"Marco Polo", new Netflix original series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lucidae, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD Thread Starter

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

This looks like Netflix's answer to Game Of Thrones.

3. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Looks good to me. Seems like they spent a lot of money on it.

4. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

And Netflix RAISED THEIR PRICES. So I get to pay for something I will never watch. Same with some dumb horse cartoon thing. Gee, if they didn't spend millions on producing in-house TV shows, maybe they wouldn't HAVE to raise their prices. I wish they would stop trying to be a "channel" and just be Netflix. :(

TEA FOR ONE, skydropco and Gumboo like this.
  5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Perhaps the money they're having to pay to extorting ISPs to not throttle their streaming traffic might have something to do with it. Long live net neutrality.

Alfie Noakes and marblesmike like this.
  6. Lucidae

Personally I'm pretty excited for this show, I'm a total history nut and the subject matter is ripe for the big or small screen.
    It's always great to see a TV series with big production values, like the mini-series of past decades.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  7. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Looks like a winner.

8. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I'm in. I love period pieces from an earlier time, when they are well done. I was a history major in college; guess I'm a history nut as well.

Karnak likes this.
  9. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

Has your monthly charge increased? I thought they raised new subscriber prices from $7.99 to $8.99 per month, but guaranteed they wouldn't raise the current subscriber rate for two years.

AndrewS likes this.
  10. Lucidae

Ok so the show has premiered. Did anyone watch it, and if so what were your impressions?

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I didn't watch as it seems like it's just cashing in on the Game Of Thrones phenomenon. I guess I'll wait for the word of mouth and if it's overwhelmingly positive, I might give it a go, though the subject matter doesn't have a great deal of appeal to me.

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Not looking good according to Vulture:

The dialogue on Marco Polo is about 40 percent actual words and 60 percent grunts, heaves, groans, and moans. Unfortunately, once you actually hear the lines, it's hard not to root for more uuuurggghhhs. Netflix's new period drama wants so badly to be like Game of Thrones that it copies a lot of that show's battle aesthetics and visual panache without seeming to notice the most important part: Game of Thrones is trying to say something. And Marco Polo is literally just saying "urgh."

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh good, then the pilot will be full of whoring, anal rapes and debauchery. Go cable!

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's seems to be a lot more frequent and gratuitous than GOT.

Here's another damning review by The Hollywood Reporter:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/marco-polo-tv-review-756054

A middling mess, complete with random accents, slow story and kung fu.

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I just watched the trailer. It failed to boggle my scrotum.

Solaris likes this.
  16. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

You know, you could choose NOT to subscribe for Netflix. God forbid they want to make some money and try to increase their profile.

AndrewS likes this.
  17. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I take it you don't like GoT?

18. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

They made it clear that it was only increasing for new customers, so I don't get his comment either.

As for their in-house programming, I've really enjoyed Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, and Trailer Park Boys (thought not original, they are producing it now), so I'm all for it!

marblesmike likes this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I might actually like it. But I don't have HBO. It must be pretty good or it wouldn't have so many fans. A friend brought me in a copy of the first three episodes on a disc and I was like "whoa!" Barbarian on Teen action! It was pretty saucy! I'm a little repressed when it comes to cable shows, sex kinda turns me off when it gets thrown in your face right off the bat. It's kinda like saying -- "Ohhh, look what we're gonna be showing you! Step right up, gents. Get yer tickets! Hottest show on the midway!" There is that lousy Netflix horror series "Hemlock Grove." I was interested to see what it was about. I believe in the first two minutes someone was naked and someone was catching a BJ. I was like, "Oh, God. Let's aim high here, guys."

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I can assure you that there is so much, much more to Thrones than T&A. Yes, there are such scenes, but they are not the point or the focus of the series. It's much more about the overarching story, the drama, the characters and the excellent dialog and acting. Everything Polo isn't (it would appear, going by the reviews).

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Good. Can't wait for the series to hit Netflix.

22. mhw58

mhw58 Forum Resident

I'm watching it and enjoying it. Reviews are mixed but many are positive. I like to watch things and make up my own mind. I'm not sure how historically accurate it is but the history plotlines are very interesting to me.

Larry Mc likes this.
  23. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

It's an HBO series so it will go to Amazon.

24. mhw58

mhw58 Forum Resident

Actually it is a Netflix original series and is streaming on Netflix now.

25. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

For Marco Polo, that is correct, but I think he was talking about Game of Thrones. That was what my comment was directed towards. If not, sorry about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.