Marvin Gaye "What's Goin On" MFSL SACD*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by let him run..., Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What the heck...on the redbook layer of the MFSL disc of What's Going On the ending of the song "What's Going On" is weird. It's usually a smooth transition into "What's Happening Brother" but the redbook layer most certainly is not smooth. There is a fregin second at the end of the song where it's just tape noise. Is the SACD layer like this? Grrrrrrr.

2. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I don't know what a "fregin second" is, and I don't have the SACD yet. But the transition from song 1 to song 2 is not smooth at all on my CD (Motown 530 022-2, (c) 1993): There is about 1.5 seconds of silence (tape hiss) at the end of song 1.

3. I have the deluxe version and it doesn't have the 1.5 seconds. Anyone have the original vinyl to compare?

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

There should be a bit of silence between those two songs - they should not transition right into each other like the rest of the side. Also "Inner City Blues" (from the original side 2) has silence leading into it as well.

5. I really appreciate the responses. It's one of my favorite records and it was eating away at me. :wave:

6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The MFSL SACD actually was far tighter and more linear than the domestic Marvin Gaye Collection SACD that only had two songs from What's Going On. Although I haven't listened to the mch tracks on that SACD.

7. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Does anyone have the LP? Is track 1 supposed to segue into track 2, which haastilecreation reports that the deluxe edition does, or is there supposed to be a pause of about 1 or 1 1/2 second?

8. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

There is 1.5 second pause on my copy of the Deluxe Edition CD, contrary to what haastilecreation reports. Same on my MFSL LP. Unfortunately I don't have an original LP to compare.

Tom

9. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

interesting how some people buy "double" titles, I was think the same, but I prefer vinyl than cds... but if you buy both, which you listen more? whats the idea of buy on both formats?

10. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I dont have any Marvin on Vinyl and I love that 2 albums, so I can buy the 2 mofi, are the best choice right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

I have both the MoFi Marvin LPs and I am very happy with both. And for the most part, I don't like most reissues. But I'm very pleased with the MoFi LPs I have.

12. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

you read my way to think "I DONT like reissues!!!" I always search for 1st pressings of all albums, but well if Mofi and others give us good quality, why not buy? thank you, I go to buy it!!! I love that 2 albums... my first marvin on vinyl ;) (maybe later I buy 1st pressings for collecting) thank you

13. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Bump.

14. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

The Deluxe Edition does eliminate the gap between the tracks. The title track fades to black, and then "What's happening brother" immediately starts.

The MoFi has that second or so of silence, i.e. title track fades out > second or so of silence > track 2, which I think is how the original LP was.

Seems like they made a deliberate choice to remove the gap on the Deluxe, for whatever reason.

15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The MFSL is my favorite pressing.

16. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

I think it's very well balanced tonally, analogue like, but clearer. Great sound quality.

17. Thanks. I didn't have an original pressing to compare the MFSL to. I had been listening to the Deluxe edition for a while so I was used to the bit of silence not being there.

18. tubesandvinyl

You're welcome! Enjoy the LPs.

19. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

thanks, what about mofi silver line? you like it? are from master tapes mmm curious

20. tubesandvinyl

I don't have any of the MoFi Silver Line. The only MoFi LPs I have are: Here's Little Richard, What's Going On, Let's Get it On, Cars S/T, Allman Brothers Idle Wind South. They all sound great!

21. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

talking about cars, I have in mind buy all 3, I love the cars and I dont have any on vinyl... so mofi can be a good option, and maybe buy too the 1st pressings for compare

22. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

I have an original UK LP (STML 11190 A-1 and B-1) and there is no gap between tracks 1 and 2. I can't, however, confirm that this is also the case for the original US Tamla LP.

(The UK and US vinyl pressings of Stevie's "Music Of My Mind", for instance, have differences in the way that tracks 2 and 3 - "Superwoman" and "I Love Every Little Thing ABout You" - segue together.)

The fact that the Deluxe Edition of WGO reflects the original UK LP suggests, however, that the tracks shouldn't have a gap between them.

23. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I receive this email today from mofi

24. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

I believe that the way that the bass sounds on this album is essentially a result of decisions made during the final mixing in LA.

The whole album is mixed more like a classical album than a soul album. On most tracks the rhythm section is therefore mixed to be just part of a larger orchestra. This means that we can't expect the bass to sound like it does on more traditional Motown recordings from that era. This is most noticeable on tracks 2 through 6. ("Right On" and "Inner City Blues" add some extra grit and guts.)

Even the really deep bass on "Mercy, Mercy Me" doesn't sound like normal Motown bass. It's nearly all bottom end and no middle, giving it a serious floor shaking quality that, when played on some equipment, can also cause the breaking up of the higher frequency information on the track, i.e. everything other than the bass.

If the album were remastered in an attempt to give it a more traditional Motown bass sound, then the rest of the mix would suffer as well, i.e. we'd be throwing the baby out with the bath water. All of the tracks, including "Mercy, Mercy Me" would probably sound bloated in the lower mid-range, and the near-classical feel would be lost.

(The 1998 20-bit remaster goes some distance down this road. As a result, in my house it stays in its diamond case.)

Even the "Detroit Mix" of this album, although more focussed on the percussion section than the LA mix, is relatively light on the bass on tracks 2 - 6. This suggests to me that really heavy, hard-hitting bass was never part of the plan for those tracks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.