LPs that are still inexpensive

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dividebytube, Oct 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident Thread Starter

Back before the vinyl resurgence, I could meander into a record store and find most records -if they still carried them! - in the $2.99 or $3,99 range. Sure, the occasional rare record or import would fetch more money, but the shrinking selection was always priced to move.

Now that vinyl has taken off again, I see common titles going for good coin, and rare records going for more money than many would want to pay. But yet there are exceptions.

One that comes to mind: Ahmad Jamal - his piano jazz was once very popular but you can still pick up most of his records for dirt cheap. Any other buried treasures out there?

[​IMG]

Any other buried treasures out there ? I'll be adding some more if there is any interest in this thread.

D.B. likes this.
  2. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

The prog stuff is still in the $5 range...Yes, ELP, Genesis, etc.

uzn007 and sathvyre like this.
  3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I bought some Linda Ronstadt records for $2.99. Those records are still there. Just buy the ones that aren't rare at all. You aren't going to find anything from the '90s cheap. But from the '70s, there are still bargains.

Chemguy likes this.
  4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There are a lot of possible answers depending on what the OP had in mind, but yes, 70's singer-songwriter and West Coast pop records by people like Joni Mitchell and James Taylor came to mind. Great sounding records that are usually cheap and usually in good shape.

5. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

Aerosmith, Aerosmith, and more Aerosmith -- the first five lp's are awesome and not high priced

Hammerpeg and Pennywise like this.
  6. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident Thread Starter

Steve Earle and the Dukes - Exit 0:

I bought my original 1987 vinyl pressing - still sealed - for only $5. Great Americana / Country Rock album that somehow only charted in the #15 position, perhaps lacking some of the stronger songs of the first and third album? Sophomore slump? Not to my ears!

[​IMG]

DTK and clhboa like this.
  7. jimi55

jimi55 Forum Resident

The Christmas music vinyl can still be found very inexpensive.

theshape likes this.
  8. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

I managed to snatch one of the two 'Genesis Collections' from 1975 for four euros - mine is a box set containing Foxtrot and Selling England. Dirt cheap, great condition, amazing music :righton:

Lots of 80s Top 40 costs next to nothing - Chris deBurgh, Huey Lewis & the News, Mr. Mister, A-ha, Tears for Fears, Duran Duran, The Cars... you name it. Maybe not exactly 'hidden treasures', but I find lots of great music this way.

9. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Don't forget Quarterflash. I often wonder if the former members are dropping off their remaining stock at thrift stores. I see that album in every dollar bin I browse through.

10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah I bought one mint for the same amount. Seems this album didn't do too well. Fine album.

11. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Country music is usually priced pretty reasonably overall.

12. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Merry Christmas from Firestone Tires, Vols. 1-37.

Some hipster label should do a vinyl reissue box set of the whole series and charge ridiculous amounts.

broshfab4, BudLoveall and Jack Lord like this.
  13. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Vinyl compilations. You can still get samplers and band collections containing very rare cuts or takes with superb audio for almost nothing. Often frowed upon by posh collectors, but heaven for true music lovers.

Old Rusty likes this.
  14. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Where do you buy prog, because I need prices like that.

LivingForever and jmpatrick like this.
  15. Leonthepro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of the stuff from these bands is cheap still and are what I like to call Budget Audiophile Records.

MONOLOVER likes this.
  16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

agree save for the chapman. every shop i've been to in my area seems to know the (at least intrinsic...) value of that and it's rarely below $15 for a used vinyl copy. some lunatics have priced as high as $30.

17. Leonthepro

Damn, come visit Sweden, at the HIGHEST 10$ but never over it, regardless of condition. Granted those are usually German pressings but the mastering is still the same I believe. Sounds fabulous. Some records you have over there are more expensive here though, different pros and cons I suppose.

Edit: I remember now being perplexed that the Chapman record was expensive on Discogs.

GentleSenator likes this.
  18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

it sounds so good and is a remarkable album. a clean, vetted copy will sell well here as well!

Leonthepro likes this.
  19. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Everybody's Records in Cincinnati and Record Den outside Cleveland. Most expensive I've seen out of either was last year at Record Den and that was KC In The Court and they wanted $9 for an 1841 Broadway/GP/RI pressing.

Got a NM/VG Yes Album Monarch 1841 at Everybody's in Cincy for $5 last year.

Caveat... no guarantees those titles will always be at either.

20. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

Pretenders, Police, Blondie, LPs by those types of bands are usually not expensive. Although trying to find a clean copy of Zenyatta Mondatta is proving difficult.

Hammerpeg likes this.
  21. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Half Price Books, and most of my local stores will charge prog bands such as those mentioned for those prices if not lower. And, there's tons of stock.

22. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

I would love to get that Tracy Chapman album. Members of the Facebook vinyl groups I’m in seem to find it in the wild all the time, but I have not once found it in my local shops.

GentleSenator likes this.
  23. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

I got a nice clean VG+ copy of Zenyatta for five bucks at a local antique store last November.

24. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I'm catalog with Andy Williams and John Davidson.

25. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I've had usually had a bit of trouble finding Peter Gabriel-era Genesis, but when it does pop up it's usually pretty cheap. The Phil Collins stuff is everywhere though.

Jethro Tull, Supertramp, and The Moody Blues are also very abundant and cheap in most places.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.