Marantz HD-CD1 CD Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Uri Cohen, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uri Cohen

Uri Cohen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Note: I am posting this for 1.) Anyone doing Google Search on this product, 2.) For the very few people who as of 2017 is still looking for a small factor CD player.

[​IMG]
    The CD Tray is not silver, that's the flash from my camera.

This is 2017, isn't? So why someone are still looking for a CD Player in this day of age? More and more people are using Hard Drives and laptops for their Digital music needs. I mean, playing from a Computer to a DAC does give you plenty of flexibility on files.

Me personally, I prefer spinning CDs due to I can't focus on albums when listening to a hard drive based source. I have my Thinkpad hooked via USB to my DAC (Currently an older Audio-GD DAC/Headphone Amp unit but tomorrow I'm replacing with the Schiit Bifrost Multibit and Schiit Asgard 2 Headphone Amp). Also, getting away from my computer and smartphone and focus on the music is a great thing. Since I move around a lot, I don't want to deal with a giant CD spinner to carry around.

Currently I have 500 CDs, and only two Hybrid SACD/CD albums (Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio Midnight Sugar and Misty). You can say that I have zero interest in SACDs. Never was the biggest fan of the format due to how restrictive the format is (can only play on SACD players unit, and discs to me are pricey). Due to this, I was just looking for a not too costly CD Player.

First I was debating New and Used units, then I remember my previous CD players that I purchased Used had developed problems down the road shortly after getting them. This time I wanted something new.

I just wanted a CD player for transport duty only, since I prefer to roll the sound with external DACs and Headphone Amps. I was also hoping for a nice looking unit (to my eyes) that isn't taking up too much space.
    It came down to the Rega Apollo-R and the Marantz HD-CD1. I went with the $600 HD-CD1 new over the close to $1100 on the Apollo-R Of course regarding Marantz, you also can consider the CD5005 and the CD6006 for their cheaper players. Personally I didn't like the looks of both players (they give me the Black Plastic Crap feeling and they included extra controls that I didn't care about, like Tone and USB for iPod, ew). It also helps that with Marantz you get a three year warranty (or if ordered with any American Express Credit/Charge Card, you get a free year of Warranty thru Amex's Warranty Extension program).

When receiving the unit over a month ago, I was taken back of how small the unit is, yet how heavy it was.
    Dimensions (W x D x H) in inches 12 x 12.3 x 4.3, yet the unit weighs 12 lbs. I found the follow pic of the internals of the unit below:

[​IMG]

The CD transport looks like a Phillips Transport, but I could be wrong. That Transport is also in some of the other CD players I'm seeing floating around (Emotiva and this one CD player that Stereophile reviewed a while back, bad memory).

Good news is that the unit doesn't appear to be in a empty box, unit appears to be well-build on the inside and out. To hit the $600 price goal, Marantz build this Spinner in Vietnam.

The HD-CD1 is part of the MusicLink series that Marantz is doing. They have paired components with the HD-CD1 (HD-AMP1 and HD-DAC1), and were meant to stack each of those units on top of them. If you are looking for small factor units, the MusicLink series fit the bill. Also, every single information from Marantz regarding the HD-CD1 stated that this unit will pair well with the HD-AMP1 since it has a built-in ESS Sabre DAC and make your HD-CD1 unit a transport. This is good because the unit performs quite well as a CD Transport so far. It reads all of my discs with no issues (including CD-Rs), and the Toslink/Coax Digital outs work just as they should. Since the unit was also made for Transport duty, get any DAC that you would like and chook it up to the unit. The built-in DAC ( CS4398) and analog outs are quite good as well, but if the Marantz In-House sound is "well balanced," then I'm not the biggest fan of the sound coming internal of the unit. When running the player to an Audio-GD NFB-29.28 DAC/Amp by HD-CD1 analog outs, the sound to me wasn't engaging enough to my ears. It is like the music is there but it isn't keeping my attention for too long. Then again, I did had issues with the NFB-29.28 and thus it is middle of being returned to Audio-GD. Once I get the new Schiit Asgard 2 I can fully give my final thoughts to the analog outs of the unit. If you were curious, my headphones are the Grado GH1 and GH2.

Speaking of headphones, the only extra part of the unit is the headphone jack. The player gives you three gain options (low, medium, and high). Since I only own the 32 ohm Grado headphones, the internal headphone jack drives them fine. I must say that I am surprised on how good the internal headphone jacks were driving my Grados. However, since the jacks are using Op-Amps, it can be harsh to my ears at times. Better just use an external headphone amp. To me, having an unit that does just about one thing (CD Player) without the USB jack or extra features is good for someone like me.

