Mary Tyler Moore R.I.P.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MaggieMac, Jan 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Dick Van Dyke tweets about last night's show on CBS:

Twitter »

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Like many others here, I'm sure, I had a huge crush on her during her Laura Petrie days. Very sorry to hear this. RIP, Mary.

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  4. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

A classy and pretty much irresistible actress!

Requiescat in Pacem, Mary!

5. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

So far the 20/20 tribute is excellent! I hope they keep this up!

6. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Yes, a much better tribute aired last night on ABC's 20/20. They even mentioned and showed Oprah, though her time in the documentary was measured in seconds - not half-hours.

7. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Agree! It took another network than her own to pay a proper tribute to Mary.

8. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

I loved her so much. As big a music addict that I am her passing hit me more than any of the artists that passed in the last year. Grew up as a kid (born 1954) watching Dick Van Dyke show in the 60's and as a teen/young man loving her show in the 70's (although I have to confess I had a bigger crush on Rhoda!).Have the entire MTM series on DVD and most of Dick . I wasn't a big Broadway show attendee in the 80's but when she appeared in one, "Sweet Sue" (1987), I said to my girlfriend, "We gotta go, I want to see Mary!!"

Rest in peace Mary. You really did turn the world on with your smile.

Gumboo, MikaelaArsenault and Benno123 like this.
  9. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Gee, after hearing all this about Okra, I'm glad I missed the first 1/2 hour of the program.

Benno123 likes this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

lucky man

ted321 and Benno123 like this.
  11. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Was watching a Mary Tyler Moore marathon on Sundance Channel yesterday, I didn't realize how good a show it was. I need to watch more!

12. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

After Barbara Billingsly (The Beave's mom) Mary was the woman/mother that often the 60s that was interesting to watch.

Then in the 70s, her own show was one of THE must see shows. Her, Carol Burnett and Bob Newhart made for a solid lineup to watch for many years in the 70s.

She was a great actress and person from all I've seen. Her life was in the news more than news about her show. RIP Mary

13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

It seems to me that for years, the media tried to find dirt on Mary to show that the smile was fake, and they couldn't find any. Of course, there was the suicide of her son, but it's not like that was a secret.

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I think there was a quote this week from her about the way she dressed on Dick's show--'Women don't do housework in a dress and heels'. I kinda felt that was a reaction against the Donna Reed show. Whenever I see that show, there's Donna (a super attractive gal, of course) in a really nice dress, high heels, perfect hair, etc.

15. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Watching TMTMS on Hulu

18. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

Thanks for posting that, didn't know it took place.
    What a great tribute to a great actress.

As soon as I scrolled and saw that 'YouTube' still frame in your post, I actually teared up a tad, 'cause I immediately knew where it was headed, without even seeing the text at the top.

I bookmarked the YT link and hope when I watch it in the future I won't get the same contradictory reaction...ironic huh?

Being a young kid watching Lucy reruns, I was at first of course, drawn to her over the top reactions, such as her Waaaaaah type crying and such.

Mary had her Mr. Graaaaaaant and perhaps here occasional stuttering etc, both of which were funny.

However, like Lucy, her real talent was in her ability to deliver and sell a funny line or reaction in a totally dramatic and believable way, which ain't the easiest of tasks without looking like you're acting.

I've got the complete seasons of the DVD & the MTM shows and as soon as I'm finished here, I'm gonna watch a couple of each.

xilef regnu likes this.
  19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

sca
    She was a nice person to meet too, talkative and easy going. So told me about her film career and early plum roles she appreciated - like Elvis Presley's girlfriend in a 1969 movie was pretty awesome.

[​IMG]

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I just found this thread and had no idea! R.I.P., Mary!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.