Man of Steel (2013)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ridernyc, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

The story is going to have be really great for me to make it past all the orange/teal and lens flares. I stopped the trailer after I counted the third lens flare.

I went from not minding this style (I love Star Trek) to now I find it totally distracting.

2. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Ah yes. Superman all "Dark-Nighted" up.

I am getting pretty tired of seeing this color scheme in movies though: the dark blues and grays...all extremely cold and very uninviting.

Jrr and Drifter like this.
  3. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

That is the only way you are going to sell a man in a red cape and matching booties to a post 9-11 consumer.

4. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I suppose.

But to anyone who's hung up on those issues can't really be fans of this character if they allow that to ruin the experience of this fantasy, right? It seems counterproductive to ground a movie about a guy who can fly to our level of reality.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  5. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

Superman is an interesting character when compared to other mythological traditions from history and the world. Compared to other superhero's I find him rather boring on his own. But a good retelling of this classic story could compel me to watch it.

Dave, Metralla and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
  6. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Snyder's films always look fantastic, however they sometimes lack depth and soul. I'm hoping he's able to infuse the noble spirit and adventure into the character that Superman had back in the late 30s-early 40s.

Metralla likes this.
  7. marke

marke Forum Resident

I hope they go in a different direction to the last Superman. I wasn't a fan of Lois having Superman's son but being with another man. Also Smallville showed that Clark/Superman can be an interesting character when done right.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Trailer looks amazing. I hope it is as good as Batman Begins. Hopefully the sequels will be better than that movie got.

9. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Singer completely wasted all the "Donner" elements. The Lois/son story line brought the Donner films straight into the "reality TV" era that we're in today. It sort of put me off and was a huge distraction as I watched the movie. The tone and look of what he did in "Superman Returns" was right on target for me. Unfortunately, the story was bleh.

I gotta be honest and say that I'm going to miss the wonderful John Williams score. I have to be prepared with whatever brooding, dark theme they'll come up for this new one but the Williams score will be sorely missed by this fan.

10. malcolm reynolds

I agree about the score. The title track to Superman: The Movie is my favorite music from film.

Classicolin and MRamble like this.
  11. marke

marke Forum Resident

That is such an iconic score. Fantastic. I also like the music playing when Superman and Lois are flying above Metropolis.

MRamble likes this.
  12. dhoffa85

Believe it or not, I would rather see a movie of The Greatest American Hero TV show.

13. malcolm reynolds

He would have to be all dark and brooding. Rules are rules.

14. dhoffa85

It could work!

15. Wonderful - yet another origin story.

ringosshed likes this.
  16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I agree he seems like the least promising superhero for drama, since his powers are almost godlike, yet Superman's now had two pretty good TV series. Is there another comic book hero with even one good series?

17. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I hope it has the Christopher Nolan helicoptor swoops over the nighttime city. Apparently these are needed every five minutes.

18. dhoffa85

What you didn't like the Hulk Tv series when you were a kid? How about Duckman then?

19. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'd rather watch a 'Smallville' movie.

Darryl

ringosshed likes this.
  20. I think he'll probably infuse it with something different considering that David S. Goyer and Chris Nolan worked on this.

Only in Chris Nolan movies. Or J.J. Abrams movies (oh, wait, that's lens flares, sorry).

21. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

And wearing his underpants on the outside, as if in an endless anxiety dream.*

Bit surprised at the cynicism and negativity in this thread. (Maybe I shouldn't be.) I kind of liked the trailer. I like Kevin Costner as his father -- at least I think it was him. I'll wait for the reviews of course, but if positive, I'll be thrilled.

*I can't take credit for the line. It's from James Parker's review of Larry Tye's "Superman" history.

22. marke

marke Forum Resident

Kevin Costner does play his father. I hope this film is good. I thought Snyder did a great job with Watchmen.

23. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

So YOU'RE the one who saw it!

24. marke

marke Forum Resident

Guilty as charged. :D

25. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

And then he burned any credibility he might have earned with the aptly named Sucker Punch. Awful movie--more like a music video meets an Xbox game.

I couldn't care less about another origin story here and I'm beginning to find these weighty, ponderous Chris Nolan treatments to be dull. Aren't superhero movies supposed to be kind of fun?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.