Marquee Moon is truly timeless

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Halfwit, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Agree, the title track of Adventure is great, and really should have been included in the original. Over the years (only 10 years, for me), I've found Adventure just as wonderful as Marquee Moon, but a nice compliment that isn't identical.

2. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I have the original 70's U.K. Elektra vinyl pressing. The vintage Fenders 'twang' just right on that one.

sonofjim likes this.
  3. Williamson

Williamson Forum Resident

Great to hear the love for this album. I listened to it tonight, it never lets you down. I'm not sure what re-issue I have, but it's definitely not Four Men With Beards. My girlfriend had never heard it before and was laughing at the audacious interplay on 'Prove It.' Definitely timeless - one of the twenty best albums I've ever heard.

4. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Forum Resident

I literally just started skimming through Marquee Moon and Adventure upon hearing about them on this forum yesterday and it's been a while that I immediately like what I'm hearing. I've also been skimming through Uriah Heep's stuff trying to get into them, and no disrespect but they're gonna have to take a back seat to Television.

driverdrummer and Lightworker like this.
  5. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Don't forget to search out Richard Lloyd's and Tom's solo albums, they are all just about as great as the Television LPs.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 3:18 AM
    Fullbug and mooseman like this.
  6. There are echoes of verlaine/lloyd on an album by a one man band called east river pipe called "poor fricky"!"haunting" is how I describe "marquee moon"....pure perfection!!!

7. There a verlaine double c.d. comp....greatest hits disc 1....live at the marquee on the 2nd. C.d.!!"a miller's tale" it is called.....amazing set!!!!

zobalob, rockerreds and DesertChaos like this.
  8. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Verlaines solo albums are well worth owning especially the first s/t, Flash Light, Cover, Words From The Front and the truly marvelous Dreamtime.

9. I love verlaine solo as well....never caught him live....almost did in the early 80''s though cancelled due to flu!"!imagine...an entire concert cancelled due to the flu ya honna!yes...obligatory "my cousin vinny"!!!

10. Wow I had no idea,t.v. played m.f.p...I grew up in Roslin heights...my folks still live there and I was fortunate to see Los Angeles punk band "x" there!!amazing club which I wished I'd gone to more often obviously!

11. Saint Johnny

Agreed!
    But the first two Richard Lloyd solos are just as good, and are still among my favorite LPs ever.

ralphb likes this.
  12. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Richard's solo lps, outside of a song here and there, never did it for me. He had a great band and they were excellent live (when not too stoned) but the records, not so much. YMMV.

Mitland likes this.
  13. Saint Johnny

I remember seeing Richard live in the late 80s, at a little club/bar out in western NJ, probably 60 miles due west of Manhattan. Where besides me and my friends, NO ONE else in the entire place knew who they were. The 20-30 people there thought they were a local pick up band. :biglaugh:And they WERE great that night.

rockerreds and ralphb like this.
  14. The connection.....?!!coltrane!!!

15. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Well-Known Member

Good stuff. Never got to see Television regrettably, but I did get to see Richard Lloyd open up for the Golden Palominos at the The Ritz in '86
    on a rare trip to NY. Now you guys have me on a mission to dig up some Television... might as well, I'm playing everything in sight tonight. lol

16. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Venus Di Milo is exquisite.

rockerreds likes this.
  17. john fisher

john fisher Active Member

18. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Don't forget the live Television albums too.

pobbard and rockerreds like this.
  19. Kassonica

Kassonica Well-Known Member

Truly a masterpiece and one of the best records from the 70's.

20. For those in any doubt, go listen to A Sailor's Life off Unhalfbricking, the long closing duet section of Thompson and Swarbrick, or, to a lesser extent, something like Sloth.

IIRC, Verlaine denied having heard any Richard Thompson until after they'd done MM, but I never believed that - when I first heard MM on release (still have a very early vinyl copy), aside from thinking "Wow! This is chuffing brilliant!", my first thought was "Aaaaah, a Richard Thompson fan."

21. erowid

erowid Active Member

Marquee Moon belongs to my List of Life-changing-Top-10 Records. It's essential listening, timeless and will hopefully also work its magic on future generations of rock lovers.
    That said, time to hunt for an original pressing. All I have is the remastered Rhino CD and the Rhino Vinyl reissue. While both sound pretty good (and Little Johnny Jewel became essential listening too) I think a nm original pressing would play on another level of pleasure. Any recommondations on what to get?

22. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Best heard at a dive bar at 2 am

23. Lightworker

From a 2018 perspective, I hear a lot of parallels between Television and U.K. electric folk pinnacles like Fairport Convention or Trees circa 1969-70. As far as I've
    gleaned from interviews, neither Lloyd nor Verlaine were aware of these artists/albums when Television was a C.B.G.B.s fixture or an Elektra-signed act. The
    lamer reviewers of the first two Television albums back in the 70s often evoked comparisons to The Velvet Underground and/or The Grateful Dead. That is something
    that I don't hear at all, other than the fact that there are two guitars involved. What I heard was a jazz improvisational-influenced guitar band borrowing instrumental tones and riffs from San Francisco and Los Angeles 60s two-guitar bands like Quicksilver Messenger Service, The Electric Prunes And Moby Grape. Even in his later solo
    work, Verlaine still inserted Jorma Kaukonen ("Red Leaves") and Ken Williams ("Ancient Egypt") guitar licks in unexpected places.

Blank Frank and Jim Walker like this.
  24. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

You should hear their early material, Jesus, they were rough!

Lightworker likes this.
  25. Lightworker

The Neon Boys tracks are more '60s garage meets early glam than actual proto-punk.
    That's probably why I like them so much.

pobbard likes this.