Manual declicking

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Beatlesfan03, Jun 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member Thread Starter

Ok, now it's time for stupid question of the day!

I searched the archives but could not find anything on this. The question is simple, how does one manually declick a file in a wave editor?

2. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

Assuming you are using Cool Edit Pro...

- Zoom in until you have about half a second of audio onscreen.
    - Switch to spectral view, 128 bands (it helps to assign a key to toggle waveform/spectral)
    - Highlight any clicks to remove. Avoid attack transients, brass/synth pulse waves, etc.
    - Open up the declicking window (again, it helps to have this assigned to a key). Select which declicking "strength" to use. I have about 3 presets that I toggle back and forth as needed. Remove clicks...
    - Scroll one page ahead and repeat (yet again, assign a key for this -- NOTE: CEP 2.1 has a minor but annoying bug that gets in the way of this, so I still use CE 2000 with the plug-in). F3 is by default the key to repeat the last edit.
    - If a click is stubborn and won't go away, highlight just the click and use the "fill single click" function.

Repeat the above steps hundreds of times until you've reached the end of the file.

Other techniques can also come in handy, such as the Younglove technique (better at reducing light crackle but dulls attack transients) and repositioning individual samples... but these are better saved for when you have a firm grasp on the program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.