Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mikeyt, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident

Just now noticing that one of the only three theaters in USA showing Fury Road in IMAX 3D is down the street from me.

Guess the decision has been made as to whether I'll be seeing this film again in 3D or 2D.

2. I've seen it in both 2D & 3D. It was shot in 2D and it shows. The 3D wasn't so good in my opinion and this is one movie that really does not benefit one bit from being shown in 3D as it already explores such a deep field of vision but as always YMMV.

musicalbeds likes this.
  3. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Saw it in 2D. Awesome digital projection, stunning cinematography and editing. There were a couple of shots where objects were intended to be thrown at the audience, but overall I'd say save some bucks and avoid the 3D version; people who saw it were complaining about its excessive darkness, especially during the night scenes. The night scenes on the 2D were simply glorious; just like the rest of this wild, crazy ride. Fans of Mad Max: without giving away too much regarding the plot, this film is mainly about Theron's character. By the way, I'm glad I saw it on the big screen; terrific fun, 120 dynamite minutes.

4. Benefactor

Just back from Fury Road in IMAX 3D - I just couldn't wait to see the film again, so I caught the 1:30 show this afternoon.

All I can say is how wonderful it is to be excited about a film like a kid again.

The last couple of days since the film opened have been a wonderful escape from the day-to-day, and a breath of fresh air.

Kind of forgot how much fun getting lost in a good movie is...

Mark Nelson likes this.
  5. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Saw the 2D today. I purposely left my nit picker locked in a drawer at home and liked the movie very much. The best action visuals I've seen in a very long time. I am one who is bored to death by obvious CGI employed to depict the impossible. I wasn't sure when or where CGI was used, nor did I see long sequences of physically/ biologically impossible events. Bottom line is I wasn't bothered during the action so mission accomplished. I liked the multiple visual moments that paid homage to Mad Max 2. As for complaints I'd heard of about "Mad Maxine" it looked like a 50/50 share of heroics to me. I like tough, strong women so I wouldn't have cared if it was 80/20. Actually I think Max did more than Maxine. Hoping this gives nothing away but does speak to my general satisfaction, I was satiated before knowing...nevermind :ignore:

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  6. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I missed your post. Yes the night scenes were 100% clear and easy to view.

PH416156 likes this.
  7. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I wonder if different 3D systems (RealD, Dolby 3D, etc) impact the image brightness differently.
    Saw MAX in 3D and didn't feel like any of it was too dark.

8. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Okay if it wasn't shot in 3D I won't pay for 3D. Faux 3D is BS.

lbangs likes this.
  9. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

Pacific Rim wasn't shot in 3D and it's 3D is glorious

10. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I thought that Fury Road was successful as a frenetic action cartoon...
    but all the characters involved (including Max) were basically one-dimensional interchangeable caricatures
    that never did anything compelling enough to make me care about what happened to any of them.
    Take the name "Mad Max" off the poster, and it could've just been called "Generic Post-Apocalypse Gangs" or something.
    Oh, and this Max seemed pretty spry for a guy that needs to wear a metal leg brace.
    Sigh. :thumbsdow

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Just got back from a 3D showing. I am not a fan of 3D but after about 15 minutes I forgot all about it.
    Anyway, what a terrific film it is! Awesome.

12. Benefactor

I completely disagree.

The movie paid beautiful homage to what came before it, was arguably a better than anything prior, and had George Miller's fingerprints all over it.

As far as Max's bum leg from the prior movies, there are so many elements to Fury Road that go contrary to what was laid down prior...as stated so many times the movie isn't a sequel as much as a "reboot" or "reinterpretation" or whatever you wish to call it.

Purple Jim and Mark Nelson like this.
  13. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Well, I am glad that you (and many other people) enjoyed it.
    For me, it was just another weightless superhero cartoon, but in post-apocalyptic clothing.
    And if this Max doesn't have a bum leg, why is he even wearing the brace?
    Oh well. :shake:

14. Benefactor

The bigger question is how did the infant son he lost in the first MM film become a little girl in Fury Road?

15. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I bet most people wouldn't be able to tell if a movie was shot in 3D or converted in post.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  16. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I didn't take that little girl to be his daughter, just another person who he failed to save
    and haunts his conscience.

wayneklein likes this.
  17. Benefactor

She did speak to him as "Pa" a few times...and also "Max".

18. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I still need to watch that.

19. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I would say there was at least as much character development as in Mad Max 2, and with Nux, even more. But the bad guys were pretty much just cartoon characters. Still, I don't quite know why someone would go to a Mad Max movie expecting deep character development and use its absence as a reason to dismiss it.

I know plenty of people who wear leg braces and still play sports.

John K.

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The film is all about Furiosa and I think that was a good way to take it. The character of Max is very bland - just this tough, moody guy who helps her out. Added to this Tom Hardy himself is a pretty bland actor (there are too many of them these days).
    However, this doesn't stop it being a stunning action movie and I loved the art direction/design of it all. Hell, 98% of film critics loved it (source - Rotton Tomatoes).

21. Anyone looking for story continuity or consistency might just as well stay at home. Some have said this film is "supposed" to take place between Mad Max and Road Warrior. I can't see that. For a start he has THAT car, true, which suggests it takes place before Thunderdome but ***** POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT: his car is stolen and wrecked in this movie ***** so how could it magically reappear in Road Warrior? The girl who haunts him here was not his child, presumably because she "talks" to him and his son (not a girl!!!!) was not old enough to speak in Mad Max. This film is a complete reboot and re-imagination of the main character from the franchise and therefore the only thing we can be certain of for sure is that it takes place after the Mad Max film.

22. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

23. That whole theory is just plain stupid fanboy nonsense. The whole thing falls apart within the first sentence. For people to expound in great detail on their theories of these comic book films, you might have hoped that someone would have at least watched all four films fairly closely. Apparently not! :shake:

Mark Nelson likes this.
  24. Benefactor

I thought maybe Miller had rewritten that whole element in Max's past for the new film.

I guess not the case.

Apparently, the little girl's name is "Glory", and she's part of another Max story that will be laid out in a graphic novel later this summer -

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2015/0...y-road-check-out-whats-coming-in-its-prequel/

I love getting all geeked-out with this stuff...feel like a total nerd, but I don't care.

:D

25. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

People play sports with bulky metal leg braces?? Sure, I suppose it happens.

Besides the character and plot development issues, I also didn't feel that most of the action could feasibly be accomplished by human beings.
    Spider Man would have trouble keeping up with everybody effortlessly jumping from vehicle to vehicle. Oh, and never mind the "blood bag" nonsense.
    All this factors in to why I think the film worked as a fantasy/comic book superhero movie, but not a Mad Max episode.
    Again, I'm glad everyone else is buying into it. I just wish I did.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.