Also, the looks of the unit is quite nice. US only gets a Black/Wood finish (the side panels are using fake wood, however, it is quite nice), while other countries can choose between Black or Champagne Gold/Wood. My picture of the unit doesn't do it quite justice.

I am going to make another post later in the week with my thoughts more together (since I'm about to go to bed, but I wanted to get this off my chest), but so far I think this unit will fit a certain niche in this market (Mid-Fi, looking for something small). I think this unit will be popular in the Asian countries (where the unit is getting more press due to Asian audiophiles at times do like smaller and compact units, and Marantz is very popular in the Asian countries).

So, this unit is $600. That's $100 more than Marantz CD6006 and $200 more than the CD5005. And it appears both of those CD spinners offer a few extra features over the HD-CD1. Then again, the HD-CD1 is nicely built, good to look, does the CD Player/Transport job quite well for the price (hey, you may like the sound from the unit, if you don't, just DAC it), and small enough where you can fit it just about anywhere. Just make sure it doesn't fall on your feet, because it will hurt.

Note: As stated before, I will make a second post when I am more awake and when I have final opinions on certain things.

2. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Nice review, thanks.

If it played SACD's I'd have bought it and the AMP1 for a bedroom rig.

soundboy likes this.
  3. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

The dimensions and weight of this Marantz are almost identical to my $700 TEAC PD-H600 CD player. I would love to do a comparison of the sound quality of these two players!

4. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I'm interested in this unit so thanks for the review. I see Rega announced the new Apollo at a significantly lower price - @ $800 US (598 Pounds). Interested to hear reviews/impressions of it before pulling the trigger.

5. Uri Cohen

I haven't see the $800 Apollo-R price point yet. I'm still showing places selling the unit new at $1095.

The big thing with the Rega Apollo-R is that the DAC in the unit is a WM8742. Any of the legacy Wolfson chips have a warm sound that does have high roll-out but nice mid-range. Out of all the Wolfson DACs I heard in my time, I haven't heard one that sounded bad. If you like the sound to be on the warm end, then I would consider the Rega. If you always want to improve the sound in the future, then the unit does have digital outputs.

So I am back to finish up the rest of my review. I did some more testing of the analog outs of the HD-CD1 to my Schiit Asgard 2 Headphone amp. Headphones where the Grado GH2 with G-Pads. RCA Interconnects was the DH Labs White Lightning.

As stated in my first post, I thought the analog outs of the HD-CD1 was not in my test. The sound is well balanced, but nothing special. After more testing with the analog outs and trying out different CDs in my collection, the conclusion is almost the same. The HD-CD1 analog outs is a balanced sound, nothing in the music range sticks out as being annoying or have any preference. At times it might be too apologetic. If you want the sound to be closer to you, then the sound of the HD-CD1 will just walk away from you and play from the other side of the street. The analog outs to me is nothing special. It is like the music just playing but doesn't grab your attention. It isn't a warm sound, but neutral. At times, it can be boring to listen to.

However, all of that changes in a blink of an eye when you use the Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC via coax. When using the HD-CD1 as a CD Trasnport and feeding the data to the DAC, the sound the setup creates good levels of advancement to the sound. To me the Biforst Multibit is a neutral DAC, but the music grabs your attention. You can also pick out parts of the music and able to follow it more easily. Music is more revolving, etc. Long story short: Biforst Multibit just creams the analog outs of the HD-CD1. If you do own or are planning to get a Bifrost Multibit, PLEASE LEAVE THE UNIT ON ALL THE TIME, I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH!

Originally I purchased the HD-CD1 just for a CD Transport (plus Three Year Marantz warranty + 1 extra year warranty due to using my Amex credit card), and so far I am not disappointed one bit. A small,nicely built and retro styling CD player the HD-CD1. While I wasn't the fan of the analog outs of the unit, I know there are people who prefer that type of sound. If you do, then the HD-CD1 might be a good ticket for you. For a lot of people, using an external DAC is required to get the best out of this unit. Marantz even advertise on their site regarding using the HD-CD1 as a CD transport to their HD-AMP1 (built in DAC) or their HD-DAC1 units (which means even they don't think the sound is the best internally).

For $600, Marantz does a lot of things right with the HD-CD1. With using it as a CD Transport, it is very very good for its price. With the era of digital hard drives to store your music and computer playback, I am happy there are still companies making good and affordable CD Players.

wgb113 likes this.
  6. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I think you're mistaking a bit of marketing for more than it is. Both the HD-CD1 and the HD-DAC1 use the same Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC chip while the HD-AMP1 uses the Sabre ES90110K2M DAC chip. I didn't dig real deep, so I can't say for sure why the HD-AMP1 uses a different chip, maybe just to offer a different flavor and it is definitely a different flavor, one I'm not fond of.

