Magnum P.I. reboot in the works

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

This trend is even more confounding than the inevitable poorly-considered re-hash movies Universal studios usually vomits-up onto cineplex screens early in the Summer Box Office season - you know, the ones that end up selling more collector cups at Taco Bell than actual theater seats?

And, they all suffer from the same problem: the audience that the original property was a hit with back in tha day...isn't even the target audience for the re-make! Yet somehow every year some idiot studio exec blows his cred (and Daddy's money) making these boomer embarrassments...and somehow the focus group test never get back to the front office that "NObody WANTS to see the 21st Century update of 'My Mother The Car'!" (and nor do they care that Jay Leno is the star...AND he's willing to promote it on Jimmy Fallon...)

eric777 likes this.
  2. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Forum Resident

I passed on the old one. Loved his work on "The Rockford Files" and the Jesse Stone movies, though.

3. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Well-Known Member

Wheres the Moustache!

the pope ondine and GodShifter like this.
  4. soundboy

soundboy Forum Resident

First trailer just dropped.....

The Ferrari is there, the dobermans are there, TC's helicopter is there, the Detroit Tigers cap is there, Five-O was mentioned, etc.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  5. soundboy

soundboy Forum Resident

Tom Selleck has now made more episodes of his current CBS series "Blue Bloods" than "Magnum P.I."

6. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

I remember years ago they failed miserably with a Kojak reboot with Ving Rhames (sorry Theo Kojak was Greek, not African American), a good actor (especially in Pulp Fiction), but there is only one Kojak in my book, the late Telly Savalas.
    Don't care to see the upcoming Kojak film with Vin Diesel either.

7. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Forum Resident

I was waiting for the classic theme and was glad to hear it return. As for the show, who knows? I might give it a shot.

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Forum Resident

Just watched a trailer and although I would have preferred them to have come up with something original, perhaps based on Magnum's daughter at least they are copying a great series so I'll give it a go, even though it's unlikely to reach the heights of the original it could still be fun in it's own right, although somebody really seems to hate Ferraris.

9. GodShifter

GodShifter Son of the Morning Star®

No moustache no Magnum

10. AKA

AKA Cromulent Member

[​IMG]

ssmith3046 likes this.
  11. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

lets be honest, all these remakes/reboots suck. I am amazed they haven't tried to reboot the rockford files.....Id love to see how they pull off the answering machine opening...(texts?)

ssmith3046 and GodShifter like this.
  12. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

I actually like the new 5-0 reboot.

13. soundboy

soundboy Forum Resident

They did try to reboot "The Rockford Files" as a TV series....twice! Never went beyond the pilot. And there was even a feature version of the show being considered, with Vince Vaughn as Rockford....

Chuck Hogan On The Case For Vince Vaughn And ‘The Rockford Files’

There was a rumored "Magnum P.I." feature in the works at Universal, with Matthew McConaughey taking over the title role. It was mentioned within this forum.