Luke's (early) My Generation Review

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lukpac, Aug 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

About most people you may or may not be correct, but as for recording engineers and mastering professionals, it is significant.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member Thread Starter

One other thing to note - the tambourine is missing in I Can't Explain.

3. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Forum Resident

My cmputer wouldn't play the clips real well, so I can't make a judgement, but leaving the horn out of "Circles" is an outrage.

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

If something is missing from a stereo remix because it is not on the multitracks, I pretty much expect to live with it. As long as I know that it is a stereo remix and there are parts missing and/or replaced with alternate takes, I know the limitations of what I am buying. It's when they add stuff (ADT/flanged doubling of parts, modern overdubs on a vintage recording, etc.) that I get ticked off.

The fact that there are things missing on the multitracks that are on the mono master tapes is why the idea of a mono remix should only be a last resort in the event that the mono master has gone to hell in a hat-basket.

Regards,

5. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

I agree. I'd be happy with the new stereo remix and the best available original mono. In the end I'd probably listen to the stereo for the impact and clarity unless it was missing some essential overdubs.

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

There is a version of "Circles" that is minus the horn, and is a different take. It's on the Polydor CD "Rarities Vol. I & II". Is this the version on the album? I'll be able to tell when I buy and can compare.

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

The Rarities CD has the re-recorded version from the British B-side of "Substitute", recorded after the break from Talmy. Totally different recording, not related.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member Thread Starter

Actually, that version (recorded post-Talmy) has a horn - you can hear it clearly in the intro!

BTW, no need to "guess" as to how the remix will sound - check out the MP3s on the link I posted.

9. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.