Lyra Delos vs. Benz Micro Wood SL Comparison

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cliff, Mar 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man Thread Starter

I figured I'd post this for anyone who might be considering either of the two carts in the title. I had first purchased the Benz Woody. I put between 300 and 400 hours on it. Once I started ripping vinyl though, the cart had a bit of haze to the upper end. I'm not sure that it was rolled off as much as it was just darker sounding. So I did some research and ended up buying a Lyra Delos right about Christmas time (2016). It was on my Classic 1 for maybe 80 - 100 hours. Last Saturday, I got a bug up my butt and decided to switch back to the Woody. Remembering about where the top of the cartridge aligned to the headshell, it took about an hour to setup. So I listened to a lot of music Saturday and Sunday through the Benz. Here is my direct comparison:
    Delos loading: 100 ohms resistance; 200 pf capacitance; 60dB gain
    Woody loading: 1000 ohms resistance; 200 pf capacitance; 60dB gain
    Bass:
    Benz is far superior. It's not only lower, but kicks much harder. It also has that sort of "warmth" to it that I don't find on digital music. Organic? I don't know how to explain it...
    Midbass: Benz again. It's more present and has that warmth again. Stronger lower bass guitar notes and deeper tomtom impact.
    Midrange: Benz by far. The things I have been missing with the Lyra are back. Vocals carry far off to the sides. Cymbals (decay, not impact) have longer decay and again, explode off to the deep sides of the soundstage. Much more space around everything. All instruments have more air around them.
    Treble: This is a tough one. On one hand, I like the Delos. Snare cracks really hit you square in the chest and right between the eyes. Stuart Copeland's are a great example on Synchronicity. Spirits In The Material World almost makes me blink every time he smacks that snare. But cymbals are a bit too overwhelming with the Delos. They are too high pitched for my liking. Realistic? Yes. But I always preferred Zildjian Ks personally. Which is why I like the Benz sound for cymbals. They're darker but still have fantastic impact. But snare drums lose some attack with the Benz. I love a tightly tuned snare of less than 5" depth. The attack should be high pitched and cutting. A bit is lost with the Benz, although it's still pleasant.
    Vocals: Benz... By far. They have a touch of warmth to them and far less sibilant than with the Delos. Some whistling resonance occurs with the Delos and the blame could be partially on my metal armtube. I have a 3D coming in next week and I'll mount the Delos on that to see if that singing/resonance is eliminated or at least minimized. For digitizing, the Delos is the clear winner. It's much clearer and not as 'hazy'. But on my playback system, the Benz far excels the Delos. The Delos is a bit too bright through my Krell and Legacy speakers. The Benz loves more volume and never reaches that point where treble takes more control.
    Imaging: Benz. I'm hearing things again that I haven't heard with the Delos. Also, the soundstage has been extended about 2' further out on each side. Little nuances are picked up by the Benz that the Delos missed or it was too subtle to bring attention. MJ's Thriller has some killer vocals way off to the sides like they're whispering in your ears. The Benz picks up these small details and brings them out more prominently. This made me smile as I looked to the left and right at times thinking someone/something was in my listening room. The Benz also portrays things like duets in the center but off enough to know they're singing right next to each other instead of on top of each other.
    In fairness, I never set my Benz at 1000 ohms resistance. I tried up to 660 previously. I think it's fantastic right where it is now.
    Anyway, that's my in-depth review of the two carts as they compare in my system. Looking forward to seeing how the 3D arm changes the tone of the Delos. But I'm glad I gave the Benz another shot. I don't remember it sounding this damn good.

2. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Cliff, thanks for the comparison. It's pretty rare that we see a comparison of the Lyras to most other cartridges. Your review hits home for me. I am considering a replacement for my aging Benz Ruby 2. While the cartridge still sounds great, I know that it is probably getting a little long in the tooth. So, I was considering either the Delos or the Kleos. Problem is that to actually hear either of these cartridges in my system is impossible before purchase. Seems like there are many people who actually prefer the Delos. I was contemplating a new Benz LPS MR, but this too is impossible to hear in my system. The Ruby 2 brings all that you mention in your review of the Wood Sl. Therefore, its replacement had better be one heck of a cartridge, otherwise I am going backwards! Have you tried the Delos at a higher loading factor?( say around 750 ohms) The 'might' change your opinion....or perhaps not??? Anyway, nice review.

