MARVEL'S Doctor Strange - November 4, 2016*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by zobalob, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

alexpop, Tree of Life and xdawg like this.
  2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Well, he looks the part, by the hoary hosts of Hoggoth!

3. Dok

Dok Senior Member

4. Dok

Dok Senior Member

5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The thing about this one is that he's not a physical fighter (although I seem to remember some references to some martial arts training). Therefore it's gonna be A LOT of 'posing' while using his powers. Nothing gets a bigger laugh from me than when I see a Halle Berry snarling while shooting her lightning bolts! I just can't help but imagine how ridiculous it must look when they're shooting the scenes! As much of a fan as I am of the character, I'm definitely gonna wait and see how it's recieved. Hey, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised, they did a great job with Guardians and I've even heard that Ant-man wasn't that bad (haven't seen it).

6. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

I think this will be great. I wouldn't mind a treatment of the old comic
    "Werewolf by Night" with Marlene the Gorgon as the antagonist.

7. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Yea it's gonna take something special to make it interesting. But as for me, I hope they bring the entire Marvel Universe to film.

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And here's the regular trailer:

I think somebody accidentally cut several shots from Chris Nolan's Inception into the end of the trailer... :sigh:

Encuentro likes this.
  11. alexpop

This could be one gigantic snooze fest, or a magical spell that makes you double dip by not only watching the theatrical showing, but buying a physical copy as well.

12. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

From my perspective Dr. Strange looks promising and with Marvel's track record I sure wouldn't bet against it. The teaser-trailer doesn't completely sell it, but it does provide sufficient curiosity. I'm sure a second or third trailer released in the summer and fall closer to the release Utah. date will provide more visual eye cato establish the character and the other worldly magical dynamics. It doesn't appear riskier than any of Marvel Entertainments other projects except for the main character's reliance on magic as a super power. Challenging as this may be to fit into the current Marvel universe, magic has been handled well in other series from Harry Potter to the Hellboy films and developed solid fan followings. Benedict Cumberbatch being cast as Dr.Strange looks good. We'll see.

:cheers:
    Cat

13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I like the look of the movie in that first teaser. Looks like they've gone to town on all the inter-dimensional stuff, out-of-body experience, etc. Benedict looks perfect and Tilda I suppose (although an old Tibetan would have been nice).
    Love that Ditko window in his pad!
    Bring it on! :goodie::goodie:

14. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

Well, looks like it's already the most hated Marvel movie ever before its release and it's all over the casting of one particular character. [​IMG]

15. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

It is an unfortunate problem given that this is the year that diversity became such a brouhaha at the Academy Awards, no doubt exacerbated by the current political climate. Unfortunately, Marvel can't turn the clock back on casting. I'm sure that Dr. Strange has been in production over two years and was probably cast long before this became such a thorny issue for all filmmakers. If this movie had been released last year the topic might've still been an elephant in the room, but muted. Today, it's such a hot button issue that it wouldn't surprise me if studio lawyers are called in by casting directors to help assess the correct selection of available actors for roles based on race, culture, language, etc. I don't envy Marvel Entertainment's situation in dealing with the PR fallout, but if the film is as well made as other Marvel Studios productions have been it may not negatively impact the BO.

:cheers:
    Cat

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  16. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Marvel has already gender-flipped characters, to very good effect. I don't think it will be a problem. In fact, I'd say it's brilliant casting.

17. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I think it's less the gender flip that's causing the issue but the casting of a white actor.

18. alexpop

Hope I'm wrong, but this could be Marvel's next flop.

19. davenav

Ah.

Well, I hope it doesn't become too big an issue. She's a fine actor, and I'm sure she'll rock the part.

20. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I agree.

21. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:) Well, nobody complained when Naomie Harris (btw, very good actress and very hot lady), was cast to play Moneypenny in "Skyfall" and "Spectre", so I'm OK with Swinton performing as The Ancient One...

Wounded Land likes this.
  22. davenav

Remind me again - what was the first one?

23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I always enjoyed the unique (and, as I got older, silly) languages of the Doctor Strange and Thor franchises. They had their own worlds to reference.

Wasn't Doctor Strange technically a series, like Strange Tales or something? I seem to remember it wasn't actually "his" comic book . . .

24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

He began in Strange Tales and shared issues with Nick Fury. I don't know at which stage he got his own comic book.

25. alexpop

FF reboot( did you really have to ASK). :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.