Anyway, it appears Marantz thinks the Cirrus DAC chip sounds just fine.......

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  7. Uri Cohen

I'm back with a three months follow up since owning the unit:

The HD-CD1 is very forgiven with regards to poor-condition discs. I played various marked up discs that is prone to skipping at times, and the HD-CD1 plays them with no issues. For the few times I had my discs skipped on the HD-CD1, it was just the disc itself was slightly dirty. A simple clean and it was good to go.

I am still not a fan of the HD-CD1 analog outs. As I stated before it is a little too "apologetic" for my taste. Balanced sound but nothing amazing, at least to me. It is $600 amazing in my opinion, but not like out of this world performance. The HD-CD1 has been excellent as a CD Transport to my Schiit Biforst Multibit DAC via coax.

I still stand by that this is a very well built small factor CD Player (it is close to 13 lbs in weight). The fake wood gain on the sides without screws (you will only see screws are in the back) and the really nice finish on the front is just icing to the take for me. The standard three year warranty from Marantz on this is even better.

If you are looking for an affordable CD Player/Transport, I would give this unit a shot. The cheaper Marantz players are not bad with more features, but if you want to pay just a little more for the size and the focus is just a CD Player/Transport (the only extra on unit is the headphone jack), then would give HD-CD1 a shot. If the focus is a CD Transport, I would consider this heavily!

HiOnFi, PhantomStranger and George P like this.
  8. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

9. High Fidelity

For less money you can buy Sony X800 which plays SACDs , also has no analogue outs I wonder used as a transport how it compares with the Marantz HD-CD1. for CDs. I see you have the well recorded ,three blind mice label Midnight Sugar, I have the LP also the same trio playing Girl Talk Yama & Jiro's Wave on CD which is even better. A possible drawback is that the X800 has no display and must be connected to a TV

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  10. Uri Cohen

I refuse to have a TV in my setup. To be honest, I am not a fan of television. I only purchased a cheap TV just for the Girlfriend to watch her HBO shows and stuff. My main area is well the music station.

Midnight Sugar on this Hybird CD/SACD isn't too bad. The music is nice but maybe the mastering to this disc wasn't too crazy in my opinion. I will only get a true SACD player if I have any reason to get more SACDs. I'm not too impressed with the format (SACD) from the start.

11. High Fidelity

I prefer mch SACDs to most CDs . The mastering on Girl Talk is superior to Midnight Sugar with nicer music. I find a good TV is important for me I like watching the BBC Proms etc. I have zero interest in computer music & streaming.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  12. Nkrlz

Nkrlz New Member

I'm planing to buy this player, but i'm short on cash so i couldn't really buy an amp (already have a pair of half decent speakers). What's your opinion on driving speakers directly out of this thing (or Sennhesier HD 650s)?

13. Uri Cohen

It drives my low-Independence Grados just fine. It might have an issue driving your 300 ohm HD 650 thou... Remember, the HD-CD1 is a CD Player only. If you are going to use speakers, you will still need an amp to drive your speakers. The internal amp of the HD-CD1 is only for headphones. Hope this helps.

caupina likes this.
  14. Uri Cohen

Interesting developments....

After purchasing the player in May, I always stated that I wasn't the biggest fan of the analog outs of the HD-CD1. This week I did some testing again on the analog outs of the HD-CD1, and compared it to the Schiit Biforst Multibit DAC via coax from the HD-CD1.

My headphone amp, the Woo Audio WA6-SE, supports two RCA inputs in the unit. At first I tried switching the inputs at random to see if I would notice any difference between each other. The answer is a shocking no. I even swap my cables around between the two units, and once again no difference. Then I removed only one of the RCA inputs and only try using the RCA outs of the HD-CD1 and the Biforst Multibit separately. Honest to goodness I can't detect any difference between the two!

Right now I'm doing most testing on this. Perhaps the HD-CD1 analog outs aren't so bad after all.... If it is really good for my needs I might as well save some money for a Marantz SA-14S1 unit and just use that into my Woo Audio Amp. Could get me to buy some SACDs for once.....

But still, I need to do more testing!

15. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

This is my experience with A/B testing DACs of similar price points more often then not. When I hear differences is generally when I compare a more budget oriented, wall-wart DAC like a Schiit Modi with a more robust offering.

16. Uri Cohen

Agreed.

