Massdrop Sennheiser HD-6xx (aka. HD-650) $199

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by whaiyun, Nov 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

How do you find a local headphone group? Craigslist?

2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Head-Fi: Head-Fi.org

3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

4. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

These are still available on massdrop. Debating...

5. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

They were sent a few weeks ago. Are people signing up for another drop?

BTW, I have them. Wow. They’re like a scarily more-realistic version of the HD595 (which I love). Webcor SET amp upstairs; Pioneer SA-8100 downstairs.

6. souladdikt

souladdikt Forum Resident

They are dropping daily right now. They are in stock and available to ship.

Bill Larson and McGuy like this.
  7. McGuy

I don’t understand how this works. It says in stock and ships in one day. Does that mean I’d i buy them I’ll have them shortly? And there is no issue with using these with my preamp McIntosh c47 headphone jack right? Thanks

8. McGuy

Thanks soul! So should I get these?!?!?!?!? I’ve never bought headphones. I have booze canceling Bose for the plane but...different animal. Or do I get some grados?

9. souladdikt

Some will tell you that you need a dedicated headphone amp to get the most out of the HD6XX. I agree, but they are very enjoyable when I'm listening to them through the headphone jack of the integrated amp in my office. You might find them too laid back for rock. I haven't liked the lower end grados that I've listened to, though some people think they do well with rock music.

displayname and McGuy like this.
  10. McGuy

Dammit! I just need someone to tell me what to buy! (Yes, I know better...)

11. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

I would do it— you won’t regret it.

They sound fantastic with a modest amount of high-quality amplification. They will sound a little distant out of the box, but mine cleared their throats after about 4 hours of break-in.

displayname and McGuy like this.
  12. Ham Sandwich

I suspect the headphone amp in the C47 will work fine. I haven't heard the C47 headphone output, but McIntosh is known for putting more than adequate headphone amps in their pre-amps. They don't cheap out by putting something cheap and inadequate in their gear.

The headphones are only $199. If you don't like them you'll be able to sell them here on the forum. Low financial risk to try them.

souladdikt, displayname and McGuy like this.
  13. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

You will have them shortly. I got the 4XX with an in stock order, and they ship right away. It's via SmartPost, so it's not always the fastest shipping, but they get them out the door quickly. Shouldn't be more than 10ish days to your door, but could be just a couple.

I've heard people getting the 6XX and maybe having a preference for other cans, but I feel like no one regrets buying these. If I used headphones more often, I consider them as a different flavor to mix things up. And Ham Sandwich has a good point, if you don't like them you can flip them pretty easily for minimal loss.

McGuy likes this.
  14. souladdikt

Well, if you you're asking me to spend your money then I say buy them. And might as well pick up the Massdrop CTH or Liquid Carbon to power them because you might start wondering what you're missing. :D

McGuy likes this.
  15. EJ13

EJ13 New Member

I am seriously thinking of ordering these to use with my Pioneer XPD-30R in balanced mode.

Do I need an amp and if so is there a 99.00 amp that will work in balanced mode? Not sure if this makes a difference so bare with me.

16. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

"bear with me." "bare with me" involves nudity :shh:

DonnyMe likes this.
  17. EJ13

EJ13 New Member

Bear (B-E-A-R) with me is a request for forbearance. Forbearance is a noun meaning self-control, patience, tolerance. It also contains the word bear, which makes it easy to associate both words together.

18. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Got my pair about 2 weeks ago. After purchase they arrived in 5 days time. I have very little headphone experience, but can say that they sound amazing to me. And for 200 bucks, low financial risk. I am really happy i got these.

displayname and Wasabi like this.
  19. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Mine came last week. Then I managed to win a bottlehead crack/speedball on eBay. Say down last night for first real listen. Man! I’m totally new to headphones but this sounds pretty outstanding

displayname likes this.
  20. Ham Sandwich

The HD6xx headphones are unlikely to be a good pairing with the Pioneer XDP-30R. The Senns are not a portable friendly headphone. The headphones need more power at higher impedance than most portables do well. The Pioneer does 150 mW at 32 ohms in balanced mode. But no mention of how much power at 150 ohms or 300 ohms.

The Massdrop HD58x Jubilee is 150 ohms. Slightly easier to drive than the HD6xx. But still not likely to be a good choice with the Pioneer even in balanced mode.

Better choice with a portable like that is to stick to portable friendly headphones. Headphones with lower impedance and higher efficiency. There are some good sounding portable friendly headphones. And some that can be converted to balanced cables. Look for headphones like that rather than the Senns.

21. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I have heard that these are made in China for Massdrop (ie, not manufactured by Sennheiser in Europe ).

If you look at the Massdrop listing is says Made by Massdrop.

So is Massdrop licensing the design and subbing out the manufacturing?

22. Ham Sandwich

My HD6XX and HD58X both say Made In Ireland stamped on the headband. Just like my HD580, HD600, and HD650.

23. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Made by Massdrop seems more like a branding initiative for all Massdrop exclusive variations and models. I don’t believe Massdrop is actually taking on the manufacturing of most of these products. Exceptions might be items that are purely MD items like that Cavalli amps.

McGuy likes this.
  24. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Is there a chance that the “Made In Ireland” stamp was made in China?:D

I also got the HD6XX early this year. I drive them with the Cavalli Liquid Carbon amp released by Massdrop in late 2017. I’m pretty happy with the combo, although I’d like to get a DAC with a more relaxed/laid back presentation (I have the original Rega DAC).

25. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I would like to get a pair, but I don't have an amp to drive them. I assume they won't sound good playing from a computer (my normal listening location). Am I correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.