LPs that are still inexpensive

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dividebytube, Oct 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I usually see a lot of singer/songwriter stuff for pretty cheap. Bruce Springsteen, Jackson Browne, Billy Joel, Elton John, Cat Stevens, etc. are very common.

2. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I don't how you feel about Neil Diamond, Linda Ronstadt, and Dan Folgerberg, because those albums are at every record shop I frequent......for cheap.

3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Try online maybe? I would like to have a US promo myself.

4. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I find vinyl of all genre's at thrift stores...goodwill...salvation at my etc. There are several within 15 or 20 minutes from my house. I usually pay a dollar or two. Tag sales, estate sales and flea market too are a good cheap source.

For more difficult to find titles there are a handful of record stores nearby. More expensive, but still some bargains to be had.

Overall, good quality vinyl at reasonable prices has become a bit more difficult to find.

5. Travadinho

Travadinho Forum Resident

Rap/hip hop (I still hate this term...) vinyl tends to be less expensive. Though, I don't think the genre is generally known for putting out high-quality pressings.

I picked up a copy of one of Shabazz Palaces LPs for a good price (sounds good too).

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Original 1950s pressings of albums by the likes of Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Peggy Lee, Duke Ellington, Count Basie and even artists like Dinah Washington and Julie London whose records are more scarce, can be acquired cheaply and in decent condition. There's a lot of fantastic music on them too.

7. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

80s pop/"rock," like Journey or solo Robert Plant.

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Simon and Garfunkel LPs, especially late 60s and early 70s pressings.

9. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I found an European copy in a charity shop some years ago. TBH, I haven't seen it since, but I'm sure it's not rare.

10. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I've been seeing similar prices in Raleigh (depending on the store, of course). I've seen a fair number of Yes and ELP records for $4 or less. PG-era Genesis has actually been a little more rare and expensive around here. Lots of Moody Blues as someone else mentioned. And I've been seeing Nektar albums everywhere for about $5-$7 for the last year or so.

Yeah, lots of great new wave/power pop. Squeeze, Pretenders, Graham Parker, Dave Edmunds all for $2-$3 each.

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes. Need to check condition though because some of the music is so quiet that vinyl crackle can ruin it easily.

uzn007 and Man at C&A like this.
  12. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Like others have said, Moody Blues records are common and dirt cheap.

Dr. Funk and Man at C&A like this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Same with the Ella, Sinatra, Peggy etc LPs I mentioned above, but for people who like that kind of thing, bargains can be had. It did take me a while to get all the Simon and Garfunkel LPs but I wanted the laminated sleeves and near perfect sound. I got there in the end.

uzn007 likes this.
  14. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

With some exceptions, of course, I find that virtually anything released in the years 1978 - 1985 represent pretty good value. Even the jazz stuff like the ECM and Black Saint titles from this era are consistently cheaper.

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Anything by The Tubes or J Geils Band!

Scoop them up!!!!

uzn007 likes this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's true for the UK too, but there's some rare indie 45s and albums which can be expensive.

17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Dan Fogelberg. :D

18. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

On a side note, a lot of vinyl would still be inexpensive if people had resisted paying a lot for an album. High prices in charity shops have to a great extent extent been because of vultures trawling them daily in order to buy and sell at heavily marked up vintage vinyl stores. As a result, and also because raised prices were visible online, charity shops in turn, raised them.

However if you're a Herb Albert fan, you probably still in luck.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    gorangers likes this.
  19. uzn007

That's called "supply & demand".

marcb, nicotinecaffeine and Andrew J like this.
  20. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

The Hometown Band's 1976 "Flying" lp held steady at $2 throughout the 90s.

21. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Haven't seen it at all in a LONG time. Picked up the 1988 Atlantic cuts of Nursery, Foxtrot, Sell and Live for $3 each, but that was in early 1997. Outside of that, I've only seen Puke, ABACAB and S/T. No Lamb, Trick, Wind or Three.

True about Tull, Supertramp and MB. Must've seen over a hundred copies of Benefit and DOFP/Sojourn/LDV over the past ten years.

uzn007 likes this.
  22. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I admire your honesty. Hell, I like you. You can come over my house and have ten copies of ELP Works languishing in my garage.

Summerisle likes this.
  23. uzn007

I think it's a law that you can't open a used record store without at least one copy of Benefit.

GentleSenator likes this.
  24. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

From my perspective, it boils down to those records who's popularity have withstanded the test of time. Original Pink Floyd's DSOM(in which millions were pressed) still fetch silly amounts of money as does any of the original Led Zeppelin or Beatles catalogs. Loggins and Messina records that were immensely popular in the day are "dollar" records all day long. It depends on how they have translated into today's generations and record buying public.

GentleSenator likes this.
  25. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Only in some parts of the world, then :laugh:

Here, it seems every record shop has to have something by Stefanie Werger (austrian singer who was extremely successful in the 80s) or Barclay James Harvest.

uzn007 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.