Mansun's 'Six' - Steven Wilson 5.1 DTS remix coming 2018!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tel Sutton, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tel Sutton

Tel Sutton New Member Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

Was in a discussion on FB yesterday when, suddenly, like the shopkeeper in Mr Benn, a certain Mr Draper popped up on my wall with the following comment.

[​IMG]

Thought you chaps might like to know asap, as I've seen many discussions over the last couple of years about the possibility of this happening.

Well, it is... a 5.1 surround mix of 'Six' by none other than Mr Wilson. Paul later confirmed there would be a 20th anniversary 2x vinyl box set thing too.

Enjoy. Discuss, etc.

2. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes!

I was one click way from buying a hefty-priced second-hand Six a couple of weeks ago, and still have it in my wantlist (along with Grey Lantern on LP, which I thought would have got a release this year), so I can rest easy knowing it'll be out next year.

An absolutely fabulous album, and it'll be great in 5.1

Tel Sutton likes this.
  3. Mike Riding

Mike Riding Forum Resident

Great news. An interesting choice for the surround treatment by Mr. Wilson. Can't wait to hear it.

Tel Sutton likes this.
  4. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Like the sound of a surround mix of Six but hope it's not lumped in with vinyl in a stupidly expensive box set.

Tel Sutton likes this.
  5. Ninecats

Ninecats Forum Resident

Wow, give me!! In fact give me all three of Mansuns records in 5.1, especially the debut!

Tel Sutton likes this.
  6. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Just saying ... I called it back in 2014 ....

Tel Sutton, fredblue and wavelength like this.
  7. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I was a big fan of their song Wide Open Space.

hazard and Tel Sutton like this.
  8. Dark Mavis

Dark Mavis Local Congressman

Watch it be of the American version. :p

Nevertheless, looks like I'm about to have 3 different copies of my second favorite album of all time. Decent.

9. Ninecats

Ninecats Forum Resident

Where does it say Steven Wilson, Tel?

10. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Just bumping to ask whether anyone has anything more on this. @Plan9?

11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Thanks for tagging me because I would have missed this thread.

But... I know nothing about this!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  12. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Thanks for responding to the tag, even with slightly discouraging news! I guess there's a big question mark hanging over this.

13. Tel Sutton

Well, Mr D didn't correct me when I later posted this on the Mansun FB page. Basically, I was in a conversation (on my wall) with friends about Mansun/Six generally (stemming from Radiohead playing Tel Aviv the previous evening) and casually mentioned that I hoped Mr W would one day do a 5.1 job on Six (as he's also just done the 5.1 for Spooky Action). Paul popped up completely out of the blue to write that, so he must want the word out because I'm friends/frenemies with a LOT of those lovely music industry types.

14. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

Damn. I had my money on the SW 5.1 version of Olympian by Gene before the Mansun album.

PH416156 likes this.
  15. Tel Sutton

Mr Wilson seems to have his hands a bit full right now. Personally, there are three Talk Talk lps he needs to get together with Phill Brown on imo... :winkgrin:

bleachershane likes this.
  16. Great album !!

17. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Steven Wilson has not been involved in the 5.1 of spooky action, though he does get a credit from Mr Draper.
    The surround mix of Spooky Action was by Paul PDub Wilson.
    Have to say I am enjoying the album and the surround mix

18. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Masterpiece!

meandafoe and jdjones like this.
  19. Krzych

Krzych The one who listens

From Mansun's website:

Kscope Acquires Mansun Catalogue, ‘One Ep’ Vinyl Edition Coming In December!

Former Mansun frontman Paul Draper’s new label Kscope has just announced that they’ve recently acquired the full Mansun catalogue. They’re busy working on exciting plans for re-issues over the next few years including unreleased music, remasters and 5.1 mixes.

To celebrate the 20th Anniversary of Attack of the Grey Lantern, Kscope are releasing a limited edition 180gm vinyl 12” of Mansun’s four track ‘ONE EP’ on 15th December, featuring the band’s first single for Parlophone ‘Egg Shaped Fred’. You can pre-order a copy here – Mansun - One EP (reissued on Kscope)

To coincide with the album’s 21st Anniversary in February 2018, Paul Draper recently announced that he would be playing two sets during the upcoming Feb/March 2018 tour. A first set taken from his debut solo album Spooky Action and a second playing AOTGL in its entirety. Tickets are on sale here – Tour Dates - Paul Draper

20. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Radiohead?

THAT would be a dream come true

I know that all their albums could sound MUCH better remixed in stereo and 5.1. 'Ok Computer' alone would be probably the best ever selling SW remix. Needless to say, there're TONS of material that could be included

:wave:

21. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Saw him at the Scala in London a few weeks back on his Spooky Action mini tour, was in fine form despite suffering from what seemed to be a cold/cough. Played a couple of Mansun tracks that night, I imagine the reissue of the debut will coincide with the tour, can’t wait!

22. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Hopefully they don't milk re-issuing the band's back catalogue - but with them already re-issuing the first EP straight, it looks like they might do everything?

Intrigued by the idea of a Six 5.1 because the mix is compressed to **** - literally every element of the mix is processed and compressed, to good affect I might add. Whilst I think it sounds amazing, from an "audiophile" point of view it isn't and I fear a SW mix will lose the magic that was in those original stereo mixes. A less compressed surround mix could very likely sound limp in comparison.

23. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I don't feel that SW is an 'audiophile' remixer. He wouldn't listen to an album and think how he could make it more neutral or natural-sounding ... he just wants it to sound like a more 'informative' version of itself. Even his own albums are the sort of thing you'd use to demo a system you were selling rather than buying.

24. AFCBRINGWOOD

AFCBRINGWOOD Forum Resident

Interesting release. I loved Mansun when they first started but I had a real love/hate relationship with this album. There's some great music on it for sure and every now and again I like to hear the odd track from it (in particular Special/Blown It, Legacy, etc). But there's also a lot of pretentious waffle on it (tracks that go on for far too long, that ridiculous Tom Baker monologue, etc). I'll give it a try for sure as I really like the XTC and Yes Blu-Ray discs and maybe I'll finally be able to fully appreciate it. Masterpiece might be stretching it a bit though...

25. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Paul confirmed today that the first three Mansun albums were all analogue affairs and the upcoming reissue of the EP is cut from the analogue tape.

Really looking forward to Attack of the Grey Lantern, that album is fantastic altho a little "loud" so here's hoping a Blu-ray version might include not just a new 5.1 mix but a flat transfer of the original stereo analogue master.

:)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Krzych, Hymie the Robot and fredblue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.