New update: The HD-CD1 analog outs are actually quite nice, considering if you leave the unit on for days at a time. The reason why I thought in the past that the analog outs of the unit was so-so, because I don't leave it on all the time. Once I started to do that, then the analog outs quality sounds the same to me as the Schitt Biforst Multibit. That's pretty scary considering the Biforst MB cost $600 and so does the HD-CD1. After further testing between the two, swapping out analog/digital cables, and changed some tubes on my Woo Audio WA6-SE, I don't find a difference between using the HD-CD1 analog outs and the Schiit. The only time I found a difference between the DACs is if I used the Mobi 2 Uber DAC and compared it to the HD-CD1. No contest, the HD-CD1 analog outs are a lot better than the Mobi 2 Uber DAC.

So now the Schiit has been put away in my closet. Decisions will have to be made on what I will do next: Wait for the MB upgrade that are in rumor mill for 2018, sell the Biforst MB and get Schiit Gungnir (which on paper is better than the Biforst, but to my ears it might be a small difference better to the point it isn't worth the cost), or save money down the road and upgrade the CD deck with a higher end Marantz unit (the SA-14S1 is the one I was looking at), and get a better transport, analog outs, and able to play SACDs for once. Woo.....

Before I do that, my next purchase will be the the Ether Flow headphones from Mr.Speakers. I wanted another headphone that isn't a Grado and not heavy.

Rolltide likes this.
  17. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Apologies for bumping this somewhat old thread, but I am very preliminarily considering setting up a bedroom headphone system, and the form-factor of this player really appeals to me for that. I could use it with my Schiit Asgard 2 and either Sennheiser HD650 or Beyerdynamic DT990.

Can you give me an update on your more recent thoughts, @Uri Cohen, or anyone else?

18. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Does HD-CD1 support (de-emphasize) playback of cd’s with pre-emphasis which is a question asked of Marantz recently?

Marantz stated they still fully support the playback of cd’s with pre-emphasis across the range of players.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    bruce2 likes this.
  19. Uri Cohen

Still works great. Nowadays I use it as a Transport only where it feeds my Ayre Codex DAC. Perfect for that situation.

When using the internal DAC of the HD-CD1, after trying out my pre-emp CDs from the early 80s it sounds just fine (compared to ripping them on a computer). I can confirm pre-emp CDs will work just fine. However, I would be careful when using external DACs that may not pre-emp a CD correctly.

Mbe and ermylaw like this.
  20. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I think I’d roll it without a DAC since I’m guessing it would best my Schiit Modi 2 Uber...

I mostly listen to older, first press CDs. So it sounds like a good option for those, sans DAC. (I confess I don’t know what this pre-emphasis stuff is, though).

21. Uri Cohen

The Modi 2 Uber will provide a more lower end response than the built-in DAC of the HD-CD1. The HD-CD1 does provide a more neutral presentation of the overall sound. I own the Modi 2 Uber myself, and I don't think it is better/worse than the HD-CD1. It's just different.

Now, if you are using the higher end Schiit DACs, then yes, they will perform better than than build in DAC of the HD-CD1.

ermylaw likes this.
  22. HiOnFi

HiOnFi New Member

Thanks for this thorough follow up. First, I did not realize it was a smaller unit, but that's ok.

I hope the transport is as good as you say, as I would only use the player as a back up via either toslink or coax

23. HiOnFi

HiOnFi New Member

It occurred to me that the reason why the internal dac left you 'meh' is likely due to not having dif balanced outs, which the Emotiva SRC 3 has

Oh, FYI, my dac is in my Audio Alchemy Dac/Pre

24. bernardsc

bernardsc New Member

great comments, my 1st-gen spectral cdp (both a transport & DAC) finally went & decided on a less expensive replacement. purchased Marantz's HD-CD1 to use as BOTH a transport & DAC. Uri's reviews seem to imply this is a good transport but suggests an external DAC. so, i'm disappointed i did not find this thread before purchasing, now having 2nd thoughts. the other consideration was Rotel's CD14, same price point, also a transport/DAC. tried to find reviews comparing the 2, but there are none. appreciate any comments as to those here who prefer 1 over the other, as well as any comments re: the HD-CD1's DAC. personally i prefer an all-n-1 unit. on the other hand, most recommendations these days suggest buying a streamer & separate DAC; it does appear, regarding CD players in general, audio people tell me nothing new in CDP's transports, but strides in DACs?? i guess i'm old school & have ~300CDs.

25. bernardsc

bernardsc New Member

addendum to my above post re: my Marantz HD-CD1 purchase: i have the older B&W Matrix 803 speakers, and given the relationship between the B&W Group with Rotel, wonder IF whether the Rotel CD14 might have been the better fit, or if that makes any difference? appreciate any comments. i am within the return dates, so able to exchange the Marantz for the Rotel CD14. thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.