Mac-4100 valued at?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by coltlacey1, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking at an amplifier/turntable combination package. Selling for $1150.* the amp is a great looking mac-4100 (not recapped) and the turntable is a thorens td-115 (credo arm and cart) . Both are used but appear to be in very good condition. Ideas on value?

2. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

I have TD-115 with the original arm and use it with a Shure M44-7 for Mono and have a Shure V15 type IV for Stereo. Decent turntable that does what I want for 45 & 78s. I have thought about trying to build or have a plinth made. They sell in the $200 - 300 range I believe. I saw a MAC-4100 on Craig's List for $875 and a MAC-6100 or $800.

coltlacey1 likes this.
  3. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

MAC 4100 generally runs anywhere from $700 - $1,250 depending on condition and so forth.

Frankly, I suggest buying a freshly refurbished MAC from Audio Classics for $1,250 and eliminate the headaches. In view that reconditioning of a MAC4100 typically runs $400, buying one of these from most private individuals for ~ $750 just isn't worth the hassle, IMO - and that assumes cosmetic condition had not been overdescribed either.

McLover, coltlacey1 and JorgeGvb like this.
  4. coltlacey1

Thanks for that, I ended up picking it up anyway. I had posted this on short notice so the replies weren't fast enough haha no big deal. I will be able to make some money on the turntable for sure. Both are in fantastic condition. Hoping that I can stick with this Mac for some time. The Sanusi has been great but I want to have it serviced. Hopefully, I will not need to service the Mac for awhile.

5. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Congratulations on your purchase and I hope the MAC will meet expectations in all ways.

Many consider the MAC4100 to be one of the finest receivers made by McIntosh. It was a unit that the boys in Binghamton spared little in giving all it had within the limitations inherent in designing a receiver.

By all means enjoy it while you can, but I strongly recommend having it gone through at some point. A fresh set of caps & rebuilt power supply can make a world of difference in the performance capabilities of the 4100.

Again, congratulations and welcome to the sound of McIntosh.

coltlacey1 likes this.
  6. coltlacey1

Thank you. I definitely shall!

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Also, remember too that the MAC 4100 was also McIntosh's biggest seller ever and saved the company from tough times. This model saved McIntosh at the right time. And opened their sales up to many new customers and second systems for many McIntosh owners. A terrific receiver, that in my book was Binghamton's best ever receiver (only the MAC 1700 really was close in the company's history of receivers). Also, the MAC 4100 was the first McIntosh receiver to ever carry the McIntosh brand name as it was released when Frank McIntosh retired. Before the 4100, MAC audio division was the receiver line.

coltlacey1 and 62caddy like this.
  8. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

I believe the old man's disdain for receivers had more to do with flexibility rather than sonics: He held that the primary motivation for upgrading electronics was for increased amplifier power and having a receiver meant the whole unit would need to be changed out to do this. Conversely, "Mr Mac" was a big advocate of the tuner-preamplifier combination unit enabling the customer to simply upgrade the amplifier as needed.

The other benefit he saw was the inherent advantage of keeping lower voltage devices (tuner & preamplifer) on the same chassis where their operation is less likely to result in interference as opposed to combining a higher voltage device on the same chassis (amplifier). A tuner preamplifier model had been a staple in McIntosh's product line for many years.

In any case, the 4100 was a favorite of Gordon Gow who often used one for conducting demonstrations of speakers and other products at dealer stores.

pscreed, coltlacey1 and McLover like this.
  9. coltlacey1

She arrived today in the original box, with all manuals. Beautiful. I have not put the thorens together yet but it is also in its original box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pscreed, Jeff Edwards and 62caddy like this.
  10. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Hooked up to an ultra-efficient pair of CVs I'll bet your stereo can now make house pets spontaneously combust!

coltlacey1 likes this.
  11. coltlacey1

Definitely. The sound is very crisp. I don't know how else to describe it

12. coltlacey1

Hey does anyone know what would be a solid fm antennae for this receiver. We don't have a lot of stations here locally but I would still like to have full functionality of the receiver. I have been looking at several but I am very unfamiliar with indoor fm antennae, I need others input please.

13. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

14. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

I bet Pinhead loves the sound.

coltlacey1 likes this.
  15. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I picked up a Mac 4100 on Monday morning. The contacts are all scratchy as ****, so it's in a repair shop in Seattle today getting a once-over, but I'm excited to get it back and run it through its paces.

16. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Might not be a bad idea to have your tech eyeball the RCA jacks. These are beginning to develop a reputation on the MAC4100 (and other similar vintage Mc) for spotty/corroded contacts to the board. A friend plans on replacing the RCAs on his 4100 - all 22 of 'em. Truth be known, they were pretty crummy to begin with, probably from the same supplier to manufacturers from McIntosh to Emerson...:rolleyes: This minor quibble aside, in no way does it diminish the excellence of the MAC4100.

Congratulations on your acquisition. If I could own only one single piece of Mc, the 4100 would probably be it.

Good luck with it and enjoy.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    MLutthans likes this.
  17. bystander

bystander Forum Resident

62caddy, you've described the affliction of my 4100. Everything is great with this receiver, except the cheapo RCA jacks in the back. I also have a 6200, which shares much of the same stuff as the 4100, but the jacks on the 6200 are fine. So maybe this is a flaw unique to the 4100.

18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

@62caddy - thanks for the advice. I'll pass that along.

19. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

I was pretty much given the lackluster quality RCAs used throughout McIntosh of the period although I am in no position to state with absolute authority.

However this is also the case with older Mc tube equipment of the '60s which suggests they have been used for some time...

Last edited: May 20, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.