M. Night Shyamalan's "Split" - January 20th, 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ky658, Jan 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

"Split", number 1 at the box office for the third week at 98million with a projected gross total now at 138million. I think it could now be called a hit movie. Good for you M. Night!

2. Mainline461

"Split", number 1 at the box office for the third week at 98million with a projected gross total now at 138million. I think it could now be called a hit movie. Good for you M. Night!

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Now, THERE'S the 'twist'!

4. Mainline461

Wow, I didn't mean the post it four times. This morning it wouldn't post at all, so I kept trying and it posted every time I tried. Sorry about that.

5. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I usually like Shyamalan's movies. I'm pretty sure I was the only one in the theater who didn't care too much for Split. Some really rambling random thoughts:

I didn't hate this movie, was just sort of underwhelmed by it. I am actually glad Shyamalan has a hit on his hands! I have pondered this movie a lot since I saw it Friday.
    I guess I need to rewatch Unbreakable soon. I saw it when first released and have forgotten much of it (I liked it).
    Shyamalan seems to have kept things pretty much dead solemn in this film to avoid possible those pesky WTF laugh-out-loud moments such as those in The Village and The Happening. Some of the setups could have easily gone off the rails.
    James McAvoy's various personalities were portrayed rather simplisticly with little depth in order to help to differentiate them from each other.
    Betty Buckley as usual just gets on my last nerve. Sorry.
    Shyamalan certainly telegraphed Casey's physical secret revealed at the end pretty noticeably.
    Unfortunately I got up to pee just before Shyamalan appeared in his cameo. Alan said I could not have picked a worse time to take a break.

6. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I am curious what you Lol'd at in The Village? We love that film, and it is actually our favorite of his classic run.

Mainline461 likes this.
  7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Seems to be doing quite well at box office.

I really liked it.

Mainline461 likes this.
  8. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Saw Split last night. While I thought the film was pretty good, James McAvoy's brilliant multi-layered performances into his various 23 personalities were as chilling since seeing Edward Norton in Primal Fear. And I did kinda glance over the film being somewhat of a sequel to Unbreakable but I never really thought much of it tbh - up until the appearance of Bruce Willis at the very end. And I do agree that it's good for Shyamalan to have a successful film again. I never got to see Lady in the Water and After Earth which I haven't much interest in seeing really. Can't remember much of The Village and I didn't like The Happening at all. And The Last Airbender was absolutely atrocious given the fact that I love the Animated Series. That series deserves a better adaptation so why they left the property in M. Night's hands is baffling to me.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm surprised this is still showing at first run theaters in my area. Is this a legitimate "hit" for Shymalan? I don't know how accurate budget and box office numbers as shown at IMDB are, but they show a $9 million budget and as of January 27th, $65.5 million in ticket sales.

10. Mainline461

As of Feb. 26th it was at 130 million in ticket sales and is still on a full schedule at all my area theatres also, so I would say that might constitute a hit. It was also #1 at the box office the first three weeks it was out. In this age of social media where negative (and positive) opinions can spread almost immediately; it's a a real testament to this films' staying power. With those numbers I hope to see a sequel.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  11. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Just watched this film and it was better than I expected. Good performance by James McAvoy, and the final scene was a pleasant surprise. I guess now we know who's coming after "the beast" in the sequel.

12. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Rumor has it that "the sequel" will actually be the much-anticipated sequel to Unbreakable, not specifically a Split sequel.

13. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Unsplittable?

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Split Hard: Even Splitter

jon9091 and Solaris like this.
  15. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Pete Puma, Drifter and jon9091 like this.
  17. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

The title is actually "Glass" for those not clicking on the link.

Great title!

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Finally saw this. Great film. Smart. Excellent script. And MNS once again showing what a wonderful and tasteful director he is. A thriller in league with "The Silence of the Lambs." What a pleasant surprise. Glad to see him back on track. I put this film right after "The Sixth Sense" in his repertoire. After suffering through "10 Cloverfield Lane" I thought I'd never want to see another teenage girls locked in the basement movie again but MNS managed to actually make a fun and well directed take on a genre that's usually bottom barrel. I love the way he can't resist from taking everything up a notch to this supernatural level.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    carrick doone and Mainline461 like this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Unbreakable"
    January 2019 morphs with" Split"
    Title : Glass.

20. Did you feel that "10 Cloverfield Lane" was a shaggy dog story? I liked it until the conclusion. Seems they took the easy way out.

21. alexpop

G L A S S
    Shyamalan drew inspiration from these comics Saga, Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the secret house of the Night of Dread Desire, Sand Castle, Paper Girls, Daytripper and Last Look.

22. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Saw it last night. Great performances- we really liked it.

Mainline461 likes this.
  23. alexpop

Spoiler ..

Got the DVD a bit underwhelmed.
    Nice cameo from Bruce Willis.

24. alexpop

What sounds good on paper, a film's execution is something different.

25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

This'll be on HBO in a few weeks.....
    along with "Get Out", if anyone is interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.