Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mikeyt, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident

Reading through your many posts, it seems like you didn't like the movie so much.

2. :laugh:

3. Wasn't the worst thing I've seen. But I was certainly disappointed personally and a little baffled at the universal high marks. Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron were pretty good though.

EDIT: beats part 3 though. That's for sure.

4. Benefactor

But I'm still kind of confused.

Did you like the movie, or not?

Scope J likes this.
  5. Someone needs to CC: Peter Jackson.

6. No. Unfortunately.

7. Benefactor

Sorry to read that...thought it was one of the better films I've seen in the last few decades.

At least as far as visceral, pure-action movies go.

I grew up on Mad Max & The Road Warrior...saw them both as "new" movies in the theaters as a kid...and thought Fury Road was spectacular.

I honesty can't imagine what you might have been expecting to be so disappointed.

Perhaps if you weren't in any way familiar with what came before FR...but if you were, and were still let down, then I don't understand.

Maybe after you make another 8 consecutive posts I will get it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    Old Rusty and rufus t firefly like this.
  8. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Yeah...the more I think about it.... I was just plain disappointed by it.

I'll definitely watch it again at home when it's available....but I don't see why there is THAT much critical praise for it.

However, I certainly didn't hate it...I save that kind of vitriol for JJ Abrams' Star Trek :D

jriems and mikeyt like this.
  9. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

It's no big deal not to like this or any movie, but I have to wonder which comparable movies to Fury Road were better and why. For me, it's hard to think of car scenes that were shot and edited better. Maybe parts of Le Mons and the BMW shorts. Some Bond films.

I did notice the teal and orange, but the only settings you see are either a sand-covered world or night scenes so it didn't bother me.

This was the first and only Mad Max movie I've ever seen. I loved it. Lots of fun.

PH416156 likes this.
  10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

IT ROCKS

11. spewey

spewey Senior Member

I wonder if Byron Kennedy is the missing ingredient?

Mad Max and The Road Warrior are two of my favorite movies ever.

Then after The Road Warrior...Kennedy is killed in a helicopter crash...and the next two Mad Max films just didn't resonate with me.

He seems to be the missing ingredient....just a guess.

Anyway....hopefully the NEXT Mad Max movie will be AWESOME! I'm certainly happy the franchise is back!!

captainsolo likes this.
  12. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I already mentioned the fact that Miller said they wanted to boost the colour for the film but the only two major colours in this film are orange desert and blue sky. What could he do? Nature of the beast.

mikeyt likes this.
  13. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Indeed Jacksons last three movies looked rushed and messy. Still Hobbit was a cash grab.

14. Please don't confuse MM:FR with a Hollywood movie! It's got little to do with Hollywood being an Aussie pic like the earlier 3 directed by George Miller, an Australian.

I saw it for a THIRD time yesterday in 2D just to see if my initial positive feelings towards it were a little obscured by my thirst for something of an action movie throwback, alongside all the other superlative reviews it's got. I don't think they were. If anything it's got better to me with repeat viewing despite one very silly contrived plot device (I won't mention it to spoil it for others who haven't seen it). This movie is utterly superb and reminds me why I ate up the original films (MM1 & MM2) back in my youth.

I've got Junkie XL's soundtrack playing in the car at the moment (which could be a dangerous pursuit on UK roads!) and it reminds me of the film when I'm driving to the point where I want to be standing atop an eighteen wheeler with dust blowing in my face, breathing in gasoline fumes through an iron face mask, all the while beating up leather clad "baddies" while motorcyclists fly through the air above our heads.

enro99, Benefactor and PH416156 like this.
  15. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I was playing the soundtrack on Spotify yesterday. Made my Gf feel 'anxious'. I did turn the sub up to max...

She didn't see the movie.

16. See post directly below your reply. I can't explain it any clearer than that. And if someone asks which current-ish action movie I think is better, my reply is The Raid (1 or 2).

17. Check out the car scene in the Raid 2. You won't believe how they got some of that footage. I won't spoil it though.

80sjunkie likes this.
  18. "Hollywood" is a genre now, in the same way those Hobbit movies jumped the shark and became Hollywood despite being Kiwi films. I can certainly recognize the homegrown Aussie aesthetic in the first two, not so much in 3 & 4/reboot.

19. So anything bad can be called Hollywood, hey?

20. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

"Hollywood" has been a genre since its inception. All those original Hollywood studios weren't in it for the artistic expression side of the business. Nor was it necessarily a put-down; to be so it has to be in comparison to something, and until the rise of significant independent, foreign or '60s+ Hollywood films it wasn't typically pejorative.

John K.

21. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

A lot of smaller independent films are also produced in Hollywood, yet for some reason they generally aren't described as being "Hollywood films". Just shows how meaningless the term really is.

Plus, hell, most of the major studios aren't actually located in Hollywood anyway. You might as well say a movie is a typical Burbank or Culver City movie.

mikeyt likes this.
  22. Benefactor

Saw that post - I loved Fury Road, but I've also enjoyed the J.J. Abrams 'Star Trek' films, so not really sure what to make of that.

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Turned "Raid" off after I realized its basically a video game put to screen. Terrible movie. The new Mad Max aint bad, but I prefer the old movies.

24. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Nothing better to do on a Sunday evening than transcribe Mad Max - Fury Road into emoji:

[​IMG]

--Geoff

25. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Shouldn't you have posted a "Spoiler Alert!" warning before that? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.