Magical Mystery Tour (LP) - Your reaction the first time you heard it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jun 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Much better than Pepper....

2. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

I was like 6 yrs old and thought "it's just like a read-along Disney record, I get a free Beatle comic book?"

3. keith1959

keith1959 Forum Resident

The thinking here, back in the day, was that if you put out a single and subsequently included it on the next album, you were short-changing the public.
    But in the case of Eleanor Rigby/Yellow Submarine, it was a single released on the same day 'Revolver' came out in the UK (5 August 1966), so you could
    ignore the single, you have both tracks on the LP anyway.

Similarly, Something/Come Together from 'Abbey Road' was a UK single released on 31 October 1969, but the LP had been available since 26 September 1969.

It was the notion here that releasing a single in say, May, and then including the A&B sides on the next LP in July was bad form, you were conning the public.

But you're quite right about 'Please Please Me'.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  4. RevUp64

RevUp64 Forum Resident

The first time I heard "Magical Mystery Tour," I couldn't believe that "Sgt Pepper" gets all the attention. After "Revolver," this is hands down their best album (second-best that would be, then). Many many years later I saw the film and wondered if that, perhaps, had dampened enthusiasm for the album rather dramatically because, boy howdy, is it awful.

buzzzx and JohnnyQuest like this.
  5. monkeywilson

monkeywilson New Member

It was a great E.P . It was never made as an album. In the US it was the E.P with just a load of already releasd tracks tacked onto it.

6. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

The first time I heard the LP I blamed bad acid.

7. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

What did you blame the next time you played it?

8. Twodawgzz

Twodawgzz But why do you ask such questions...

Big disappointment following Sergeant Pepper. But how could one reasonably expect otherwise?

9. love it very much.

junk likes this.
  10. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I was 5 when it came out, but it's a record I have a memory of. It was at a family function, and an older female relative was playing tracks off it and singing along with songs like "Penny Lane" and "Baby You're A Rich Man", with us kids.

Sometime later I recall lying in bed and playing the album in the dark as a child, and the ending of "Strawberry Fields Forever" used to give me the creeps, when the song "faded out and back in". Sounded like creepy crawly bugs scattering about!

John Porcellino and hi_watt like this.
  11. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I like it better than Sgt. Pepper too. Less cornball.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  12. pnreum

pnreum Forum Resident

First time I heard it, I loved it. It's my favorite Beatle LP.

13. Redhat220

Redhat220 Well-Known Member

Made me want to grow a 'stache and drop a tab..........

14. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

I thought it was terrific and I still do.

15. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Bad bubblegum.

16. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

I sure liked it a lot, and since I had heard most of the "big" songs by the time I heard the album, it's basically the more obscure tracks that clicked with me in a special way.

I remember that the opening of Flying sounded pretty damn cool on that first listen - it still remains one of my favorite moments on the album.

John Porcellino likes this.
  17. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

"Dude! I know most of these songs and they're awesome!"

Come to think of it, that was my reaction prior to the purchase of ANY Beatles LP's :cool:

bhazen likes this.
  18. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's the only Beatles LP I remember my father playing. He has always been more of a Stones guy but MMT was very special to him and received lots of play at home. :)

John Porcellino and mbrownp1 like this.
  19. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I wondered why Pepper was so damn popular when it didn't even measure up to this material IMO.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  20. 905

905 Senior Member

Had the cassette in the late '80s early '90s as a youngster, and right away one of my favorite albums of all time. I had no idea it was an EP in the UK, I simply thought it was the designed follow up album to Pepper, and I liked MMT better.

Fool on the Hill came on an AM oldies station while I was driving a few years ago, got chill bumps even though I've heard it many times on cassette and CD, but now after that really appreciate it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    JohnnyQuest likes this.
  21. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I loved it. I was in psychedelic heaven. Adults was so grey and dull and boring, and there I was, in the late 70s, 9-10-11 years old and discovering the magical world of The Beatles in the 60s. I've been a Beatles and music freak ever since. :crazy:

22. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

From start to finish probably my favorite Beatles LP. You have the Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields single (maybe their absolute high water mark), plus I Am the Walrus. The other tracks are so groovy, and they sound like a great psych pop band just jamming, low key and fun. I love Flying and Rich Man precisely because they are low stakes Beatles tracks that just sound like a great band having fun.

JohnnyQuest and Beet like this.
  23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I loved it! Some of their best songs. The movie is also great.

24. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

I heard it when I was 10 when it was bought in London by a mate's big sister and brought back to Oz. It was the original 2 45's with no added tracks (Baby You're A Rich Man etc).
    I was mesmerised. Hadn't even heard Pepper at that stage.
    Favourite track? Blue Jay Way.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  25. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

I vividly remember the movie showing over Xmas '67 in the U.K.
    My Stepdad hated it , my mum loved the slow songs , while me and my brother thought 'Walrus' was amazing [I still do]
    The coach[bus] trip scenario was familiar to us lower working class peeps , if you had a few bob[ rich] you would have wondered what the hell was going on.
    The Bonzos were an added bonus .
    If we were to tell the truth ,Magical Mystery Tour is a complete load of bollox that has somehow been elevated to high art , but hell, I love it if only because
    my stepdad hated it!

zobalob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.