Mastering BEACH BOYS "Pet Sounds" again, leaving the "2 db step fades" intact...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

So I'm working on PET SOUNDS again for 24 karat Gold CD and it's been a long time since I've played the album from start to finish. I've enjoyed hearing it again in order and I am picking up on stuff on the original mixes that I have not heard before, the subtle stuff that is buried but nonetheless audible when listening on a high quality playback system. Let's face it, this album will never, but never be a sonic masterpiece but it is one of the greatest albums ever made so we must take it at face value. Since Brian Wilson worked so hard on it, what is on the tape (even the most subtle stuff) is there for a reason. I have made sure that the new Audio Fidelity Gold CD (and hopefully 180 gram LP in a few more months) is as true to the original 1966 LP release and the ORIGINAL INTENT as humanly possible.

Since the mono original album mix is the only authentic version of the album in existence I've tried to keep as true to what Brian Wilson wanted as possible this time. It's poison to second guess some sonic decisions that were made in the good old year 1966 but one thing Brian didn't seem to be bothered by were the famous (infamous) "drop fades" that the old pots at Western Recorders had implanted on the fade-outs of most of the songs.

In other words, the fades have the volume dropping two db every turn of the knob until the sound just is killed at the end. If you've heard CALIFORNIA GIRLS on the DCC Gold CD I did of "Endless Summer" you have heard a "drop fade". I left it in there because I felt it was charming and I didn't want to do a smooth fadeout and gyp you of every bit of audible sound. Same goes for PET SOUNDS.

I have our half-inch mono head-stack 30 IPS AES Agfa-Gevaert full-bandwidth transfer that I made back in October or so of 1992 and consider it the best and most accurate version of the original release that exists in the world, having cobbled it together with the correct mixes for all songs including WOULDN'T IT BE NICE and a few bits and pieces of other songs that needed mending and my the new HDCD transfer is stone FLAT (neutral) as being played back on an Ampex ATR 100-2 with special vacuum tube electronics into our new A/D converter.

Point is with all of this, I left the fades "STRAIGHT". So you will hear exactly what Brian Wilson heard in the studio during the fade outs of all the songs. I did NOT help the fades at all. They are exactly like Chuck Britz did them at Western, sort of a bouncing down to quiet and then a steep and sudden drop-off. I find it totally authentic and (as I said earlier) quite charming but a few of you might find it disarming or just weird so I wanted to warn you about it in advance.

On the various cuttings I have heard of this album the mastering engineer always "helps" the fades of the songs by starting them early to avoid the two db drop offs but the consequence is that each song is shorter by a few seconds or even more. I can't stand that. Give me the entire song, as long as possible and then fade ON leader, not before it..

So, there you go. When you hear the new Audio Fidelity PET SOUNDS you will hear the wacky fades just as they were done in the studio by Chuck Britz and Brian Wilson (and incidentally just as they appear on the ORIGINAL first Capitol LP cutting). I have used NO noise reduction of any kind and no compression, limiting or anything of a compromising nature on this mastering. It is as pure as possible; there isn't even a mastering console in use, just the playback deck to the recorder with nothing in between.

Hope you dig it. Other than furnishing you with your own Altec 604 speaker to listen on and a McIntosh 60 to play it back through the regulation Universal Audio 610 module, this is the best I can do to bring you the Beach Boys wonderful PET SOUNDS as close as possible to Brian's vision. The first Capitol LP mastering (that was approved by Brian) sounds similar to this but the sonic compromises necessary at the time (in the minds of some Capitol execs) to cut a phonograph record that would play on the kiddie machines of the day meant that the top end on the record was filtered at 10,000 cycles above and 50 cycles below (sort of a flat, dead sound on the original LP was the result) and the compression ratio was 2:1 (at least). No such sonic compromises were put in to place during this new mastering. Let's not take authenticity too far!

We at Audio Fidelity hope you will enjoy the new PET SOUNDS.

See other threads for my thoughts on the Beach Boys stereo Chuck Britz "non-incredible two-handed early fades" and why they stink (and why they didn't have to be).

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=12179&postcount=7

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thanks for the info !

3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Wouldn't It Be Nice?

Can't wait to hear this version!! Apart from Dave Prokopy, I shall be the first person on my block to get one. I understand that it's an important album in rock history.

4. uglything

uglything New Member

Fab. But what I want to hear is Caroline, No at the right speed (not Murry's Chipmunks version) at the end of the album, fading into Banana and Louie and the train. Can you do that?

Edit: This is a serious request. If we're going to hear the album as Brian intended, we're going to hear his original recording of Caroline, No.

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Or putting it on reel-to-reel tape. :D

6. Even though I still have my DCC Gold copies of this album, I'll be joining the feeding frenzy when Audio Fidelity releases it again. Love the music and wanna see Steve and Marshall make AF a thriving outlet for classic music.:wave:

7. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Interesting Wiki article on the Altec 604s--knowing the sonic quirks of your studio monitors was paramount, back in the day.

These days, I spend a considerable amout of time "correcting" the mastering of the new CDs I buy. At the very least, I can use Audition to drop the volume to less ear-bleeding levels.

Too bad we can't clone ya, Steve... We need somebody like you in Europe. :sigh:

8. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

This sounds promising..

9. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Steve, everything you touch is pure gold, this is a must buy, i pray for a vinyl version but will get the cd as well.
    What about "today/ summer days...", is that coming out as well ? (it was mentioned for a possible release), if that comes out in vinyl i will die a happy man.

10. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

When is this new release due?

11. KAD

KAD Forum Resident

Steve, do you hear any audible changes in sound of the original master tape compared to your 1992 transfer. The original tape is not getting younger since 1966.
    Many people do think the analogue tapes lose high frequencies even stored properly. Is it so with Pet Sounds tapes?:help:

12. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

That's cool Steve. Just the way I'd like it, I do think. ;)

13. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

It's never been totally sure it was Murry's decision and we'll probably never know, so Pet Sounds as it is is as Brian intended it. Caroline No sped-up :thumbsup:

Rojo and oldsurferdude like this.
  14. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

I'm guessing that it would take several rounds of shock treatment to get Steve to tinker with history. Grab the "Pet Sounds Sessions" box for your request.

15. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Thanks for sharing this Steve! I'm looking forward to this. :)

16. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

I seemed to have missed this. Of what sort is the new converter?

17. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

So the new disc is HDCD?

My CD player doesn't decode HDCD...As I recall HDCD sounds a bit muffled when they are played through a plain vanilla CD player, so I guess I'll stick with my old DCC disc...or am I wrong about HDCD? :confused:

18. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I don't have HDCD decoding either and the previous Audio Fidelity discs (Faces, Bad Company etc.) all sound great to me.

If I remember right, the compatability issues were solved before any AF gold CD's were ever issued.

19. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Thanks for the info!

20. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Is "Hang On To Your Ego" going to be on the AF Pet Sounds?

21. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Many thanks for the info Steve. I'm really looking forward to adding another copy of Pet Sounds to my collection - hopefully this one will be the best yet!

Tom

22. Mr Alden

Mr Alden New Member

I can't wait to get this. Thank you Steve for keeping it authentic.

23. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Many thanks for your time posting that explanation of what you've been doing to Pet Sounds for us and look forward to buying it.

24. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Thanks Steve for keeping us in the loop. Can't wait!

25. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Excellent looking forward to that one :thumbsup:

Simon :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.