Cliff likes this.
  3. Cliff

Thanks @DaveyF . I had bumped the resistance up to 475 but things seemed worse for me, not better. I suppose I could move it up higher but I suspect as with pretty much all cartridges, the highs will be even more pronounced. I thought about upgrading to a Kleos but I've read mixed reviews on it. Some say it's even brighter than the Delos. So my next upgrade will most likely stay in the Benz family. Either an LPS or an Ebony.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  4. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Thanks Cliff for a very interesting comparison. I've a Benz Micro Wood SM (right now around 820 hours of use and still going strong) since I've a tube phono stage but I recognise your description about how the Wood SL sounds as my Wood SM has the same sound character. I've had the chance to listen to the top model Benz Micro LP S in a friends sound system and IMHO the Wood is not far behind its bigger sibling soundwise- the Wood cart might actually be the sweetspot in Benz Micro's model program.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    rollo5 and Cliff like this.
  5. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Thanks for the detailed comments. I have had Benz cartridges for a long time, Glider then a Wood and now an LP for the past 5 years. As much as I have liked my Benz carts, I have wondered how a Lyra might compare. I suspect my reactions would be very similar to yours, so thanks for saving me the trouble!

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I'm going to replace my current cartridge, Van Den Hul Frog Gold, very soon with a Benz. I'm leaning towards a Gullwing (correct spelling?) or the next one up the line, Ruby Z.

How do Benz's track and handle surface noise?

7. Cliff

One thing I left off of my comparison was surface noise. And the Delos certainly kicks the Woody's butt on picking up less surface noise. But I don't think you can have one without the other. Details of the Benz outweigh the added surface noise, IMO. But if surface noise drives you crazy, you may want to think reconsider Benz.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  8. BD2665

BD2665 Forum Resident

Interesting comparison. I've not had an opportunity to hear a Benz and this makes me want to hear one. This is one of the very few reviews I've read that basically says the Lyra sucks. I love mine but maybe I'm missing something or maybe it's just what works or doesn't work best with your system.

9. Cliff

I made sure to mention that fact. The Delos doesn't 'suck' by any stretch. And it will be my go-to cart for digitizing vinyl. Especially for hard rock and heavy metal. The Delos gives the music that edge and top end sizzle where the Benz is a bit more relaxed and can sound dull (again, for my digital rips). The Benz is much more musical in my main system. With a tubed preamp or power amp, I'm sure it could be different. It all comes down to your system's synergy.

10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Maybe it didn't but the way you've calibrated it the 2nd time, it now sounds better than it ever did.

11. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

And, of course, everyone's tastes vary. I had a Delos, it was a kick butt cart, I had no trouble seeing why they have such a following. Ultimately it wasn't for me, but that's a bit like saying I prefer Ribeye over Strip - they're both exceptional adventures in food, but you may just find you prefer one over the other. Takes nothing away from the one you don't like. In my case, I favored a DV20X2L over the Delos, and that speaks to the kind of sound I prefer in my system.

12. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I retiped my benz glider from sound smith, sounds great...if you have a worn benz, consider a retip.

13. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

I thought Benz production had been discontinued several years ago. Or do they have US distributors again? I owned a Glider years ago. But then moved to Lyras first with two Dorians and now a Delos for past three years which I like but would be open to hearing a Wood.
    I remember auditioning a Benz Ace L at one point and not being moved by it. This review has me intrigued though because my phono stage was designed by Lukaschek and my old Wilson Benesch Hybrid( in a drawer) is based on a a Benz motor.
    Who sells Benz carts in the US now?

14. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

I believe that Benz is still being handled by Garth Leerer at Musical Surroundings.
    The Benz production did come to a near stand still about a year plus ago, but I think Albert has reorganized and has streamlined his production....supposedly!
    Anyhow, one of my friends tells me that the Lyra Kleos will easily surpass a Benz LPs MR....I'm very suspicious of that claim...
    My Ruby 2 is one heck of a cartridge and it's going to take a real winner to beat it.
    I guess we shall find out what that will be in the next few months.

j.barleycorn likes this.
  15. Cliff

True. But it's strange because 660 was tried and not liked. Bass got a little thinner and the top end was a bit too pronounced. I felt the Benz sounded best at 475 Ohms and that's where it sat for 90% of the hours it has on it. But I guess owning the Delos for 3 months changed things about my preferences - in a good way.

16. BD2665

BD2665 Forum Resident

I was not trying to start an argument because it ultimately doesn't matter because I'm not listening to your system or you mine. However when I reread your initial post the Benz is better in all aspects except for digitizing which again is strange because why make an exact copy of an inferior listening experience ? At the price level of both of the carts to have one be that much better is interesting. Again I'd still like to hear the Benz just to compare. That's the one problem with carts is that it's hard to compare because they are difficult to move In and out of your system. I appreciate your thoughts and observations.

bob173rd likes this.
  17. Cliff

Great question, actually. And sorry I left that off of my initial review. I rip the copies for playback on an SD card for use my car or I playback digital files on my computer setup. Neither are capable of anything close to the resolution of my main rig and thus, the Benz can sound a bit dull.

18. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Personally, I would never load a Lyra Delos at 100ohms. 250ohms will give it better liquidity and flow. However if ones system tends towards brightness in any area, it will tell you as its pretty transparent.

hi_watt likes this.
  19. Cliff

Please explain 'better liquidity and flow' in layman's terms.

20. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Hey Cliff,
    After many years in this hobby, I came to the conclusion about 5 years ago that to evaluate components you do it exactly the way you describe. That is, install the new component in your system listen for an extended time, then go back to the old system. You know right away the pluses and minuses.

I have been using Benz carts for many years, Glider, Wood and now Ref 2 Silver. They mate well with my Linn/Ekos. But I have always been intrigued by Lyra, partly because of reviews, and partly because Linn carts are made by them. I'm still intrigued, but maybe a little less so now. Thanks for sharing this.

BTW, my system is completely tubed (ModWright LS-100 with tube phono and MasterSound Due Trenta Amp), I get incredible imaging with vinyl and that is the main reason why I prefer it to digital.

Cliff likes this.
  21. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

I think cartridges are mostly taste. I love the smooth sound and beautiful midrange of the Benz. Lyra Delos is pretty detailed if that is what your into, not saying the benz is not. I think this review is pretty spot on. Sometimes the Lyras sound threadbare to me but that could be the system as well. Benz definitely is not that.

Shiver and Cliff like this.
  22. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

@Cliff
    You have a PII+, I have a PII and now have the Nova II and also run a Delos. Your mention of 200pF really does not apply to MC carts, but you can flip back and forth and see which sounds better but really it should not have any effect.

The Delos requires insane amount of setup and attention, once there it is magical. The Delos does not like to see a low loading at the phonostage, sure we all know that 100 ohms is pretty safe, Delos internal impedence is 6.3ohms so 10x is much less than 100 ohms. Still, it does not like that.....What phono cable are you using and do you know it's capacitance? It needs a low capacitance cable something around 100pF or less, is what the Delos likes. A lower setting at the phono stage is gonna make the Delos work harder and will stiffen the compliance so the cantilever will move less. The cantilever needs to flow freely in the grooves (as Turntable stated). If you follow the mathematical instructions for the Delos for loading that will give you the best performance from it, assuming you have a low cap cable.

Also I can't stress enough, azimuth must be pretty much perfect.....The Delos internal guts are designed to work with perfect azimuth and the cart head parallel to record surface, and VTF at 1.75g, this New Angle design by Lyra creates perfect alignment of the coils, again that gives you the best performance, I use the Foz meter to set azimuth.

Once I went from a very high cap cable to one that is under 100pF and set the loading on the Nova II to 475 ohms......I entered another dimension of dynamics, resolution and clarity. I also have the gain set at 56dB using the KAB Gain calculator since the Delos is 0.6mV, more gain is not the answer. Michael Yee is not a fan of high gain.

There are threads by JCarr from Lyra about loading......You can search Google.

I too have read that the Delos is pretty darn close to the Kleos.....Not sure I will ever use another cart.

Cheers

23. Davey

Davey NP: Bruce Brubaker ~ Eno Piano (2023)

The Benz Micro Wood SL is the best sound I've gotten from my system, coupled with the Clearaudio Avantgarde table and Satisfy carbon fibre arm, seems just about perfect. Electronics is all Conrad Johnson with loading at around 500 ohms, so relaxed and natural. Not sure it can get much better, but then again, it always does (and I haven't heard the Delos) :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    gakerty, GyroSE and Cliff like this.
  24. Cliff

@Catcher10 Thanks for your input. But that ship has sailed long ago. I sold the Delos and will NEVER be back on the Lyra boat again. Not that the Lyra was bad in any way. It's just that Benz has the sound I crave... I had extremely low capacitance RCAs. You can look up the specs on the Better Cables Silver Serpent IIs (1m). I messed around with loading and as I went up, I disliked the sound even more. I couldn't seem to go low enough... With the Benz, I have lots of room to play on either side of the loading. I'm now at 660 Ohms and very happy (my digital rips are not dull at all anymore). Anyway, I'm glad you're happy with the Delos. MANY people love it. I'm clearly in the minority. However, there are virtually no comparisons on the internet between comparable Benz and Lyra carts which is why I figured I'd post mine.

EDIT: These were the cables I used for the comparison (moved on since): Silver Serpent RCA Audio Interconnect Cable Anniversary Edition
    They're 17.3pF/ft.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    Timbo21, GyroSE and Catcher10 like this.
  25. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

^ Only the ears matter.......

Turntable likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.