Manley Chinook on the way

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by psulioninks, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident Thread Starter

Happened across a used mint one (seems you never see these for sale on the used market) and pulled the trigger. It will be interesting to compare this to my Sutherland PH3D. I'm looking to get back into tubes on the analog front end and enjoy the ability to vary the capacitance for my phono cartridge.

I have some almost new Telefunken 7DJ8's that I pulled from another piece prior to selling it a couple years ago. I think they will be dropped-in right away in lieu of the stock 6922's than come with the unit.

Should be fun! :)

LeeS, rob303 and jlc76 like this.
  2. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

Great sounding phono stage. It compared very nicely to my Musical Fidelity kW phono. Just a matter of different flavors and system synergy.

3. contium

contium Forum Resident

Congrats! I love mine. From what I have read, Amperex 7308 are THE tube to run in the Chinook.

4. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

Couldn't be happier with my Chinook. The Amperex 7308 is the tube to use, IMHO.

5. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Until you try the NOS Telefunken E88CC ;-)

6. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

I have the Ph3D, so I'll be watching for your impressions when it arrives. Always been interested in the Manley. Looking forward to hear what you think.

7. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

Funny you should mention that because I have a set of those very same tubers and while they are incredibly quite, incredibly smooth on top and full on bottom, it doesn't have that midband bloom that the Amperex's lend to my system. Amperex's do something to guitars in particular that I just can not get enough of. So for now, I'm an Amperex guy. :)

And for the record, you can't go wrong with those Telefunken E88CCs. A very special tube.

rob303 likes this.
  8. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Just curious, have you ever tried mixing the Amperex and Tele's? Say, a set of in in the input and a set of the other in the output?

9. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Those are the tubes I run in my Chinook. They sound great. The Chinook is a great value, wonderful tube phono pre.

- Buck

LeeS likes this.
  10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Congrats! It's a really fine phono stage.

11. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

I have not tried that yet but I have thought of it. Perhaps I will try that sometime in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.