening. I installed a 23" fluorescent under the top shelf for the lower section. Capacity is 560 LPs. Since just getting back into vinyl a little over a year ago, this will hold me for quite some time. Currently, I have around 200 LPs. Tonight, I will sort the LPs, and get them in alphabetical order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I have one too. Love it!

3. What are your store hours?

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  4. GKH

Sorry! By invitation only. :(

5. I actually still have someone many of the alpha bin headers from when I worked in record stores in the 70s. Would fit right in there ;-)

6. Whistlerskibum

Whistlerskibum Forum Resident

I have one of these as well, friends really enjoy coming over to the "store"

7. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Oh man! That's awesome!!

In the shot where we can see the bottom of one of the bins . . .is it corrugated, to prevent LPs from sliding?

EDIT: Ah, never mind, it's the "groove mat" per their website.

8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Cool!

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

With my back, my selections would be "top shelf" only.

10. mikem60

mikem60 Forum Resident

Built mine for 50 bucks ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358301654.503618.jpg

11. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Looks great. I will have to try to build one of those. What do you put in the bottom so the records don't slide forward when it's not full?

Pat

12. mikem60

mikem60 Forum Resident

13. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I use shelf liners to keep them from sliding.

I've got 2 and one of these for records in the current rotation. I suppose I could save some money by building my own but I'm not handy at all and don't really have time for such a project.

Great product. A lot more fun than trying to read the spines.

14. More records

dtotheatothevtot and WobblyWilly like this.
  15. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I wish I could have my records in something like this to flip through the covers rather than trying to read the spines. It would be so much more fun to figure out what I'm in the mood to play. Unfortunately they would take up the whole house

16. GKH

Indeed! LPBin does make this unit w/metal sides for retail stores. :)

17. GKH

Thanks! Those are the Groove Mats that LPBin sells. Price is $24.95 for the set of 2.

18. GKH

Some storage solutions work better for some folks than others. When I was spinning vinyl back in the 70s, and all the way to 2007 when I began selling off my vinyl, I never really had a good storage for my LPs. This photo is how I was storing my LPs most recently. It's an unused Armoire that we have in a spare bedroom. Perfect for my LPs! But, what I quickly discovered storing them in this manner with all of my LPs having outer sleeves, it really is a pain - especially putting them back, with the sleeves wanting to slide off. Lol!

And, since I have no woodworking skills, I'm glad I found the LPBin. It's sitting in my office which is only a short walk from my living/listening room. :)

[​IMG]

19. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That's why I store mine with the clear plastic sleeve opening at the top, and the disc outside of the cover, on the back cover. (Also prevents ring wear and seam splits to the cover.)

20. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Man I want to get one after my move this summer.

21. GKH

that's a good option, too!

22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Yes indeed! I have LPs that I bought new in the 1980s and have always stored in this fashion, and the jackets have absolutely no signs of wear.

23. GKH

When I order LPs - new or pre-owned, I always ask to have them packed so the vinyl is in the sleeve outside of the cardboard. That solves the problem of seam splits in shipping. I put all of my LPs in Mofi inner sleeves with the original sleeves alongside.

24. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

3 bins.jpg
    I built 3 of them with very minimal woodworking skills. The big box hardware stores will cut the wood for you. I only had to make the angled cut on the sides. The pic is dark because it was taken with my phone.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  25. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I see that you guys keep the records slightly tilted. Is that healthy for them? I always keep them straight vertical (filling the empty space with textbooks), being afraid of warps. Am I too paranoid?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.