Marvin Gaye - 'Let's Get it On' SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GoldenBoy, Nov 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater Thread Starter

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think anyone has started a thread on the recent SACD release of this classic title. My personal opinion on this one is that the sound is a bit harsh and a little too boosted in the high-end, but the 5.1 mix is excellent. I particularly like the 5.1 mix for 'You Sure Love to Ball'; it is very enveloping and involving. Opinions anyone?

2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I thought it's a great title for SACD... I'm happy with the Deluxe Edition.

Anyway a fantastic record... one of my favorites!

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I generally agree. I think "Just to Keep You Satisfied" is my favorite of the 5.1 mixes. I haven't really A/B'd the stereo with other masterings to see how it compares yet.

Regards,

4. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater Thread Starter

Don't get me wrong, I thought the sound quality was pretty good. I just think they could have laid off the 'treble knob' a bit. ;) and it seems to be lacking a little in the warmth department.

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I have not the SACD... who did the remastering?

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It has that digital eq sound to it which doesn't bother me too much unless a lot gets applied, but rarely sounds "warm".

It was mastered by Darcy Proper at Sony. Here's the earlier thread on the subject.

The Gavin Lurssen CD mastering of this album from the mid-90s was darker, almost to a fault, and is probably the best digital 2-channel version out there.

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.