Mariah Carey's first studio album in 4-years, "Caution", out on November 16, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

First official single, "With You", is not bad. Mariah sounds subdued and soulful and is not screeching.

MDNA4ever and bob60 like this.
  2. pghmusiclover

Another new song, "The Distance", features an obligatory rap by Ty Dolla $ign, but it's relatively brief and not overpowering. Again, Mariah sounds in fine voice without overdoing the vocal acrobatics. This is the third release from the 10-track album in advance of the album!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  3. pghmusiclover

This was the first release ("GTFO") in September from the new album. Not really considered a single, yet a full fledged video was done!

willy likes this.
  4. pghmusiclover

[​IMG]

Mariah Carey Announces 'Caution' World Tour. She's playing a nice venue here in Pittsburgh -- might have to consider it closer to the show (even though she seems sort of lousy live from what I’ve seen on TV).

Mariah Carey Announces 'Caution' World Tour

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  5. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

'Caution'- Lipsynching going on!:)

6. pghmusiclover

:laughup:

7. pghmusiclover

Tracklisting for the new album. Happy to see Blood Orange involved, though having "features" on 3 out of 10 tracks seems a bit much. Seeing there are only 10 songs, I'm sure a "deluxe" or "expanded" (digital) edition will be released at some point in the near future...

01. GTFO
    02. With You
    03. Caution
    04. A No No
    05. The Distance ft. Ty Dolla $ign
    06. Giving Me Life ft. Slick Rick & Blood Orange
    07. One Mo' Gen
    08. 8th Grade
    09. Stay Long Love You ft. Gunna
    10. Portrait

Here's another new song:

8. pc-Ray

pc-Ray Forum Resident

What's the name of the album?

9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Caution is the album title

10. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

I was gonna say "well at least this time she warned us", but I didn't want to threadcrap, and I'm a Mariah fan, just not of all this guest rapper garbage.

MDNA4ever and Humbuster like this.
  11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Every pop star these days has guest rappers.

MDNA4ever and DrBeatle like this.
  12. pc-Ray

pc-Ray Forum Resident

Thank-you. I was going to say "woosh", but my comment deserved that reply.

MDNA4ever likes this.
  13. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

Yeah, but one of the rappers is Slick Rick, a legend from the '80s.

Slick Rick, in his day, was pretty fantastic even if you didn't much like rap. He was musical ("A Teenage Love;" "Hey Young World") and a great storyteller whose tales had morals, in the best sense of that word. "Hey Young World" is one of the best songs of the '80s IMO. I bought his debut LP, The Great Adventures Of Slick Rick on vinyl in '88 and still have it.

Unfortunately, Slick Rick was also convicted for attempted murder after he fired a gun at his former bodyguard, who had been threatening him. But he was pardoned ten years ago by New York Governor David Paterson.

mcchocchoc likes this.
  14. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

I'm hoping for a good album,gonna skip the tour. I was lucky to have a great seat and saw her open for Lionel Richie. I would prefer a hits tour,I know a lot of people want artists to do new music but with her catalogue a lot is gonna be squeezed out for the new stuff. Plus I just bought Toni Braxton & KISS tix in the past week which set me back a bit.

15. arqmeister

arqmeister New Member

Hi, i'm new here.
    I'm a blind guy who loves vinyl and well, Mariah Carey. I think this album will be solid, preordered the LP. Love the songs released so far.

MDNA4ever and Marble Index like this.
  16. pghmusiclover

This is really a fantastic new album. I love that it's only 10 tracks and roughly 39 minutes -- definitely an improvement over the last few bloated projects she released.

Positive review from Entertainment Weekly:

Mariah Carey is pleasingly defiant on 'Caution': EW review

I love this song featuring Blood Orange:

Marble Index likes this.
  17. pghmusiclover

18. pghmusiclover

19. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Doesn't she need two more number one hits to pass The Beatles for most?

20. pghmusiclover

21. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

New album is good. Very good. No skips, as the kids say. Mariah uses her voice extremely well on this record. Terms like reserved and nuanced come to mind and it suits her. This is the album that reminds you what a good R&B singer Mariah is. I read an article where she said she was just going to focus on creating the best singles she could and if/when she had enough for an album, she would take it from there. If that is indeed what she did, she should stick with that method because it really works for her. Even the requisite ballad isn't bad. Go Mariah in 2018!

22. pghmusiclover

I agree! I do love that this is 10 tracks, instead of 18 or more with skits and interludes, etc. Even the guest appearances are not overpowering. I'll take another 10-track album in a year or so if it's as good as this one!

In a way the industry seems to be going back to the 60's when artists released new albums every year (and sometimes two in a year). Now of course they are called EPs, but they are probably the same length as the short albums for the 60's!

I really would love to see her work with Dev Hynes (aka, Blood Orange) on a full project -- he really has MC channel her inner Minnie Riperton on "Giving Me Life".

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Marble Index and stonesfcr like this.
  23. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

In America?

24. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

+1, great track, Mariah's voice fits like a glove Blood Orange's style

pghmusiclover likes this.
  25. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Oh and question from the old fart - I can suss what 'One Mo Gen' is about, but what's a Gen? :magoo:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.