Marillion All One Tonight

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norco74, Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good… Thread Starter

2017 RAH concert just been released through Racket. Any thoughts on this one?

2. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

Yeah, it's great.

First half is the FEAR album live.
    Second half is the band augmented by a string quartet, flute and tuba (for the first time ever).

I've got the BluRay and CD and they're both really good.

mikedifr0923 and Norco74 like this.
  3. Norco74

Already ordered, patiently waiting...

I assume that H provides a lot of drama to the FEAR part.

Is the live version bringing more clarity or sense to the whole FEAR concept? It is usually my experience with Marillion, the visual experience really add more to the stories.

4. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know it had already been released. I am going to order it now. Saw the show in October, I was really impressed. First time I've seen them, by the way.

Thoughtships likes this.
  5. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

The audio and visuals are really nice on the blu-ray. It's nice to see Marillion performing in a "proper" venue. Too bad they can't draw those size crowds on a nightly basis.

danielbravo likes this.
  6. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

What do you define as a 'proper' venue?

I saw them last week at the Brighton Dome (capacity 2,200) which is a lovely venue, especially acoustically and it was sold out a few weeks beforehand.

7. craig leonard

craig leonard Forum Resident

Been a fan since 1985. Own most (if not all) of their video releases. This release will be my "go to" Blu Ray when I want to convince non-believers. Fantastic performance of the FEAR album and the addition of Classical musicians to the second set gave me continuous goosebumps. Their performance of "The Leavers" might be my favorite on-film Marillion moment of all time.

They put some money into the production, and the documentary and screen media are a nice bonus.

8. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

I was at that show. I didn’t really think it was that great, but I seem to be in a minority of 1.

Saw them in Liverpool last week - that was much much better...

9. Thoughtships

I saw them in Bristol last week and they were phenomenal.

danielbravo likes this.
  10. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Still waiting for it....

11. Thoughtships

Frustrating, but believe me, it's worth it!

ytserush likes this.
  12. Norco74

Watched this one last weekend. All good.

Really like the way they have divided the concert in 2 parts: FEAR and other songs with string quartet + guests.

The visual add-on to the FEAR concept.

ytserush and Thoughtships like this.
  13. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Enjoyed the CDs a few times this week. Hope to dig into the DVD this weekend.

Thoughtships likes this.
  14. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I have only played this a few times but musically this is fantastic and the FEAR album really comes alive for me in the live setting. I haven't bothered with the DVD as I play them once and almost never go back to them.

H sounds a but subdued on this performance though in his between song banter.......was it the venue or was it a more visual appreciation??

15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

A lot of their video releases (most?) are from the conventions, which sort of look like they're staged in warehouses used for early 1990's raves.

16. Thoughtships

The ones recorded in Port Zelande look like that... It's actually a huge tent put up for the Convention.

But there are plenty of DVDs recorded elsewhere... Montreal, London Forum, now the RAH....

What matters is the music... And their live shows are usually brilliant.

I saw them in Bristol last month. They were awesome. :)

17. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I have to say, I think Marillion are one of the few bands that I prefer the live recordings to the studio albums.

mikedifr0923 and ytserush like this.
  18. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Belfast and Dublin were both great too. They finished with El Dorado in Belfast, but opened with it in Dublin, and the difference was staggering, with the placement in the latter show much more effective. The Leavers in Dublin was also magnificent.

19. Thoughtships

Funny you should say that, it was The Leavers that blew the roof off in Bristol. The gig was subdued til then... And after that song the place was electric.

ytserush and Sammy Waslow like this.
  20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

The Leavers is perhaps the best thing they have done in 20 years.

Norco74 likes this.
  21. Stephen Birkett

Stephen Birkett Forum Resident

Cant see this on Amazon Uk. Where can I get this?

22. Fletcher MH

Fletcher MH Forum Resident

23. Norco74

Let’s see in a few years. This is what I like with Marillion, a lot of their songs are growers and take some times to unfold. Obviously requiring the listener’s attention and dedication.

I have a better appreciation of FEAR since I watch the video. I am quite sure the studio version will be my go to version but still need to work on it.

24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Which one was the London Forum? There's so many, I can't keep up. I used to buy them all but kinda stopped after I had more than I could ever get around to watching.

25. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Will they be featuring the drummer who was in a hostage situation at a Norwich radio station?

Calling All Stations likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.